IGNORED

Guess this proves it

Black Owl

I don't know about all motorcycles but the RSTD is almost impossible to fuel without geting some kind of splash back even with low pressure pumps. With a high pressure pump it will splash back eveytime. I use a paper towel to keep it off the paint. This might work better. Yamaha for some reason put a metal baffel just below the filler neck and this causes the splash back.

This is more of a California problem. With their tighter (think - do anything that LOOKS like it will help whether it does or not) environmental standards, the gas pumps have a strict vapor recovery system. The spring loaded covering on the gas nozzle goes all the way to the end and can be difficult to retract to allow the nozzle to go into the tank.

Here in the Midwest, we don't have those problems and this certainly looks like a waste of money.

As for gas splashing on the tank when finishing the fill, punch out a couple of holes in the filler neck to release the offending trapped air and the problem will go away. You will also gain an additional 1/2 gal, or so, capacity. Instructions are here on the website.

RR

After the first couple of time I filled the RSTD up, I saw this device and read the reviews. Instead of buying it, I made my own out of some old 2" inside diameter PVC pipe that I had laying around. I cut it at 2 1/4" and it fits right over the fill hole. Works like a champ. No spillage, no fumes, and fills the tank to just below the bottom of the fill neck. I don't have to mess with the hose and it always clicks off at the right spot. I thought it was pretty smart. So I'm not sure what catagory I would fall in then. Smart or PT Barnum fodder. I figure if; I made it myself, I am not spilling gas all over the tank, not scrambling to keep it from hitting the hot engine, filling up easier, and not getting fumes, then that's not dumb.

Not Dumb at all....... Pretty smart really, the dumb part comes in at paying $20.00 bucks for what you made for under a buck...

I may try the PVC pipe trick myself.....

Thanks

After the first couple of time I filled the RSTD up, I saw this device and read the reviews. Instead of buying it, I made my own out of some old 2" inside diameter PVC pipe that I had laying around. I cut it at 2 1/4" and it fits right over the fill hole. Works like a champ. No spillage, no fumes, and fills the tank to just below the bottom of the fill neck. I don't have to mess with the hose and it always clicks off at the right spot. I thought it was pretty smart. So I'm not sure what catagory I would fall in then. Smart or PT Barnum fodder. I figure if; I made it myself, I am not spilling gas all over the tank, not scrambling to keep it from hitting the hot engine, filling up easier, and not getting fumes, then that's not dumb.

This is more of a California problem. With their tighter (think - do anything that LOOKS like it will help whether it does or not) environmental standards, the gas pumps have a strict vapor recovery system. The spring loaded covering on the gas nozzle goes all the way to the end and can be difficult to retract to allow the nozzle to go into the tank.

Here in the Midwest, we don't have those problems and this certainly looks like a waste of money.

I've hit a few stations with that style pump, and they are a real pain. Worth paying for a device such as this and carrying it with me? Hardly. Besides, with a 7-gal tank, I only have to fill up every 300 miles. :hihi:

When I pull into a Gas Station and see those fancy nozzles hanging on the Pumps I simply keep going. Those nozzles are a PITA IMHO.

Boomer......who's eye-hand coordination is not the best in the world even on a good day (And don't nobody blame it on mah sipping whiskey either!):rotfl:

I have splashback. An RSTD + an EPA air-quality non-compliance area (Houston) is a bad combination. We have that "great" spring-loaded vapor recovery system nozzle. When I ride on the weekends, I like to hit gas stations outside of the EPA-mandate zone so I can use the old-style nozzles.

I'll check out the PVC pipe idea, but for now I ride with extra paper towels.

I carry a pair of vice grips when I travel because of those damn spring loaded vapor locks. Friggin treehuggers.

I pull back the spring loaded cover and clamp the vice grips on the nozzle so it will pump the fuel and I can watch the level in the tank.

When I lived in Illinois, I would ride in MO, where they had those vapor sucking pumps.. I made a tool out of steel.. just forked the end of a flat plate.. kind of like a golf shoe spike installer tool...

You would pull back the spring sleve, then there was a hump on the nozzle.. just slide the tool over that, and it would hold the sleeve back to fill up normally.

I had totally forgotten about those PITA pumps I encountered last Aug on our trip to LosOsos. Man-oh-man did I cuss. We have nothing like those up here in CanuckLand. Why do they make those ridiculous pump nozzles like that anyway...could it be just to PO us bikers?

:think:

You know that OCC made a bike for them people, $100,000 or so now they have to pay for it.

Saw the OCC show where they were demoing them at a pump, no matter what they did, the gas did not overflow onto the tank, until Mikey did something stupid as usual and gas went everywhere.

I just don't want to carry something in a bag that will smell like gas all the time, produce of that myself. :rotf:

Why do they make those ridiculous pump nozzles like that anyway...could it be just to PO us bikers?

:think:

I understand they suck the gas vapors back into the pump, where they condense and become gas again or something. Otherwise, the gas vapors go into the atmosphere where they kill baby seals or something.

Here in Houston, we allegedly have such bad air that the EPA require pumps to trap the vapors to reduce ozone. Other areas have similar problems, or so the government says.

Not a problem. Put them in a Packer jersey and they think they're quarterbacks. :stirthepot:

Be careful with this. The Packer God/ ViQueen Killer may be heading your way on his retirement tour.

I wonder if he will be cheered or boo'd if he shows up in Lambeau wearing purple?

RR

Of course they will work in Canada, you just have to be in one of the 50 proper states of mind.

Here are a few examples:

State of shock

State of denial

State of anger

State of acceptance

State of desire

State of hope

State of belief

State of like

State of hate

State of consciousness

State of agitation