IGNORED

Driver painting nails kills biker at stoplight.

FutureVentures

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe there is justice after all:

WAUKEGAN, Ill. - Lake County authorities say a driver accused of painting her nails when she hit and killed a motorcyclist has turned herself.

Prosecutors say 48-year-old Lora L. Hunt of Morris was indicted on six counts of reckless homicide by a Lake County grand jury on Wednesday. She surrendered Thursday and was released on $10,000 bail.

Police say Hunt told them shortly after the May 2 accident that she was applying red polish to her nails as she drove at about 50 mph toward an intersection and did not see motorcyclist Anita Zaffke until after she hit her.

The 56-year-old Zaffke, who lived in Lake Zurich, was stopped at a traffic signal when she was struck.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-il-nailpolishdeath,0,4080674.story

She a nurse, we spend years in college become a Nurse, many hours yearly doing inservice training from everything to what to eat, to yes the dangers of traffic, seatbelts, car seats, bike safety, and yes I did inservice last on drivers multi-tasking behind the wheel.

Too look at every possible danger to our patient's and their famlies, she knows better, I would be ready to wager she has seen the damage first hand. If she ever worked in the ER, OR, ICU.

We are supposed to watch out for people, we are sworn TO DO NO HARM. anywhere.

I hope put her under the jail, just after they take Her Nursing licence.

She has disgraced us all.

Gregg Mathis RN

We all hate to see something like this happen to a biker let alone anyone, from a child walking to someone else in a car.

In today's world, most people think it is their right to drive--Everyone should remember that it is a priveledge.

Sad but true, accidents do happen. But when they happen because of gross neglegence, the courts need impose a very stiff penelty. The fact that the family could file a civil suit and gain some monitary value does not replace her life,and the insurance company would be paying, not the unintelegent woman that caused the accident. If the monetary value is more than what the insurance will cover, then and only then would she be responsable for the balance.

Where do the judges draw the line---is taking a drink of water gross negligence while driving? How many of us men are guilty of taking a second glance at a pretty woman walking on the sidewalk. You have just been distracted from your driving. We need to be careful what we wish for. Every year priveledges and rights get more confusing. Sometimes for the worse.

• 5 months later...

I see they keep pointing out that Anita Zaffke was wearing a helmet. That's great, but what difference does it make? It seems like superfluous information to me. Or am I not understanding why they keep mentioning it? It reminds me of a conversation I had with a couple acquaintances. They figured that if a motorcyclist, who wasn't doing anything wrong, wasn't wearing a helmet and got hit my a car that "Didn't see them", and got killed, that it would be the motorcyclists own fault they're dead. I argued that it would be the person driving the car that wasn't paying attention that would be at fault, PERIOD! I just don't understand some peoples ways of rationalizing things.

I also don't understand why we keep passing new laws that are supposed to protect us from other peoples stupidity when we don't bother to enforce them or any of the other laws that are already in effect for similar reasons. Unless of course there's an "accident". Then maybe we'll think about it. Every day I see these laws being ignored. But I'm just another citizen. Not a cop. So what can I do about about it? Nothing! So why should any of these people care if anybody sees them breaking these laws if it isn't a cop who is catching them in the act? I just don't think any of these laws are being taken seriously. Just my :2cents:

Thanks for the update. I had been wondering about that case. I also agree the mention of the helmet is kinda pointless. I guess it's to emphasis that the person riding was following the rules and trying to protect themselves. Unfortunately you can't protect yourself from someone who plows into you.

Margaret

Unfortunately you can't protect yourself from someone who plows into you.

Margaret

And the sad part (if there is a sadder part) is if she had tried to get out of the way and was killed by cross traffic, there would have been BIG headlines that: a motorcyclist was killed when she ran a red light! We cannot win!!!

Thanks for the update. I had been wondering about that case. I also agree the mention of the helmet is kinda pointless. I guess it's to emphasis that the person riding was following the rules and trying to protect themselves. Unfortunately you can't protect yourself from someone who plows into you.

Margaret

Not only was she wearing a helmet, she also had a neon green (yellow?) jacket on too, apparently she was VERY safety conscious.

I think mentioning the helmet answers the one question people often ask, not that it would have mattered since she was hit at 50+ mph from behind. Kinda similar to the question I think of when I hear of people being ejected from a car, were they wearing a seatbelt?

As things progress, I'll try to keep the updates coming.

Her son created a really nice website: http://www.blacknailbrigade.com/

Here's a pic of her in her jacket. How can you not see this???

Ya know, now that you guys point it out, I should have gotten that color of rain gear instead of the black and gray ones I did get. They have the reflective stripes like in the picture. But still, on a dark, rainy, and cloudy freeway, that bright green or yellow is much better. Hind sight is 20/20 as they say.

And you absolutely right. With that suit on... you almost have to try not seeing a person.

That being said, I did have a guy in an LTD pull out in front of me in my old wrecker. I wondered how he could NOT have seen me. It wasn't a small truck and it had a large light bar and a great big boom-lift on the back. He hit me hard enough to push me over quite a ways. It was an 9000 lb. truck! Luckily it was a city side street and I was only doing about 15 mph.

• 3 weeks later...
Ya know, now that you guys point it out, I should have gotten that color of rain gear instead of the black and gray ones I did get. They have the reflective stripes like in the picture. But still, on a dark, rainy, and cloudy freeway, that bright green or yellow is much better. Hind sight is 20/20 as they say.

And you absolutely right. With that suit on... you almost have to try not seeing a person.

That being said, I did have a guy in an LTD pull out in front of me in my old wrecker. I wondered how he could NOT have seen me. It wasn't a small truck and it had a large light bar and a great big boom-lift on the back. He hit me hard enough to push me over quite a ways. It was an 9000 lb. truck! Luckily it was a city side street and I was only doing about 15 mph.

We live in the "me generation:Im not listening to", nobody care about anyone else anymore.

• 1 month later...

I find the lawyers argument intersting. According to him if I load my gun with no thought of using and later I shoot someone I guess it would be only an accident. The only difference between a lawyer and a skunk in the road is there are skid marks in front of the skunk. Just my thoughts!:backinmyday:

I noted that her weasel, uh lawyer, thought she was unfairly being made an example of.

Well DAMN-IT THAT is exactly as it SHOULD BE!!!

I wish laws were such that she could spend several hours each day of her sentence (rain or shine) sitting in front of the court house holding a sign saying "I'll never again paint my nails while driving!!!"

I noted that her weasel, uh lawyer, thought she was unfairly being made an example of.

Well DAMN-IT THAT is exactly as it SHOULD BE!!!

Actually, I couldn't agree more with the lawyer.

Crap like this has been happening FAR TOO LONG for this to be the 'example case'... However, I certainly won't argue with it, since it FINALLY HAPPENED. Now that the precedent is set, hopefully the rates of these incidents will decline sooner.

Edited by LilBeaver
clarification

I didn't read the article other than what was posted here but... is it the victim's blood and urine or the person who hit her that they're checking?

From the article, my understanding that it is the victim's blood and uring results DA is waiting for.

As is usually the case, the driver of the cage will probably face only minimal charges and no jail time. Kill a biker, go to jail! - should be the norm.

:(

True, but I hope the victim's family members get expert legal advice and hire a lawyer.

There's no joy in this for anyone but, the driver painting her fingernails that killed Anita Zaffke was found guilty.

Sentencing to occur later, probation is an option...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/northnorthwest/ct-met-nail-polish-trial-0507-20100506,0,7086850.story

Thanks for the update. I'll be putting this on the agenda for our ABATE meeting Tuesday night. We've been following this all along.

We'll probably discuss it today during our Motorcycle Awareness Rally in Beaver Dam. We'll be holding up awareness signs for a couple hours on a busy street. Hope it helps wake up a few people.

As it is, one of our newer members will be sitting in a chair holding a sign that says "this is what happens when you don't look twice" He has 13 broken bones in his foot from a left turn cager that "didn't see him" a week ago.

Thanks Again, Scooter Bob

I attended the memorial ride Anita's son arranged. There were ~500 bikes in attendence. I hear Hunt got up to 5 years in prison last week.

Yeah, I really wanted to make that ride, as it was in my general area but other things prevented me.

Lora Hunt hasn't been sentenced yet, she could get up to 5 years or she could just get probation. I'm guessing, sadly, she'll get probation and I hope I'm wrong.

Poignant article written yesterday, Mother's day:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-05-09/news/ct-met-nail-polish-0509-20100509_1_anita-zaffke-remembering-nail-polish