IGNORED

Headlight& Dash light problems

I got out of work last night , and much to my dismay , my dash and headlights were not working. I did have my newly in stalled driving lights so I was able to limp home. The driving lights were not exactly adjusted right but I did get to see the tops of all the trees on the way home. This morning I checked the fuses and not being too electrial inclined ,I decided to check our website before I did any major damage to my bike. Sure enough, the first forum on 1st Gen light problems suggested WD-40 in the ignition switch. I tried it an now have my headlights and dash lights back This is the best website I use , and the members are the best at helping others and sharing their knowledge.

• 1 year later...
Guest byekryam

So far reading all the responses here, it seems to either be a loose fuse, gummed up ignition switch (for key), or a sticky (gummed up) starter switch for me. I went to work, had no lights, switched and took the car, then came home and they were working again when I checked them (baffling). I will check these three tomorrow. If anyone has any additional input let me know. I'm hoping not to have to dig any deeper as everything else seems to get really complicated and timly.

Thanks,

Woody

• 5 months later...
Guest byekryam

OK, I had this problem once before, kinda. I went to work one night and the dash and headlight was out. After much todo, I realized it was the kill switch in the starter switch which was working like it's supposed to when you start the bike to kill the lights so all the power goes to the starter. Mine was stuck in just a hair which was keeping it from allowing the lights to come on. Wiggle it a little bit and wah-lah, lights again. That was some time ago.

Now some time later (six months maybe), I finally can ride my bike again cause the threat of ice is gone (finally!). I rode to work and all was dandy. On the way home (in the dark) I lost the lights 45 mins from home. They were blinking. Sometimes on sometimes off. Last 15 mins completely off. Not fun. I tried to wiggle the switch, nothing.

Needless to say, the next morning, I thought maybe having not rode the bike in a month cause of the extreme weather, maybe corrosion built up on the connectors. I got some greaseless lubricant and shot it in by the starter switch and wiggled the hell out of it trying to maybe have the contacts rub together and make better connection (so as not to have to take the whole switch apart). The lights were on and I was a happy camper.

Couple hours later I take the bike to work and 1st bump, the headlight and dash lights go out again (in the dark). So home I went to get the car, and off to work I went.

Question is this........... Is it that I need to take the whole switch apart and clean everything up? For some reason I don't believe that there's a fuse that does the headlight and the dash lights together (I hope I'm wrong, I'd rather replace just a loose fuse and be done with it). All the rest of the lights are on. It seems like the bumps are what is somehow triggering this phenominon.

Any suggestions? This happen to anyone else?

Thanks, Woody

Guest byekryam

I'm going to check the fuses. It seems like the headlight fuse is behind the front fairing, but I don't see on any posts here where there might be a fuse for the dash lights. I think there's 3 fuse boxes. One behind each front fairing and then it looks like one on top of the battery. I'd like to know before I start ripping into this thing.

Thanks, Wood

Might be time for a fuse panel upgrade kit from skydoc.

Search fuse panel under this forum and you will see how I did mine.

Did not have to take the fairing apart, but I did see other fuse boxes that held the auto type fuse. If you need wiring diagrams they are under the first gen tech info, or search for them. Sounds like a loose connection to me, I am sure the experts will show up as I am still in the freshman class working on these bikes.

Good luck, let us know.

The first and easiest to check is the fuse panel,,, take all them fuses out and check the contacts to make sure that they are tight and clean,,,, best though is to either change the contacts or the whole fuse panel,,, not a biggy, just need to find the right parts. I would also suggest to take apart and clean the switch,, takes a little time and patience, but then any future problems will also be averted.

OK, I had this problem once before, kinda. I went to work one night and the dash and headlight was out. After much todo, I realized it was the kill switch in the starter switch which was working like it's supposed to when you start the bike to kill the lights so all the power goes to the starter. Mine was stuck in just a hair which was keeping it from allowing the lights to come on. Wiggle it a little bit and wah-lah, lights again. That was some time ago.

Now some time later (six months maybe), I finally can ride my bike again cause the threat of ice is gone (finally!). I rode to work and all was dandy. On the way home (in the dark) I lost the lights 45 mins from home. They were blinking. Sometimes on sometimes off. Last 15 mins completely off. Not fun. I tried to wiggle the switch, nothing.

Needless to say, the next morning, I thought maybe having not rode the bike in a month cause of the extreme weather, maybe corrosion built up on the connectors. I got some greaseless lubricant and shot it in by the starter switch and wiggled the hell out of it trying to maybe have the contacts rub together and make better connection (so as not to have to take the whole switch apart). The lights were on and I was a happy camper.

Couple hours later I take the bike to work and 1st bump, the headlight and dash lights go out again (in the dark). So home I went to get the car, and off to work I went.

Question is this........... Is it that I need to take the whole switch apart and clean everything up? For some reason I don't believe that there's a fuse that does the headlight and the dash lights together (I hope I'm wrong, I'd rather replace just a loose fuse and be done with it). All the rest of the lights are on. It seems like the bumps are what is somehow triggering this phenominon.

Any suggestions? This happen to anyone else?

Thanks, Woody

Sounds like you already isolated intermitant problem to starter switch. I would recommend disassembly and cleaning- watch for small parts, get all the old grease out.

I just looked at his profile and it's an '86 Venture. It is a good reminder though that folks should put their make and model in the custom title area of their profile. :)

To do so, just go to your UserCP and then click on "edit details" at the top of the left menu.

Guest byekryam

Yes, it used to be an '86, but this time it's an '87, but pretty much same bike. I was pretty sure you guys were going to say that (meaning take the whole switch apart), cause correct me if I'm wrong, there's no fuse or wire that does both the headlight and the dashlight, correct? The starter switch is the only component that isolates both at one time. But that means, from memory, that I have to disassemble all the top switches over that to get to the bottom switch in the right handed handlebar cluster.

I'm certainly going to try the fuses first just for the sake of arguement. It's the two in the right and left bottom cowling/fairing, and the one by the battery right? And the headlight is in the front ones, but where is the fuse/fuses for the dash lights? I don't remember seeing that labeled on any schematics.

Wood

Guest byekryam

Yes, I'm very familiar with Skydoc. I bought all my cables from him to redo them, and I've seen many posts on here about the fuse box upgrades which he sells.

Thanks

The headlight fuse powers both the headlight & dash lights. I think this is the first fuse from the front by the battery.

Head light fuse is a 15 amp fuse.

This circuit also goes through the engine start switch.

Below are links to wiring diagrams & switch cleaning.

Fully detailed schematic

http://www.venturerider.org/wiring/86-87%20Yamaha%20Venture%20DS%20Wiring%20Diagram%20Rev%20D.pdf

Simplified version of schematic.

http://www.venturerider.org/wiring/86-89%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Simplified%20Circuit%20Diagram%20Rev%20D.pdf

Link to cleaning switch.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42433

Gary