IGNORED

Carburetor Syncronisers.

KiteSquid

AFAIK there are four affordable (Under $100) carb sync tools on the market for four cylinder motorcycles.

The Morgan Carbtue which uses stainless steel rods do indicate vacuum levels about £55 (aprox US$82) or £62 (aprox US$92) with a tool pouch (Mechanical)

http://www.carbtune.co.uk/Images/SSL11411SC.jpg

Emgo Gauge Set which uses four vacuum gauges to indicate vacuum levels about $70 (Mechanical)

http://www.denniskirk.com/denniskirk/b2c/product_images/3/8/0/600pix/38040005.jpg

Motion Pro SyncPRO which uses "New mercury-free design uses non toxic manometer fluid" (Liquid) about $100.00

http://www.motionpro.com/images/enlarged/08-0411.jpg

And my personal choice the mercury manometer (AKA mercury Carb Sick) that costs about $55 and will NEVER go out of adjustment, however the mercury is not a nice substance to have around your home... and to transport it you need to drain it. (Liquid)

http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/media/parts/08-010.jpg

CLICK HERE TO BUY ONE if they still exist

Does anybody know of any other affordable (under $100) for the home mechanic Carburetor Synchronizer tools that are on the market???????

Edited by KiteSquid

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here ya go...

$10 Carb Sync

I made a set and it worked well for me. I would like to get that Emgo set of gauges just to verify the accuracy of the tool I built.

There was another thread on the Carbtune that questioned it's accuracy.

edit: Emgo and others also make a 2 gauge set that sells for $35-$45. A 2 gauge set just means that you have to move the hoses around as you make each of the three adjustments. And that would add, what? Another 4-5 mins to the job?

Edited by BigBoyinMS

If it was my comment you referred to, I questioned the accuracy of similar gauges that I have used here, but I've not actually used Emgo products. I'm sure expensive gauges could be accurate if looked after. Cheaper ones would have more variation and time, corrosion and the occasional impact could potentialy affect them more than stainless steel rod or mercury gauges.

Other people may have had different experiences, especially with different makes.

Here ya go...

$10 Carb Sync

I made a set and it worked well for me. I would like to get that Emgo set of gauges just to verify the accuracy of the tool I built.

The problem with that type of system is they only show the difference between the channels not the actual vacuum on each carburetor independently.

The Mercury and murcery replacement manometers like the Motion Pro SyncPRO and the Mercury carb sticks will always show true vacuum, until the earth's gravity changes.

There was another thread on the Carbtune that questioned it's accuracy.

edit: Emgo and others also make a 2 gauge set that sells for $35-$45. A 2 gauge set just means that you have to move the hoses around as you make each of the three adjustments. And that would add, what? Another 4-5 mins to the job?

The problem with moving a one or two channel indicator between cylinders is your operating conditions will not be the same as when you ran it before, they will be similar, but not identical. This adds a chance for an error to enter the process.

I am still convinced the four channel mercury manometer is the best value with the highest accuracy without the possibility of going out of calibration, until the earth's gravity changes.

Some may say that the Carbtune has a question about it's accuracy, But for what we use it for I say its close enough........ Used mine and I had no problems

Well, actually there's no Question about the Acuracy of the Carbtune. That's because, sooner or later, there's none left. Too many Variables involved.

I use a Boehm 4 Way Dial Gauge Set since 5 Years.

http://www.boehm-synchrontester.de/

http://www.boehm-synchrontester.de/canada_usa.html

I check them once in a while by coupling them together and plan on adjusting if necessary one Time in the Future. :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

The only real Thing you gotta remember, always open the Dampening Valves after use. There are O-Rings inside which flatten out over Time and you need to readjust the Damper anyway. These are Precision Instruments and they're not cheap.

But as often as i use them, i have already my ROI home. I want to have good Tools when i have to rely on them. I don't care about the Money in such Case. The Quality will always be remembered when the Price is long forgotten.

I have a Lot of Tools and you will find cheap Wrenches from China as well as very expensive Snap-On like Tools. The Tool has to fit it's Purpose. Each Tool, i don't care about shiny Chrome if the 10 mm Spanner is more 11.5 mm Wrench or the Box Wrench is bent like a Banana. The Lift from China lifts my Bikes not as silky smooth as a expensive American or German Product(which will basically come in most Cases from there anyway) but i don't care about how it lifts, but if it reaches the Height i need to have. Of Course some cheap Products have their Shortcomings, but i will tweak them to fit my Purpose.

Hey Squeeze,

I checked out the website you directed us to and because my German is a little rusty, could you please tell me what the four vaccume gage set-up you have costs?

By the way, I admire the fact that you can speak German AND English, If you asked Jean she says I can bearly speak english!!!:crackup:

Thanks,

Earl

Hey Lutz,

I tried the second link and it was in Kanuc (english)! $200.00 bills. I must say I am not to impressed with the Carbtune, I have been in contact with Sean at Morgan. I built a manifold to check the accuracy of the Carbtune and it was off. It worked well on the 86'VR but not so good on the 87'VR. I am bumbed! I do a fair amount of Carb. Syncs. so I guess @ bills isn't too much to ask. Does anyone know where someone can get a good Mecury Manometer from?

Earl

Earl, I'm really sorry to say but that's why i put in the second Link, you know, where "CANADA_USA" on the End of the Link is to be read. :rotf::rotf::rotf::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Sorry there are no Pics at their English Page, that's why i placed the German Link in first Place.

But no need for Compliments, I'm glad I'm able to write a bit in my "Kraut-English". :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: I have some Difficulties with the Grammar. You should hear me speaking English, terrible, to say it at least. :255::255:

Hey Kite,

I didn't think the mercury manometers were available any more. Where can I get one of the mercury manometers that you have pictured in your first post?:confused24:

Thanks for the help,

Earl

I too thought they were out of production due to some EPA regulation, but I used about 400 different Internet searches till I found them.

Just click on the photo of my first post in this thread. they are INEXPENSIVE compared to the other options and they will not go out of adjustment. Buy em before they run out.

But do be careful with handling and storage of them.

I too thought they were out of production due to some EPA regulation, but I used about 400 different Internet searches till I found them.

Just click on the photo of my first post in this thread. they are INEXPENSIVE compared to the other options and they will not go out of adjustment. Buy em before they run out.

But do be careful with handling and storage of them.

Don't know what I am doing wrong but when I click on the photo, I only get a larger set of 4 photos as in your first post. Any suggestions or other help? I wouild like to buy one of these and lmaybe eave it with Mother for guys in our area in Ontario.

Evan

Sorry, I am used to a kitebuilders fourm that allows me to put in code that makes the images clickable to a URL, but this fourm does not support... I fixed my first post and if you click HERE you will go to their store.

Edited by KiteSquid

I picked up 2 vacuum (needle dial) gauges made by a company called Actron, these are dual purpose for vacuum and fuel pressure. On the fuel pressure side it measures in PSI 0-15, and kPa 0-105. On the vacuum side it measures 0-30 in.Hg and 0-76 cm Hg. Does anyone have any idea what type of base line vacuum reading I might get on a well tuned 1st Gen. I read I'm to sync carb 2 to 1 and so on, but what if 1 is wrong to start with? Sorry its just how my mimd works. :think:

Hey Ron,

Just kidding!:rasberry: When "ballancing" carb. #1 to carb. #2 screw "A" varies the amount of vacuume between the two carbs. For a rough base line my 87'VR pulls approx. 26 to 30 cmhg. at idle. It decreases dramatically when above idle.

Hope this helps,

Earl

• 5 weeks later...