IGNORED

Level Links on - But steep angle on kickstand?

seforeman

Ok, so put a new Dunlop D404 on the rear (16,900+ miles on the first one). While at it, I had the Yamaha dealer install the Diamond R level links. Once I got it home, added 3.9 Lbs of air to the front forks, and 32.4 lbs to the rear. Amazing difference in handling at all speeds, last year at 10,800 miles I had already put on the 130 front tire. This bike rocks now. Great handling at all speeds. Notices a huge difference in parking lots and is not following grooves in the road at all. No squirreliness (is that a word?) at all!

However it is steep angle on the kickstand and a monstrous lift off when the bike is parked. Not that I am willing to change it back - no sirree! But must admit is a bit of a heft up off the stand? Any one ever done a kick stand mod? Added a pad to to bottom of the kickstand. I mean the cheapo is to carry a hockey puck on a string, but was thinking of something more (dare I say) elegant? Thoughts?

Stu

I think he means levelling links....that raises the rear end slightly and yes does make it lean more on the side stand.

When I do mine....soon...I will make sure to carry at least a side stand plate to throw down all the time....it might not be much but it should help.

Travelled along way with Big Bob this year and he has his done....he gets on his bike from the right side by stepping on the floor board and throwing his leg over. He says its easier to get on that way and possible because of the levelling links....to him at least, another positive.

Yes, the handling is much better at slower speeds. I have both the narrower front tire (130) and the leveling links. To compensate for the links raising the rear end, I put on a lower than stock seat (about 1" lower). Its a Saddlemen Road Sofa.

Regarding the kickstand issue, I just learned a tip (I have yet to try it). Apparently if you turn the front tire hard lock left, the bike is a breeze to get off the stand.

Stu

So you guys who have gone to the 130 front tire; how does it affect the handling in the twisties? I love the way my new (to me) 06 RSV handles our crooked Ozark trails. Don't want to lose that.

Also; how wide (in inches) is the 130? Built a trailer chock for my Vstar1100 and put it on a harbor freight trailer. The chock is unuseable with the RSV as the stock tire is too wide.

Thanks for the info

Lynn (Leonard)

So you guys who have gone to the 130 front tire; how does it affect the handling in the twisties? I love the way my new (to me) 06 RSV handles our crooked Ozark trails. Don't want to lose that.

Also; how wide (in inches) is the 130? Built a trailer chock for my Vstar1100 and put it on a harbor freight trailer. The chock is unuseable with the RSV as the stock tire is too wide.

Thanks for the info

Lynn (Leonard)

There are no negatives really to the 130 size tire at speed that I have ever noticed nor can I recall negative comments by others.

The actual width of a 130 will actually vary a little between manufactures. I just did a quick measure of my Avon 130 and this may not be 100% but its pretty close to 5 1/2 inches wide.

I tried the narrow front tire (Dunlop D404 - about the same measure 5.5"), and it helped alot. Bear in mind, keep an eye on TIRE PRESSURE, very important (use tire mfg, Yamaha's is wrong). But still heard a lot of strong arguments for the links, decided to give them a try in conjunction with the narrow tire (heard others really liked it). And I must say - the combo is awesome. I was pulling into a parking space at like .5 mph, and the bike turned effortlessly. So much lighter in the front end.

Now the narrow tire is great in the twisties - had no problem on the dragon and thats about as twisty as it gets.

By the way, the kick stand work around (turn the wheel hard lock left) works great. I will be damned - couldn't believe it was that simple.

Stu

There are lots of older posting on this subject - you should read them for a complete picture.

Although I am not the first one to suggest the 130/90 front tire, I am the first one to do some detailed testing of it, both with and without the shorter rear dog-bones (Leveling Links) that raise the rear of the bike by one inch.

I do NOT recommend both changes. When the tires are new, having both a narrower front tire and the raised rear will not be any problem at all, but it also will not be better than just the raised rear alone. The issue comes when you wear out those tires. As they get near the end, especially when the rear begins to flatten out from center wear, you will experience significant groove tracking and a general squirrelliness on any road surface imperfections. Several others here that have worn out a set of tires while running both the 130/90 and Leveling Links have confirmed this sensation. Having a stock size front tire when using the Leveling Links will greatly reduce this problem when you get near the end of life on your rear tire.

Here is one more thing to consider when deciding on tires - the stock Brickstone front tire is considerably wider than ANY other brand in the same stock size. The Brickstone measures about 6.3", and most other brands are closer to 5.7" in 150/80-16. The Avon MT90 front tire is approximately 1" narrower than the 150/80-16 Brickstone, where it is only about 1/2" narrower than most other brands in 150/80-16.:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Yes, if you put on the Leveling Links to raise the rear of the bike by 1", my recommendation is you stick with the stock 150/80-16 front tire size in any brand you choose.

I found the handling of my RSV on twisty roads with stock tires OK - not wonderful, but I wasn't complaining about it either. The change to an MT90 front tire made it wonderful. Here is what I said about highway speed handling in an old post: "The feel of the bike at highway speeds is now much more of being "one with the bike" that just sitting on a bike and trying to control it. The bike is much more responsive to shifting body weight and leaning than it was with stock size. And besides, no matter how long and far you ride on the super-slab, you are still gonna have to slow down and turn off the road some time!"

As I have posted in the past, I personally found the improvement in handling from either the Leveling Links OR the 130/90 front tire to be quite similar, so you do not have to agonize over which change is the best. To me, the decision is quite simple: IF you want the seat to be 1" higher, add the leveling links and stick with stock tire sizes; however, if you don't want to raise the rear of the bike, change your front tire to either a 130/90 or MT90 size. I believe you will be happy with either choice.

As I have previously stated, I personally do not find any benefit to making both changes, and I do find one significant bad aspect of making both changes. That is why I recommend only doing one or the other, but not both.:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I'd still be interested in some hard fix for the steep angle on the side stand. I have a 1st Gen and added the progressive fronts springs and now mine has that same nasty lean. I "can" jerk it up but I'm more worried about there being that much load on the stand and would really prefer to not see a failure...

I thought about hooking a puck or something to the "foot" of the side stand but would prefer it be a bit more elegant.

Guest BTHALL369

.............WELL NOW I'M REALLY CONFUSED????Leveling Links, Lowering Links, Smaller tires, Progressive Springs??? Well guys in earler days did my fair share of riding parked a 75 honda cb550f in 1980 with 116,000. miles on it when i had to raise a family . in dec of 04 decidid to get a road bike and baught ROAD STAR VENTURE. and basicly i like the bike but have experanced the death shake, following the road wear, and the sensation of the front shocks collasping and the feel of the front end folding under. and on top of all that im short in the legs. so after having a out of state rider make a leftt turn from the right lane of a one way street i got ot play with some o the problems but still having issisues. Igot a lowered seat from cardon and that helped a lot as far as my stance on the bike but still i get he feeling that the bike has a high center of gravity and was reall considering lowering the rear and front...just not sure what is out there for qualty kits. then the tire issiue ... im on my second set of dunlops...8500. miles and need rear again... and feel that smaller frt might be the answer and was conserding continentals.....I have retorqueed the bearing's in the tree it helped some. would like to know is hyd forks avaialible??? thanks for your in put ....this will be interesting.:confused24:

I think he means levelling links....that raises the rear end slightly and yes does make it lean more on the side stand.

When I do mine....soon...I will make sure to carry at least a side stand plate to throw down all the time....it might not be much but it should help.

Travelled along way with Big Bob this year and he has his done....he gets on his bike from the right side by stepping on the floor board and throwing his leg over. He says its easier to get on that way and possible because of the levelling links....to him at least, another positive.

Rick:

To help lift the bike off the side stand use your left leg to push on the side of the bike. Will make it A lot easier. I can stand my bike up without using my hands, no problem.

If I can get to go to V.I.P I will show how. Unless we get a lot of rain that weekend doesn't look good right now. Will have to see what happens,

Good luck for now. Bigbob

P.S. Glad we were able to get together with you and Marilyn in Brandon . Had A realy nice visit.