IGNORED

donations to the site

Snarley Bill

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I dont think of Don as the boss, he just happens to be the guy who started this site and keeps it running and civil. More like a friend or maybe even a father figure.. Second I do not give because I have to, I give because I want to. My check for the fee and more will be in the mail tomorrow. Third several people have bought other kinds of bikes lately such as myself, Eck and Snarley Bill and still stay because of the friendships made. It was the Ventures that brought us here but the friends that keep us here. Fourth, everyone has the right to give thier opinion and even the ones that are thought to be bad bring ideas to the table, good or bad. Fifth, I think ECK had some great ideas about m&es and if you dont think ECK means it about the offer to pay for someone else, he offered to rent me storage for 6 months after Huricane Gustav when my house was damaged. And last but not least, Don I pray that you have a full recovery and are able to lead the type of life that you wish for in the future. Lyle

I applaude all of you for donating to Don and this site. I too believe it is well worth more than he is asking. However please consider this opposing point:

Don does have a financially devastating disease. So have/do others on this site. I believe that others might feel slighted because no-one jumped up to put on a benefit for them. Please think carefully about how we might help more than 1 person with our efforts. My fire department used to have a fund created by yearly donations from the members If a member needed financial help, a set amount was given. This might not work here because it requires the appointment of a committee to oversee the money. It also requires rules for collecting and disbursing the funds.

Thanks for reading my ideas,

JB

I applaude all of you for donating to Don and this site. I too believe it is well worth more than he is asking. However please consider this opposing point:

Don does have a financially devastating disease. So have/do others on this site. I believe that others might feel slighted because no-one jumped up to put on a benefit for them. Please think carefully about how we might help more than 1 person with our efforts. My fire department used to have a fund created by yearly donations from the members If a member needed financial help, a set amount was given. This might not work here because it requires the appointment of a committee to oversee the money. It also requires rules for collecting and disbursing the funds.

JB

I've got no problem with what you are saying and in fact, we have helped a number of people here and have donated lot's to St. Judes. I HOPE this is different though. I'm honestly not asking for charity but only for those who find value is what is being provided here help support it. Just like you would subscribe to a magazine, satellite radio, cable TV, anything that brings you joy and information. I didn't build this for that reason but now have been pushed into taking that route with it. I hope that makes some sense.

Over the next few days and couple of weeks, I will be considering various options.

Thanks Don im in also. One idea perhaps there a boatibng forum i read that is free but with a few forums that only paid member can read. also when dues is paid member get a ships wheel next to there avitar. it kida shames most into paying with not having a wheel and all.

JB

I think there is one important distinction between Don and others who may be going through some difficult financial times. Don is paying money out of his pocket and putting in many hours to keep this site going. I don't think he is asking for anyone to pay his medical bills but rather to be compensated for time and expenses.

Please think carefully about how we might help more than 1 person with our efforts. JB

I think there is one important distinction between Don and others who may be going through some difficult financial times. Don is paying money out of his pocket and putting in many hours to keep this site going.

With the donations, we help make sure this site stays up. This site, helps many people in various ways...... Some of us earlier members were in panic mode, from a site crash that lasted 3 days. What shape would we be in, if it shut down???????

:2cents:

We were calling around the other day pricing insurance. To our surprise we were offered a discount because we mentioned we are members of Venture Riders. I did not ask how much that discount amounted to, I just thought it was awesome.

Each day I see welcomes to several new members and I have watched this process each day since the day my name appeared here with a welcome attached to my name.

Venture Riders has a wealth of information provided by good folks who appear to enjoy sharing what they are able, I for one have a great appreciation for that sharing.

I hope to see this group continue growing, I pray that Don is able to recover fully as well as not suffer financially. My thanks goes out to all that make Venture Riders what it is and will continue to become.

Heck I want to know who the Insurance company was that gave you a discount for belonging to Ventureriders :cool10:

As Redneck mentioned, this site has always been open for members to share thier opinions and I will now share mine.

An annual membership fee request of a mere $12.00 :clap2:

If a VR family member here finds that they can not pay their requested $12.00 membership fee because of "economy reasons", I ask them to contact me privately via P-email, and I will see what I can do to pay it for you.

I am not a rich man by no means, but I will scrape up that $12.00 some how for someone who is in financial ruins.

Oh, did I mention I love this site...........

I would now like to suggest the following "as an option" to help raise money for Don going above and beyond his requested $12.00 membership fee, to help him with his upcoming medical expenses and to keep this site above water.

Every time there is a meet & eat, lets all pitch in and donate $1.00 and give it to the person who posted and arranged the M&E.

After that M&E takes place this person sends the money collected to Freebird via Pay-pal or through the mail, and posts what they collected.

Every person who attends a rally this year, each person dontate's just $1.00 to the person who posted and arranged the rally. That person sends the money to Don,and posts what they collected.

One more thought:

Lets have 52 people, one VR member from each state, and this also can include canada and other countries, but one person from each state set up a day benifit ride for some upcoming saturday in your state.

You plan the starting point, all potty / stops, and places to eat.

This is a benefit ride for FREEBIRD.. and each person who attends pays $5.00, $10.00 or even $25.00 as an entrance fee to the person who arranged and planned the day event.

That person sends the money to Freebird and posts the amount HIS state collected as a contest between states / countries.

The ride you plan can include riding into other neighbouring states, but each state must have its own ride planned by a VR family member.

That alone would be 52 planned benifit rides..:mo money:

Ok Eck, now most of us cannot afford GoldWings like some I know.

Now with this plan you just limited Mechanic and I to one M&E per year. :rasberry::rasberry:

Ok Eck, now most of us cannot afford GoldWings like some I know.

Now with this plan you just limited Mechanic and I to one M&E per year. :rasberry::rasberry:

Well Sleeperhawk,

I do hope the ONE M&E that you do attend, I am lucky enough to be there to see you guys again..

Oh, and I might even let you ride the GW........:whistling: :thumbsup2:

With 7000 members its inevitable that we will lose some members with the new fee. In the meantime we will also gain new members as time goes on. Many members now havent even been active in the past two to three years. I always hated that word, "core" group. Yes, there are members who come on most every day. But we are all part of this whole group. Anyone here has the opportunity to participate more frequently. Its your choice. I always thought that we should charge a modest fee to help defray the costs but Don has always resisted. Now its a reality. A necessary one at that. So, lets move on and do what we need for this site to survive. You wont find a better one anywhere else. :2cents:

OK, I’ve been reading all of these suggestions on how to handle raising money to support the site, and here’s my spin.

Like everyone else I received my email from Don and immediately responded via Paypal. I also read Don’s post on the board and the replies. I didn’t post a response because I felt it wasn’t necessary.

After reading some of the critiques in this thread, I been motivated....

On those that are worried about future growth because of the new fee, frankly Charlotte I don’t give a damn. We now have close to 7,000 members worldwide. If everyone of them sent in $12 bucks it would generate $84,000 dollars US in revenue, and we all know that isn’t going to happen. So no matter what the grand membership number is, there is only a core group of perhaps 5% of that total who are actually contributing via postings on a regular basis. Those are the folks that are getting most of the value, intertainment or otherwise,from this board, and those are the folks that need to pony up and shoulder the burden of supporting this site. The rest of the members, who like Z-Factor, drop in once or twice a year out of curiosity shouldn’t be charged a dime..... They can read and learn all they want, but they shouldn’t be allowed to post unless they pony up the $12.00 bucks. They do have a choice.

I hate to pick on Z-Fastor, but as you all know I try to do a few group buys for the members, and when he posted that he’d like to pick up one of the fork braces last year, and then disappeared without leaving any contact information in his CP file other than leaving him a PM, two visits a year ain’t gonna get it. And that applies to a lot of others that register with minimum CP info, post a question, and then leave.

For those regular members or potential members, who balk at the cost of a $12.00 yearly membership.... Com’on folks, $12 bucks ain’t gonna make or break you... It really falls into a category of just being plain cheap, or perhaps they really aren’t getting anything out of the board, and don’t think it has any value. In that case don’t join, and don’t post. Read all you want.

So, after all this cogitating, here are my thoughts. If you want to post, join, if you want to drop in once in a while, welcome visitor.....

The above may rattle a few cages, but I've never been one to keep my lips zipped...

I think you are right Condor, I am on this site every day, most days I post 1-2-or 3 times and other days I just read, its interesting to see...between this thread and Don's...the number of user names that I don't recognize, which is fine some people don't like to "get involved" but for the wealth of information we get here, the friendly jabs that go around and the meet & eats that get us together, it is surely worth the small donation for me alone.

Just my :2cents:

Ian

PS, Can't wait for DON'S M.D to meet all those that are going.

In reading all the posts concerning the "Fee", the posts have gone through the roof, there are almost 5200 on that thread alone, and of all the posts I read, I didnt recognize half of the names, it just shows you how people will respond to family in need. I am proud to be a member of this group, and a friend of Freebird's. This place is gonna be even better than it was before. And about those post counts, when I read it the first time about 3 hours earlier the count was at about 4600...............

Thanks again Don..........this place is priceless and no fee regardless how high:mo money: could drive me off, I would even sell one or both of my bikes to pay the dues if I had to.:bang head:

OK, green tea frappachino's cost more that coffee, this site is great, it made Tom Patterson VERY happy and Don Nelson is just plain wonderful.

I dont know how to use Pay Pal, never used it my whole died blonde life, but I bit the bullet and paid up. Paid extra for green tea and Tom.

God Bless you and keep you, Don.

Other than a bit too much of an addiction to carbohydrates, i really don't have much of what I call an addiction, except coming to VentureRider.org. I come on several times a day at work and it is a rare evening that I don't also come on several times. It is just a way of life for me.

I have had so many Laugh Out Loud moments and I have felt profound grief. I have met many that I consider a friend that I have never seen in person. I have met some in person that I wondered if they ever had a friend.

I have learned a lot more about my bike due to this bunch and I try to contribute info that may be helpful to others. I have given away parts and I have had parts given to me. I have received more pleasue in helping someone in need than if I had charged them.

This kind of reminds me of when our favorite State Park started to charge a parking fee. I heard some complaints, but what happened was the park became much better and safer managed. My initial thinking was maybe it will keep the riff-raff out, and guess what, it did.

Don, I have had the pleasure of meeting you on several occasions (at Vogal) and you are an inspiration.

RandyA

I've got no problem with what you are saying and in fact, we have helped a number of people here and have donated lot's to St. Judes. I HOPE this is different though. I'm honestly not asking for charity but only for those who find value is what is being provided here help support it. Just like you would subscribe to a magazine, satellite radio, cable TV, anything that brings you joy and information. I didn't build this for that reason but now have been pushed into taking that route with it. I hope that makes some sense.
don, makes total sense to me. still a bargain at $12.00 per year. i say set a date to bill people and leave the donation button for those of us who feel like we are getting more than our moneys worth. still think you work way to cheap. i remember the great site crash of 2006 when we had like 3600 members and everything was wiped out. we all thought the world had ended. i know i was lost with out venture riders for a day or two. then you worked your butt off to get it all back together for us and we started all over. now we have topped 7000 members. people probably wonder why everyone joined in aug. 2006. i for one always think about what a task it must be to keep this site running as smooth as it does. kudo's to you for all the enjoyment i have gotten out of it. so if you wanted to charge twenty dollars or more a year it would'nt bother me one bit. still a bargain my freind. thanks for just being here for all of us. bill :clap2::clap2::clap2: :2133: now back to the thread. folks lets don't argue and cut each other down. thats not what this is all about. :2133:

I have been a member for less than a year. I have received some valuable information here, and I have tried to pass on some insight if I feel that the information I have may be useful. I read Don's email and paid my membership fee, without a second thought. $12.00 for membership is more than reasonable. I'm in.

I consider Venturerider a family group. Dedicated to helping one another and sharing each others knowledge. I have met many people on this site, but I can't remeber half there names (getting old s__ks), but I always remember a face. They are a great bunch of people, and to me. keeping this family together is worth more than $12.00. I know many of you do not even show up for a meet and eat? WHY?? Do you ride alone, or are you afraid to meet us. We don't bite... I challenge all of you to go to the next meet and eat in your area, and meet the people who are your brothers. I think you will have a great time.. Usually, the people hosting meet and eats have the loudest mouths on this site. But....That really isn't a bad thing...

:Venture: