IGNORED

Car engine oil for the RSV ?

I just bought motocycle 4 stroke oil racing 4T 10W-40 oil for $8.95 a qt at wallmart

Yeah, that's about how much it is here at the Wal-Mart. However, they don't stock very much of it at the one here and there's usually only a quart or so left when I go back there.

I got it where I bought my Purolator filters this last time and it was around $10. I've decided I'm going to buy a quart (since that seems to be how much they have at any given time I go there) every time we go to Wal-mart so I can get it at the better price and it doesn't bust the bank every time I want to change oil. Got 2 bikes and I'm switching the second one to Synth this change too soooo... :thumbsup2: :sign20:

Interesting enough, I went to the Yamaha ( Dealer ) today, and asked them how much for their oil, and filter that the manufacturer recommends using on the RSV.

When I mentioned using other oils in the bike, they replied right away, that the first thing they ask someone when they come in, complaining about clutch slippage, what oil are they running. He replied most of the time, they catch the customer off guard, and they reply regular automotive oil. Right away, he replies that just voided the warranty on their bike.

I then went into a 20 min conversation about using Syn oils, such as Mobil 1 etc, and if their was engine failure such as bearings etc, what that void the warranty.

He had mentioned to his belief that they would have to point the know cause of the engine failure to the lack of, or wrong oil being used. I asked how would they know.

He replied on larger failures such as complete engine, or major engine failure due to the wrong oil they believe may be the cause, they send it out to a lab, to show the results.

I asked does this happen often......He said once in all the years he's been working there, he recalled, but is not surprised it doesn't happen more often, because the number one mistake is customers use the oil with the additives in them.

Does this somewhat make sense, or was this guy just blowing smoke you think?

I asked does this happen often......He said once in all the years he's been working there, he recalled, but is not surprised it doesn't happen more often, because the number one mistake is customers use the oil with the additives in them.

What additives (friction modifiers?) and what problems (Clutch slip, total engine failure?)?

Since you went with the Mobile 1 specifically for Motorcycles, don't know that clutch slip will be a problem. As far as total failure, I think you're okay too.

Personally, I think, the guy at the dealership is trying to sell you things they carry. It's his job, it's what he does. I think most things dealers tell you can be taken with a grain of salt. There are guys on here... lots of guys... who run non-motorcycle specific oil in their rides. Probably a collection of more bikes than that guy will every work on, and I don't think anyone is having any problems.

I also had just replaced my oil and is good for another 2500 miles. Rotella T is always available at my local SAMs and Walmart stores. I now have 10W40 moto oil (Valvoline), but I am really tempted to use Rotella T 15W40 this summer. Please assure me that I will not have any problems by using Rotella T on my Venture. I've never really experienced any clutch slippage and I don't really want to find out the hard way.

That's what I've been using since new, after reading pretty much all I could find on the matter when I got the bike..

venture rider

an analysis of oil done by a lab can tell what specific weight and type of oil was used....so, if the oil did not meet the requirements mentioned in the owner's manual, then the dealership doesn't have to honor the warranty......BUT.. you do not have to use their oil, that is blowing smoke...... there is a law that covers this subject... i just can't think of it...starts with an "M"..........

Here is a link that has some interesting or dry information on this subject. This source may answer some questions? Keep in mind this info is from 1994, and there has been many changes made to oils since then. Looks like the questions of motorcycle vs automobile oils has always been up for debate?

If you're prepared for a lot of reading, with some scientific results at the end, make sure you have coffee or something?

http://www.virtualbiker.com/valkyrie/mcnoil94.html

It would be interesting to have a couple of our members who have lots of miles on their engines (120,000+miles) without a rebuild, state what oil and filter and maintenance schedule they use. They may have already contributed to one of these threads, but I haven't seen the correlation between longevity and maintenance style. (maybe I missed it somewhere in an older thread). And as a newer member I don't know that rider X does 50,000 miles a year vs rider Y does 500 miles a year.

Edited by RandyR

Before I switched to Mobil 1, I used Castrol 20W 50W or 15W 40, Petroleum oil in my BMW for 12 years, and the first 50K on the 89 Venture. Always had good luck with that oil.

Anyway, if you don't like Synthetic oil, I consider Castrol a very good alternative.

From what I read in Yamaha's manual, you can use another oil, as long as it meets or exceeds the requirements as specified.

I think salesmen was more thinking of the lines of when you add oils with the additives, it could possibly damage the clutch

From everything I read on here, Am soil and Mobil 1 seemed to be the choice of oils. I'm real comfortable running Mobil 1 in the bike, so from now on, I'll just run that

From what I read in Yamaha's manual, you can use another oil, as long as it meets or exceeds the requirements as specified.

I think salesmen was more thinking of the lines of when you add oils with the additives, it could possibly damage the clutch

From everything I read on here, Am soil and Mobil 1 seemed to be the choice of oils. I'm real comfortable running Mobil 1 in the bike, so from now on, I'll just run that

Be careful with that thought. An oil with friction modifiers or claim to be energy conserving may exceed recommendations, but they are harmful to your clutch plates.

NEVER use any oil with friction modifiers. After that your pretty much good with most synthetics or regular oils as long as they are the proper weight.