IGNORED

New 86 VR idle problems, CLASS question

Stopped in a dealer a few days ago just to look around. Found an 86 VR with 21,000 miles stuffed in a corner. Unfortunately I took it for a test drive (dealer had to jump it). Made a lowball offer and now I own it.

Anyway, it has some issues I need to fix.

Bike will idle with choke on , although it pops a bit when cold. When it warms up, backing off the choke causes a slowing idle until it finally dies. Could this be clooged/dirty pilot jets and will Seafoam cure the problem?

Seems to run great off idle and all the way to redline.

Second, Class is dead. No display at all (on ACC). Looks like a loose airline has been ziptied

up near the front of the plastic gas tank cover.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Now I need to sell my 84.

Thanks

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

Good Score! Here is the link to the CLASS Repair:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=493

This was my problem on my 87'VR. Also, there is a fuse for the CLASS system in the small fuse box above and to the right of the battery.

About the Idle problem, I would Seafoam the heck out of it, and then run it like you just robbed a bank. On the left side of the bike, just about where your knee is, there is an adjustment thumb screw for the Idle, I found that my old 87'VR likes to idle closer to the 1050 rpm range that the 950 rpm range. While you are changing plugs, I would throw in a new fuel filter, here is the link for that:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=26580

It's best to remove the fuel pump to get to the filter. I have attached some pics below of my 87'VR and the replacement of the fuel filter.

You may want to check the Carb. Diaphragms, (pic below) remove covers, pull slider assembly, hold rubber Diaphragm up to a good light, look for pin holes.

I personally would put a new air filter in if you plan on keeping the bike, then you will know where you stand as far as air volume goes.

A Carb. Sync. should be on the list of "to do" items as well.

These bikes don't like to sit for a long time, so if it sat long enough to kill the battery, then you will pretty much be doing all the things mentioned above to get it running tip top. The Seafoam and plugs are the first order of business though. And of course the "Carb. clean out rides", thats the best part!:dancefool:

Keep asking questions, we will help you all we can.:080402gudl_prv:

Earl

Stopped in a dealer a few days ago just to look around. Found an 86 VR with 21,000 miles stuffed in a corner. Unfortunately I took it for a test drive (dealer had to jump it). Made a lowball offer and now I own it.

Bike will idle with choke on , although it pops a bit when cold. When it warms up, backing off the choke causes a slowing idle until it finally dies. Could this be clooged/dirty pilot jets and will Seafoam cure the problems.

Thanks

Kevin

Seafoam may or may not help. Your pilot jets are probably clogged. Seafoam may help mine were so bad I had to rebuild. Had to stick a bristle froma awire brush into pilots to get them clean.

Don't forget to sync the carbs. When I purchased my '86 it was having a hard time staying running at idle so we took it over to the shop and they adjusted it. In reality they were playing with the carb sync screws because you don't need a screwdriver to adjust the idle. I wish I had known that at the time... but all is well now.

Bike will idle with choke on , although it pops a bit when cold. When it warms up, backing off the choke causes a slowing idle until it finally dies. Could this be clooged/dirty pilot jets and will Seafoam cure the problem?

Seems to run great off idle and all the way to redline.

Second, Class is dead. No display at all (on ACC). Looks like a loose airline has been ziptied

up near the front of the plastic gas tank cover.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Now I need to sell my 84.

Thanks

Kevin

Well, for sure the first thing I would do is turn up the idle screw until it would continue to run on it's own and then start looking for ways to find the problem. Hell, that may be it's only problem.

Dick

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just what I was looking for.

On the front air suspension- I have not taken the fairing apart yet but I can see a capped air hose between the front of the tank cover and the steering stem. A little to the right. Is this a manual valve just in case or is it possible the PO disconnected class?

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just what I was looking for.

On the front air suspension- I have not taken the fairing apart yet but I can see a capped air hose between the front of the tank cover and the steering stem. A little to the right. Is this a manual valve just in case or is it possible the PO disconnected class?

Thanks

I think the "valve" you see is actually a bleeder for the linked front brake. It is tucked up high and forward,on the right of the steering head.