IGNORED

Nice Portable Air Compressor!

Yama Mama

Today, Ron and I rode the bike to Harbor Freight. We found this nice high volume, 100psi, 12volt portable air compressor for $19.99 on sale.

It is a nice compact size with all metal construction, with a quick disconnect coil hose and a nice straight air valve end. Comes with a nice carrying case. It is only 5 1/2" long, 2 inches wide, and 5 inches high.

Thought I would share this with you.

Yama Mama

That looks really nice and is smaller than the WallyWorld version. Just make sure you have an outlet that can handle it. The standard cig lighter won't (pump pulls too many amps). Thanks for letting us know about this.

RR

A few years ago, just prior to Ft.Collins, I picked up one of the Cycle Pumps. http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-10-cyclepump.aspx

It was rated as one of the best, and had some great feedback. It cost a lot more than those found at Wally World or Harbor, but I had a few bucks.. pre-economic collapse.. so what the heck... I just did a search and found them listed for much less than what I ponied up. :(

I would recommend with any portable air pump you buy especially for emergency road side use...that you test it fully before you load it on your bike. Whether it was inexpensive or very expensive.

I got one in a emergency roadside kit and was using it to air up a tire once...I had it sitting on the tool box of my truck while it was working...Most of them are really slow so I was doing something else while it was running doing its thing. One thing I have learned they all get hot...some very hot.

Next thing I know it was a ball of fire. It had got so hot it ingnited the plastic housing and was burning...on top of my truck tool box. :doh:

Scared me to death...so leason learned...test any small portable pum before you comit to hauling it all over the world expecting it to get you out of a bind.

A good test would be let the air out of one of your tires...then pump it back up with the pump...that way you know it will work when you need it. You are checking the electrical circuit (fuses correct size and wiring is ok) and the pump

That way you know what to expect at least if you need it.

I carry one now...and it has been tested already but I hope I never need it.:fingers crossed:

Ron went to Harbor Freight and only spent $20??? He must have spent more than that! I try to stay away from there as I usually spend $100 or so...

Bob he actually spent more than that!

However, he did have rain checks.

Hehehehehe.

I forgot to mention this pump has an all metal housing-no plastic.

Yama Mama.

I have one that looks identical to that, unknown as to manufacturer but it says MV50 on the side. Small enough to fit in the side bag of my VR.

I have used it many times to air up my BroncoII tires after a day of off roading, and yes they get hot.

IMHO, Harbor Freight = cheap tools sold inexpensively.

Caveat emptor.

I bought a set of T-handle Allen ball heads tools. First time I used one to tighten a bolt on my RSV, the head broke off in the bolt. Agree with KiteSquid. Get what you pay for.

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

Anyone have experiance with the device I see every so often that is supposed to fit in the spark plug hole and air up the tire using the pressure from one of your cylinders while the bike is idling? Personally filing a tire with fuel air mix doesn't seem like that great of an idea. Maybe they work in some other manner?

Anyhoot, that HF pump looks real nifty. Durable enough to withstand riding around in a saddle bag for a while.

At Canadian tire I got a cigarette lighter receptical which has alligator clips attached so you can attach it directly to the battery. Comes in handy for machines that don't have cigarette lighters. It cost $5.00.

This is a great little pump.

I have had one for some time and has gotten me out of trouble a time or two on my bike and my pickup. I have had mine for a few yrs and its as stong as its ever been. Great little air pump for the price, mine goes on every ride with me.

GREAT PURCHASE

:thumbsup:

Actually Ivan I have had a lot of experience with the sparkplug pump.. I have personally made them for friends of mine and have ALWAYS warned them that Fuel/air mixture at a VERY volatile state is now in thier tire.. Everyone, myself included, who got one from me swore they would warn the tire changing guy about it before dismounting..

Well,, all well conceived and properly planned idea is great until someone forgets.. At least that was always my nagging concience talking me out of doing any more of them..

Now what I Have discovered is that you can us that same device a flame thower that works very well!! You wanna start a fire to warm up by - Drilled out plug - screw in shrader valve, screw on braided wire air ling with 1/16 hole in orvice on end.. put regular plug in coil wire and ground to head,, Start bake and aim air line at sparking piston...

Now for "putting up with Cowpuc has earned you one of his free ADVICE FROM TH E MIND OF PUC" Always make sure your plug is in the terminal and that the steel on the plug is grounded when ever your testing.. Many CDI's and trashed because the mechanic missed this point!

Puc

Since you all are talking about air pumps, thought I'd share what I received today with you from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=4077&r=4469_121784

12 Volt, 250 PSI Compact Air Compressor http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/gifs/clear.gif

Compact, easy to use and easy to store.

• High output 250 PSI motor
  • Easy-to-read pressure gauge, PSI and BAR
  • Built-in storage for 12V cigarette lighter plug
  • 10 ft. power cord, 18" hose with valve adapter
  • Handy on/off switch
  • Comes with sports needle, two nozzle adapters

Overall dimensions: 5-1/2" L x 2-7/8" W x 4-7/8" H

Weight: 1.4 lbs.

ITEM 4077-0VGA

$7.99 $5.99

Probably a plastic housing.

12 Volt, 100 PSI High Volume Air Compressor http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/gifs/clear.gif

• Up to 300% more air than any compressor in its class
  • Compact size makes it easy to stash in your vehicle
  • Fully inflates car tires in less than 3-1/2 minutes
  • 25 liters per minute air flow
  • Gearless direct drive for quiet operation
  • Overload protection
  • Cast alloy air pump casing with cooling fins for quick heat dissipation
  • Antivibration rubber feet

Comes with 5 ft. coiled air hose, brass quick coupler, 10 ft. power cord with cigarette plug, three inflator nozzles and pouch; 15 amp fuse; Overall dimensions: 6-5/8" L x 2.8" W x 5-1/4" H

ITEM 96068-3VGA

$26.99

I like this one better.

Jinksy

Edited by Jinksy4
just noticed on sale bill

It does work. And it comes with three adapter tips.

Yama Mama

I have had a similar pump to this for about 20 years now. YES it does get very hot, but it will pump up to about 80 PSI (slowly). However, I have tried it on my bike and it does blow the fuse every time.

Yes but this one has automatic thermal overload. In order to use it on the bike, You need to either put battery clamps for direct battery hook up, or add a lighter socket or modify the lighter socket on the bike. Because the lighter socket on the RSV is fused for 5 amps. This compressor draws 14 amps. (Ron putting words in my mouth)

Yama Mama

Jinksy that is the same compressor as I started this thread about. It is on sale at the store for $19.99.

Also this has a thermal overload built in. This draws 14 amps.

Yama Mama:big-grin-emoticon:

Thanks - I think I will give it a try - been looking for a while.