IGNORED

LOWER tree info needed

What is your lower tree made from ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What is your lower tree made from ?

• my 1200's tree is steel
    • my 1200's tree is aluminum
    • my 86 or 87 1300's tree is steel
    • my 86 or 87 1300's tree is aluminum
    • my 88 or 89 is steel
    • my 88 or 89 is aluminum
    • my 90 or 91 is steel
    • my 90 or 91 is aluminum
    • my 92 or 93 is steel
    • my 92 or 93 is aluminum

Hello, I have a damaged lower triple tree on my '87 VR. Mine is aluminum . I got one on Ebay that is steel yet is supposedly off an '88. Maybe I was sent a Vmax tree? Did they change these on the Venture and if so, when? I would have thought the 1200s may be steel but not the 1st gen.1300. As you know the Venture 1300 got heavier and Yamaha likely went to aluminum from the original steel.Can you 1st gen guys PLEASE check with a magnet if your lower tree is steel or aluminum. I will try to post a poll. Bottom line, I need a good aluminum lower tree like mine. And with everyone's feedback I will know which years to surely not to look at on Ebay. Thanks in advance. Email me if you wish.

Edited by jasonm.

I have 3, all aluminum. If you can wait a few weeks, I will have the one off of my '84 available. The triple tree assemblys are all the same for all years. I am replacing my lower only because I'm updating to newer style brakes and instaled new bearings and repainted my upper and lower gold and have the whole assembly ready to go complete. I will be removing my front end as a whole and putting in the rebuilt assembly. The '84 has only 15K miles on it and it will have the race for the bearing included.

I have 3, all aluminum. If you can wait a few weeks, I will have the one off of my '84 available. The triple tree assemblys are all the same for all years. I am replacing my lower only because I'm updating to newer style brakes and instaled new bearings and repainted my upper and lower gold and have the whole assembly ready to go complete. I will be removing my front end as a whole and putting in the rebuilt assembly. The '84 has only 15K miles on it and it will have the race for the bearing included.

I wouldn't be using that race though, it's off another bearing. The only way I would use that race is if it came complete with the bearing installed in the original unit. Not that it would present a huge problem, but if it did give even a slight issue, it wouldn't be worth the pain of having to change it out.

Now that I have my $0.02 worth in there, I'm broke.

Maybe I didn't express it right. I am offering the triple tree off Goldie WITH the original race that is mated to the original bearing. I installed a new bearing on the replacement painted triple tree complete with new race that will go into Goldie when I do the final swap hopefully next weekend...

Be carefull of the aluminum . That's how I damaged mine...by changing out the bearings. I did not realize it was aluminum. So when I hammered away to get the old one off. I did it at the wrong spots. My tree is straight but the place where the shaft meets the aluminum "tree arm", where the seal sits, is not perfect. I could use my original. But being a perfectionist. I do not want to take a chance at the seal or bearing being ever so slightly "cocked". The correct way I got the bearing off. 1st- remove the caged rollers w/wire cutter. Then on what's left of the bearing on the shaft, cut mostly thru w/dremel tool. But not into the shaft. Then while the shaft is clamped in a vise with 2x4 blocks, hammer at the cut a bit w/screwdriver. Then you hammer from the BACK of the tree where the seal and bearing stick out. The bearing will crack and easily come off.

Also , I need to hear from some post '87 owners to know if they did make a change. ALSO, what years are steel that are posted?...'83??? From what I am seeing on each posters profile. I think those who posted steel are non-Royale owners of '83 or '84. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yamaha web site says same part all years. BUT that ONLY means they are interchangeable. They may have changed materials. My bike came w/aluminum...I want to keep it original. Plus my aluminum one has perfect paint. The steel one looks like hell in comparison.

Bongobobny, I was hoping to get this done this weekend. But now it looks like next weekend at the soonest. Unless you have yours available sooner or find one on ebay and get it fast. I see where you live. If sent USPS I think it would hardly take more than 2 days to me. Email me if you wish. I am putting in the races(cups) today. Wow, you have 3 aluminum...any way of getting one to me sooner? I don't want to rush you. thanks..."J"

Edited by jasonm.

Looking at the poll. I suspect that some of the standards and not Royale models used steel lower trees. This makes sense to balance the bike out considering the standard did not have the radio and other equipment in the front. The one the ebay guy sent me must have been from a standard. To be sure I would need some 1300 standard owners to reply to this.

Lower triple clamp is aluminum. Sure looked like steel. Bet they all are!

5bikes, look at the poll. A few guys w/1200 standards have steel lower trees. I just need a few '88 1300 standard owners to check and reply. Correct me if I am wrong but Venture Standards were only made '83, '84 & ,'87 I think & '88 Thanks

Edited by jasonm.

I just need a few '88 1300 standard owners to check and reply. Correct me if I am wrong but Venture Standards were only made '83, '84 & '88 Thanks

Jason....the standard Venture was available from 1983-1988 inclusive. I have an 86 standard...stored elsewhere so can't check material for you.

looking at Yamaha's web site for the U.S. . The "D" model signifies Deluxe or Royale. The only years this "D" does not show is the years I listed previous '83, '84, '88. In Canada and other countries this list may be different. Also, I have an '86 service manual for the U.S. It does not list the standard on the cover. only model listed is xvz1300ds and dsc(c= california), s= model year. So if you do have a 1300 standard, check the lower tree if possible.

My 85 Royale is aluminum and I have an 86 VR front end that is also aluminum.

Jason, I don't think one slightly lower spot on the aluminum triple tree is going to allow the bearing to tip once it is properly tightened into the race. You are definitely going overboard with perfectionism.

Edited by Cdnlouie

you are absolutely right on the "overboard". The odds are all would be fine. BUT the new bearings come with a rather thin seal when compared the original. And once you put the seal and bearing in place...that's it. If there is any fudginess...I'm stuck. And would have to order another bearing set.I only want to do this once. Lucky for me, I have a NOS lower tree coming w/bearing installed and race. I could take a chance on mine...and if okay. Then I'm set. Again, I only want to do this once. The only thing about the steel one...It would lessen the wheelies.

My '90, '91, '93 are all steel.

Are you are absolutely sure using a magnet on the area between the fork tube and stem...?:think:

As it stands only 1 post '89 has aluminum...may be there was a change?

Edited by jasonm.

I have a lower tree with new bearings extra is aluminum off an 88 you can have if you want just pay shipping , let me know and Ill see what shippin is.

Cliff, Thanks for the offer. I am getting a new one with bearing from another Venture Rider...BongoBob