IGNORED

My "new" Venture Royale

fielddoc

Hi all, I've been a member for about 2 months now and I have just been kind of watching from the sidelines. Now I guess is my time to jump in so to speak. I purchased a 1986 Venture Royale long distance without seeing anything but pictures ... BAD MOVE, silly me I thought a Harley-Davidson dealer might have some integrity. Having cashed my check 5 weeks before I picked the bike up the dealer wanted nothing to do with me when I arrived except hand me the keys and get me out of the dealership. No wonder, after showing me pictures and telling me that the bike was in "perfect" condition I found it to be much different. This poor thing has been dropped or crashed at least once probably more. I am now up to about $800.00 with my local Yamaha dealer for mechanical concerns although for the most part it seems to run strong and clean. This is not counting the bodywork that I will need to do hopefully myself. I am hoping to have it in good enough shape to make the meet in Riverside, IA on 4/18. I am looking forward meeting as many of you as I can and also to all the help and tech assistance I can get. Who knows? After this project I may be able to help someone else.

Freebird: Sorry for the SPAM blocker

Welcome to the group FieldDoc. I think you will find that after getting your bike fixed up, you will be happy with it. Let us know what question you have and we will do our best to answer them for you. Some of us might have parts you can use also.

And once the roads clear up, we will have to plan a local ride in the area also.

Hang in there,

Rick F.

Welcome aboard! Do a search on "Plastex" for information on how to repair the plastic. f you list what you need there is probably one of us who has what you need and will part with it for a reasonable price. Either that or click on the ebay clasified link to see a listing of all current Venture parts listed. Freebird gets a very smal commission for the site on ebay sales in return for the link...

Indeed welcome to the site.

I'm new here myself, bought an 86 Venture in Jan and picked it up Mar 16. There are a number of similarities between the Venture and the 1100 Maxim (which I have been riding for the past 20+ yrs) so I have some familiarity with the Venture.

Got mine from a dealer but actually saw it first. From what I've been able to determine mine is in excellent-mint condition. I have managed to put more than 1000 kms on it her so far and she's one incredable lady......you'll definitly enjoy her once she's up to snuff.

Believe me when I tell you that this is one incredable site. Everything and anything you may ever want to know about the bike you'll find here somewhere.

The only thing that I would caution you about is not to take any cr*p :stickpoke: from what we call 2nd Gen folks. Those are the folks that own the 2nd Generation of Ventures....starting in 1999. The problem is that they refuse to admit that the 1st Gen bikes are superior.:Im not listening to

Again, welcome aboard.

:Venture:

Ed

Welcome to the group. If you are any good with a wrench this group will help you do anything you need. I've found some great information here and a group that is always ready to jump in and help. You'll love your bike.

Like the guys said if you need any help just ask. You'll get plenty of help. If you do any plastic work Micarl has done some on his bike. He could talk you through it. Hope he doesn't mind me offering him up. Oh heck he won't mind. Anyway these bikes are pretty great and as long as the motor and all is in good working order the plastic and such will be easy to fix. Oh yeah the 2nd gens will give you a hard time, but they even have to admit that no matter what year it is it's a great bike.

Margaret

In what city did you pick the bike up? Or even the dealers name? If it way sIndy West HD in Plainfield, they tried palming off an almost worn out Venture to another member here also. I went out and looked at the bike myself and offered the guy 500 bucks right then and there for it, he laughed then I laughed harder on the way out the door. Toold him Goood luck on selling it.