IGNORED

lost 5th gear

Vanantwerp

Out for a ride today. On the way home started up a small hill in 5th and cruz on.

shut off cruz grab a little thottle and jumped out for gear. Down shifted ok to 4th. Went back to 5th and it was like I was in neutraul. Got home in 4th ok about 30 miles. Is under warranty. just like to know if anybody else had this happen to them and what it was. Have a ride in 2 weeks. Dont know if dealer can fix in time. If they cant I will do it myself. Hate to have someone else work on my stuff.

I think the piece to which Randy is referring is what Y calls the shift segment. I'm getting ready to look into this on my own bike. If this piece malfunctions, it can cause the loss of gears off of either end of the shift range, or just generally cause clunky and not smooth shifting. There's no real damage to the transmission itself, just that the shift drums don't get rotated properly to engage the gears. The design of these shift segment parts changed a little bit and were upgraded in the 2nd gen Ventures, but it's my understanding that the later parts will bolt right into the 1st gens too. The parts no longer have a bent over tab to hold the pins. From pictures I've seen, I think it's a solid chunk of aluminum. But nothing says that the piece still couldn't have broken or a pin fallen out. Fortunately, the parts aren't too difficult to get to, and not real expensive. But I'm at the end of my knowledge on this so far. I suggest looking into a factory shop manual for more information about it.

There's not much to add to Pegscrapers's Statement.

The Shift Ratchet Mechanism is behind the Clutch Basket and it sound like this is the Culprit.

Normally, it should be an easy Fix, only Special Tool is you have to have a Clutch Hub Holder available, becuse you nedd to undo the Center Nut to get the inner Hub and the Clutch Basket out. The Nutz is tightend with 130 Nm and without a Holder Tool, you're somewhat lost or damaging Parts while try to work with Crutches.

... just like to know if anybody else had this happen to them and what it was...

Yes...8-Ball from the Twin Cities (MN) area had the same thing happen to his RSV while out west. I can get you his e-mail address if you're interested in more details.

Curt

let me try this

Engine is now open.

The mechanic followed your advices and opened the clutch cover and removed the basket.

They didn't see anything in there, but they used one of those long telescopic magnets and found a broken metal part. It was clear. There was something broken in there, so they had to open the engine.

When they did it, this is what they found:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/NachoaltesII/C001/DSCF0271.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/NachoaltesII/C001/DSCF0267.jpg

They said this pinion is shared by the 5th and 2nd gear.

This is the open engine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/NachoaltesII/C001/DSCF0269.jpg

And these are the mechanic and friend of the bike owner, who took care of the bike and took it to his dealer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/NachoaltesII/C001/DSCF0273.jpg

they are now waiting for the parts and the gasket to re-assemble everything back together and close the engine.

No idea of the amount of hours used yet, but soon they will tell me the amount of labour and money.

Thanks again for your help. Great advices, as always.

Hasta la vista from Spain,

Nacho.

Proud to be a Venturer!!!!

Good news today. Talked to Gary at Dan's cycle in Seymour. He said it was the shift pins fell out and has seen it before. Can get to it next wednesday and already order parts to be ready for me. I really like this site. Have learned alot from you all and really appreciate all the post.

... I really like this site. Have learned alot from you all and really appreciate all the post.
Keep an eye on the Meet & Eat area. Jethroish is planning one for April 25. There are several of us who try to organize 'em. We'll be tickled if you can join us.

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to GARY at Dan's Cycle Tues nite. He called me at 8:00 that nite from the shop to tell me that it was the gear that broke. He told me that he would try to get it fixed before my trip next Tues. If he dont i will have to ride my buddys roadking. He just bought another HD at bike week. Would really like to have mine but the good thing is that I can still go.