IGNORED

Clear coat repair

AlbertaClipper

Help...I made a boo boo :!: I tried using one of those bug sponges (the ones with the scotch brite-like stuff on one side) to remove the bug guts and tar from my lower fairings. I had the lowers off and submersed in a pail of soapy water and I was scrubbing them with the bug sponge. When I pulled them out they looked great...no bug guts or tar...OR CLEAR COAT :!: :!: :!: . When I dried them off I could see a lot of dull scuffs and scratches. How do I repair this :?: I am not too familiar with automotive paints and finishes. (No kidding eh)

I can't help you with the dull finish but I use "Bugs Be Gone" for the bug removal. Best I have ever used to remove bugs. Its made by the same people that make Seafoam and available at NAPA. I always carry a spray bottle of BBG with me and a wet towel...works wonders.

Keith

try using a very fine (extremely fine) buffing compound and a slow turning bufffing wheel ( you can do it by hand with a lint free cloth using small circular motions but be prepard to take some time) followed with polishing compound and then a high quality wax Its a sloww prcess but for a someone not familliar with the process Its playing it on the safe side. A more agressive step would be to wet sand it with 1200 (twelve hundred ) grit sand paper. keep it wet and rinse often. Follow with buffing compound and then the fine polishing compound and finally wax. Just an after thought Meguires plastx works really great taking scratches out of plexi glass it might be worth a try then rinse when dry and wax

Edited by saddlebum

Meguires and I am sure other wax manufacures make scratch and swirl removers. I have used both for single scratches and swirls that appear after several washings. They work pretty well , it is a slow process and sounds like you have affected a large area.

Try going to Meguires web site they usually have pretty good help sections.

Good luck

Take the fairing to a qualified auto paint shop. Ask them for advice. They can surely tell you if it is possible to buff this out or if you need a new clear coat. Preparing and clear coating the fairings should not cost that much if you dismantle and put back on yourself.

Have them tell you what to do since it is difficult to advice on such a thing without seeing it.

Go to a body shop supply store and get a bottle of fine rubbing compound. I particular like the product 3M makes. Rubbing/buffing compound has a gritty feel to it if you rub it between your fingers. The grit is what is going to take out the marks in the clear. I would suggest going to an auto parts store and buying the cheapest buffer you can get and get a lamb skin pad for the buffer. I have better luck with the lamb skin pad vs the pad that comes with most buffers. Or you can do it by hand as mentioned before but it will take a lot of elbow grease and time. If you are doing it by hand, you'll have to go over the spot a few times.....once is not going to be enough. After you go over the area really good with the rubbing compound, get a foam pad for the buffer (more than likely it came with a foam pad) and get some Finesse it. "Finesse It" is a product 3M makes that is a polish that will restore the shine. If you aren't satisfied with the finish product, you can repeat the process. If you use a buffer, don't stay in one place, always keep the buffer moving or you will blister the paint/clear. I highly doubt you went through the clear if you were using a pad simular to scotch brite. I worked in a body shop for a few years. PM me or call if you need to. Hope this helps.

Oh no...I would be sick. :crying:

There is hope... If it is not cut down below the paint and even if it is...you can probably polish it where it will look pretty good.

Go to the NAPA store...I guess any parts place or most any place that mixes paint for cars and has paint for cars. They should have a white finishing compound made by 3M. Shake this stuff up really good. I would not use any electric buffers or anything like that cause you can do more damage that good if you do not know what you are doing... You could cut the rest of the clear coat and color coat off or make some bad swirl marks that no wax will take off. It will burn the paint off.

Take one of those micro fiber cloths and put a little bit of this stuff and lightly rub this stuff on till it gets dry and then keep rubbing, circular motions. Do small sections at a time (3-6 inches) overlapping. Take your time and go slow. You are actually removing layers of clear coat and paint to smooth out all the scratches and shine it back up. If there is any clearcoat left and even if there is none left, It will shine like new money. After you are satisfied and finished with the whole area, Get 2-3 good coats of a good wax on top of that and you will be surprized at the results. If this does not work...get you a good painter to repaint it.

Do not use this stuff on a regular basis..emergency use only for scratches or destruction of the paint finish like this.

Do not do that any more. :no-no-no: Soapy water like mild dish washing liquid Palmolive/ivory (anything that is supposed to be good for your hands) or a good car wash (armor all or blue coral) will desolve bugs when you wash it. Always use only a soft cloth rinsed regularly when you wash.

THROW THAT SCOTCH BRIGHT SPONGE AWAY RIGHT NOW.

Best thing to do is treat the paint finish like your plastic windshield. Nothing...nothing abrasive or that is not really soft may scatch it.