I have a '99 RSV. The paint is starting to show some age (I guess the previous owner didn't keep it waxed) so I am thinking of painting it. If I do paint it, I want to change the colors. Does anyone have pics of custom painted RSV's to help give me some ideas? I have some thoughts but most of them have come from custom painted HDs. I would not mind some average-joe mistaking my bike for a HD but I also want fellow RSV riders to recognize my bike as what it is.

Just looking for Ideas,:lightbulb:I am not trying to copy anyone.

Here's a pic of my '06 RSV, it was born a blackcherry beauty. I tore it down this past winter and painted it in a silver/blue two-tone...(I work in a bodyshop as a painter so it only cost me the price of materials). There's A LOT OF PARTS so it's not going to be cheap to have it done! Putting your own colors on a bike really makes it your own like no other accessory. Good luck with the project. Larry

http://www.maj.com/gallery/bowa/rsv/new_tires_1.jpg

No, it wasn't too bad at all. The inner front fairing was probably the worst part because of all the wiring, cassette player, etc. etc.. that goes with it. Have a service manual handy and you should be fine. It's definitely time consuming but all in all it's not too difficult. Also, it's helpful to have a bunch of ziploc baggies to put the hardware (nuts, screws, bolts, etc.) in.... label the baggies and keep the hardware for each part in their own baggie so you don't get all the bolts, etc. mixed up, makes re-assembly much easier. Take some digital pics for reference so you'll know exactly where all the wiring is routed. Good luck, Larry

I too am partial to the two-tone paint scheme. If I were to repaint my Midnight Venture it would have to be two-tone. I think it really sets off the lines of the bike better. I don't really care for the 07 blue/black but there are plenty of other combinations!

http://www.moonshinesteel.com/images/choppersmiley.gif

Dog

Yeah, mine will definately be two or maybe three tone. I like the way HD does two tone with a fat stripe in the middle but I want it to look different. I have thought about the current style on the RSTD, how the paint job slants toward the back. That way I could keep the Yamaha look but just say I stole it from the RSTD so I could have the style AND comfort.

Just imagine a paint job like this on a RSV!

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelimagelib/413/3/1/0/image.aspx

Yeah, mine will definately be two or maybe three tone. I like the way HD does two tone with a fat stripe in the middle but I want it to look different. I have thought about the current style on the RSTD, how the paint job slants toward the back. That way I could keep the Yamaha look but just say I stole it from the RSTD so I could have the style AND comfort.

Just imagine a paint job like this on a RSV!

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelimagelib/413/3/1/0/image.aspx

Now that would look sharp!

Had mine painted about 4 years ago and it's holding up very well. Be sure you have a good clear coat put on to protect your new paint job.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/gunnybutch/RSV3-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/gunnybutch/Whitewall.jpg

I have a '99 RSV. The paint is starting to show some age (I guess the previous owner didn't keep it waxed) so I am thinking of painting it. If I do paint it, I want to change the colors. Does anyone have pics of custom painted RSV's to help give me some ideas? I have some thoughts but most of them have come from custom painted HDs. I would not mind some average-joe mistaking my bike for a HD but I also want fellow RSV riders to recognize my bike as what it is.

Just looking for Ideas,:lightbulb:I am not trying to copy anyone.

Hey Brent, ask "Lone Eagle" for a picture of his bike. It was done over a two year period by (I think this was the person), Signs & Wonders by Sue.........a bit pricy, had my front fender done by her, but she's one of the best. She travels the U.S. every year painting motrocycles and a little bit of everything else. Here's a pic of my front fender. :mustache:

P.S. I guess we won't have twins any more when you get through painting your bike :-(

Hey, Rich! It is not whats on the outside, it's whats on the inside that counts! BTW that fender looks awesome. I talked to a friend of mine who does air brush work like that and asked him to do a radical flame job on my whole bike. He said that materials alone would cost him $200-$300. And that was no charge for labor. I do have a friend I go to church with that has offered the use of his paint booth and offered to spray it if I do all the prep work. My dad and I did the same thing to his last boat he owned and it came out looking like a professional job. Prep is the easy part. The hard part is keeping the drips and runs out of the paint. If my buddy does the paint, he is pro and can keep that from happening. I drew up some paint schemes that I think will look good and I will post them just as soon as I can.

You said you work in paint shop. I have painted a few cars, however many years ago. I used laquere back then, but it was just to darn complicted, and to much work.

If I wanted to do a one color, repaint, with the simpilest paint product ( I guess an enamal type ) paint. Do you have any suggestions as to what brand, and type of paint would you use.

I imagine the products have changed a lot in the last 10 years.

I'm not interested in a fancy two tone, or art work, Just a good durable, simplest to spray on single color.

Do you have any suggestions ??

You said you work in paint shop. I have painted a few cars, however many years ago. I used laquere back then, but it was just to darn complicted, and to much work.

If I wanted to do a one color, repaint, with the simpilest paint product ( I guess an enamal type ) paint. Do you have any suggestions as to what brand, and type of paint would you use.

I'm not interested in a fancy two tone, or art work, Just a good durable, simplest to spray on single color.

IMO, for simplicity, looks, and durability I'd recommend acrylic enamel ... assuming you're using a compressor / spray gun.

George, in the last 10 years not much has changed. Urethane products took over for good back in the late '80's early '90's. Lacquers and enamels aren't used in body shops any longer. If you want a simple, durable product to do a 1 color paint job with, I'd suggest going with a single stage urethane (stick with a solid, non-metallic color). SS urethane dries and cures faster than enamel, they spray easier, have nice gloss, and will give you a durable finish. Be sure to use the proper temp reducers and hardeners. Stay away from enamels or lacquers, they're pretty much out dated (the only place I see them is in rattle cans at the hardware store). Good luck with your project. Larry

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, James - I think that looks great - and definitely would be one of a kind. Nice - and simple - with good flowing lines. Maybe tie the front fender in with the back? Either way, I like it.:thumbsup2:

I thought about some subtle pinstriping throughout to tie it all together.

• 2 months later...

Its all in how mutch You Want To Spend.

Dont hop on the first idea you think is cool. If you are going to invest in a real eye catcher or just something simple. How long are you going to keep this bike,are you painting as an investment or just to satisfy yourself till another bike comes along? My paint was a year in planning,layout,computerlayovers, and sketches.Not to mention a compleat tear down,68 hrs. airbrush time,41 hrs.shop and reasembly time.