IGNORED

It Looks Like I'm Down.

Yeah, I have another problem that I don't know how to surmount. For the last few days I had been noticing how increasingly problematic my bike's starting has been. It had begun to take longer & longer to get it started, with each attempt. Today, I went out to start my bike - and it wouldn't. I mean, it acted as if it wanted to, but it wouldn't start. The Volt-meter would read at the "12" position, with just the key turned to "On". When the 'Start' button is pressed, that needle would dip to the line right at the 'yellow'.

For the first few days of having this new battery, there was a much stronger voltage reading for it. But that is not the case now, though, and I wonder if there is something depleting the battery's power. Would the 'Stator' have any possible connection with this situation?

If not, please share your thoughts on what "I" might be able to do to find out what's going on.

It could be that your stator is on the way out. The stator is the bike's equivilant of an alternator. Do a search on the subject as to how to test the output. You will need a voltmeter that reads AC voltage, which most do.

OK is the battery indeed a "NEW" battery or one that the dealer claimed was new?? You may also want to check all of the battery cable connections and clean up the contacts as well. Pay special attention to the negative cable especially where it attaches to the engine. It may be time to replace those cables with some thicker guage cables...

It could be that your stator is on the way out. The stator is the bike's equivilant of an alternator. Do a search on the subject as to how to test the output. You will need a voltmeter that reads AC voltage, which most do.

OK is the battery indeed a "NEW" battery or one that the dealer claimed was new?? You may also want to check all of the battery cable connections and clean up the contacts as well. Pay special attention to the negative cable especially where it attaches to the engine. It may be time to replace those cables with some thicker guage cables...

Hey there, Robert. Yes, I was kinda fearful of that. If the stator does happen to be the offender, then I am definitely done for the season :( (can't afford the $700-$800 that I hear being quoted for a new one).

About the replaced battery; all I know is that I saw them pull one from a sealed box, and show it to me. It wasn't a maintenance-free type, and I was informed that they would have to fill it with electrolyte - as well as put a 12hr charge on it. And I picked my bike up on the next day

I do honestly believe that they knew of a greater problem, with my bike, and that the cheapest 'band-aid' they could apply was another battery (much cheaper than a stator, or trying to zero down some other electrical drain).

I will never buy anything from FWC again (I gave initials only, for not knowing whether or not spelling out the whole name would be permitted). I, also, will never buy used again. If I am blessed with another bike, it will be a new one. And I won't have to worry about inheriting someone else's problems.

Nathan, I've been following your many posts from day 1 and as blunt as this may seem, I gotta say that I think you should dump that bike and get yourself a good one. Seems to me it's nothing but one problem after another for you. I honestly feel for you bud. There's nothing worse than having a scoot that is continuously "breaking down"...especially when one doesn't have the wherewithall to fix it. You need to get a good, reliable scoot so you can get out and ride and enjoy this.

BTW, not all used bikes (or anything else for that matter) are problematic or disposed of by the previous owner because of same. Most every vehicle I've ever owned (bikes included) has been pre-owned. Yes, I've had a few bad ones but most of them have been good, reliable, vehicles. It's oftentimes situations such as yours that tend to put a sour taste in one's mouth. As the old saying goes, "one bad apple....".

My apologies for speaking my mind.

Nathan, I've been following your many posts from day 1 and as blunt as this may seem, I gotta say that I think you should dump that bike and get yourself a good one. Seems to me it's nothing but one problem after another for you. I honestly feel for you bud. There's nothing worse than having a scoot that is continuously "breaking down"...especially when one doesn't have the wherewithall to fix it. You need to get a good, reliable scoot so you can get out and ride and enjoy this.

BTW, not all used bikes (or anything else for that matter) are problematic or disposed of by the previous owner because of same. Most every vehicle I've ever owned (bikes included) has been pre-owned. Yes, I've had a few bad ones but most of them have been good, reliable, vehicles. It's oftentimes situations such as yours that tend to put a sour taste in one's mouth. As the old saying goes, "one bad apple....".

My apologies for speaking my mind.

SilvrT,

There is absolutely no need for you to be apologetic behind anything that you have said. There was nothing in any way offensive about what you expressed. In fact, you spoke of nothing but realism & truth.

Yes, I know that there are many good used vehicles out there. It's just that I have had my share of the problematic ones. I went to the dealer, thinking that I might have gotten a fairer shake. But I am of the mind that I just might have gotten a much better deal had I bought from a private owner.

$2500 for a problem-clothed vehicle (especially within the first month of having it) is kind of a bitter pill to swallow. But, as I said before, I have no one to blame but myself. I went into this whole thing in a backward manner, and am now paying the price for it.

But I will tinker around with it, and see what I (myself) can come up with. It doesn't look like I'll be riding any more, this season, but (if it's God's will) maybe next season will find me on a new bike, or even on this one being in much greater shape.

Thanks.

that price you quoted sounded high, so I just checked on ebay, and there are a half dozen stators for under $135 for your bike.

Best of luck to you,

Steve

Thanks Steve.

This is good info. If I can determine that the stator is indeed defective, I will most certainly look to where you have suggested. It would be a far cry cheaper icon7.gif.

I just came back to say that I went out to grab a smoke, a few moments ago (don't ever smoke in the house), and I just stood there looking at my scoot. Something told me to (just for the heck of it) to try starting it again. I gave it one shot, and it cranked right up. It was a little 'spotty sounding', but smoothed out with a little coaxing from a few throttle twists. I was wondering if this smacked, to any degree, of a fuel filter issue.

Regarding the 'stator' concern, allow me to ask a question. If the stator is indeed going bad, will it exhibit a steady downward (problematic) progression, or will it sometimes work right - and sometimes not?

I am now about to search for that stator repair information, to see what I can do about checking it out.

Pretty much if a stator goes, it goes period. There is a connection that can be problematic where the stator wires connect together. Contact Dragonrider Lewis as he is aware of the problem and can give you details. Now moreso I am suspecting battery cables.

Yes, I know who FreeWC is. I've always considered them to be a bike graveyard more than anything else. Don't give up on the bike because, as you have already discovered, when they are running, they are beautiful!! You just are experiencing some kinks that need to be ironed out one at a time. These bikes generally are good for well over 100,000 miles and are generally very dependable. I wouldn't part with Goldie for the world, even if Becky did say I could buy a new one...

Pretty much if a stator goes, it goes period. There is a connection that can be problematic where the stator wires connect together. Contact Dragonslayer Lewis as he is aware of the problem and can give you details. Now moreso I am suspecting battery cables.

Yes, I know who FreeWC is. I've always considered them to be a bike graveyard more than anything else. Don't give up on the bike because, as you have already discovered, when they are running, they are beautiful!! You just are experiencing some kinks that need to be ironed out one at a time. These bikes generally are good for well over 100,000 miles and are generally very dependable. I wouldn't part with Goldie for the world, even if Becky did say I could buy a new one...

Thanks Robert.

You know, I may have been a little outdone by the whole thing, but I can assure you that I would NOT just give up on my bike. I fell in love with one of these, about sixteen years ago, and always wanted one. Even if I had the money - right today - to buy a brand new one, I don't think that I would consider parting with my scoot. And if I ever get it running as right as it should, I wouldn't even THINK of trying to buy a new bike. I don't have to have the newest thing out there, and my '83 VR (despite its age) is STILL (IMO) one of the sharpest looking scoots out there. I can't tell you how many times I have been stopped by others, when I have left a store, and asked what kind of bike mine was. That query was always followed by expressions of how nice the bike looked.

No...I won't get rid of my scoot. She's a little ill, right now, and needs a little doctoring. So now it's about me donning the appropriate garb; outfitting myself with the necessary tools & manuals, and doing all that I can to make her better. She'd done very well for me, on the few outings that I have had with her, and it is now time for me to return the favors icon7.gif. I know how that may sound a little crazy, but that's how I feel about my bike.

Maybe one day I will have the much desired opportunity of meeting some of you - with my 'baby' in a much healthier manner of being.

Nathan, I know exactly how you feel. I have had people stand in awe when I tell them my bike will be 25 years old in April.

What you are experiencing is pretty much the typical problem areas on the early 1st gens. For the stator, the first thing you need to do is what bongo suggested. Take the left side cover off and there is a connection with three white wires going into a connection. I have seen these connections almost burned up where the connection is not tight enough. In fact, on mine, I just by passed the connection and soldered the wires together and put shrink sleeving on them. The other concern is these early bikes did not cool the stator good and they do get black and short out. I replaced the stator in mine several years ago and it is working fine. Not a big job other than getting the three screws loose that hold the stator on. There are several good comments about how to do this, so do not fret about it. Also noted was the battery and cable upgrades. Both help.

The good thing about some of the problems you are facing is these have been improved on in later years. Once you fix the problem, it is unlikely it will happen again. And, you are NOT going to encounter anything someone here is not knowledgeable about. We 1st genners have been through about everything, but we still love them.

I keep a journal on my bike and when I go back and read about the things I did in the first six months I owned my bike, it is a wonder I had time to ride it. But, everything I did to it made me own it even more, from the inside out.

RandyA

Thanks Randy.

You have made me feel a WHOLE lot better about things, and I really appreciate it. Thanks.

I have pulled some of mine apart, not because I found a problem. But to prevent one in the future, as in my preventative on the 2nd gear fix & u joint replacement (while engine was out), earlier this year. Much of the bikes history was unknown to me, I want it in top mechanical shape, before fixing the remaining body issues.

Some people do not like to tinker with older bikes, but I do. I also ride it a lot too, will be riding it to Eastern Alberta again next week.

*Note to self* Do not kill another deer with bike - too painful & expensive.:bang head:

Hey Nathan, go out and locate the white 3-Wire Connector under the Seat, unplug and check it for Stain and and or melted Contacs.

Then, get yourself a Digital Multi Meter, DMM, from Wal-Mart, Autozone or Home Depot or whereever Do-IT-Yourselves Stuff is sold. There is no Need to buy a good and expensive One. It should be able to measure Volts in AC and DC up to 200 Volts and Resistance. If there is a small Beeper to check if a Connection ist open or not, this would be real nice.

If you're not familiar with the use of a DMM, check here ...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13136

Then, with a charged Battery proceed like this

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=114279&postcount=8

and

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=103556&postcount=7

If you read the complete Threads, there are a Lot more helpful Instructions and Hints to gahter.

Also, research GeorgeS's Postings, he's very knowlegable and familiar with 1Gens and does a Hell of a Job in explaining electrical Issues to those, who where not familiar with Electrics and Electronics.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/search.php?do=finduser&u=679

All in all, you can learn a Lot here, and you just have to ask, you are not alone ...

As for your Question, sometimes only one of the three Coils of the Stator is going South. This can happen dued to thermal Issues. The charging System is weak at this Point, because the Ammount of produced Current is just enough to keep the Bike going or a bit less than that. Also, the Regulater/Rectifier could be weak, two of six internal Diodes are shot and there is one Path on the AC-Input which doesn't put out any DC.

So, it's Time to read, learn, understand and find the Bug, cure the Problem and get yourselves out on the Road afterwards. You can do it!

I agree totally with Squeeze, who is also one smart Kraut!! There is a wealth of info on this site and one big family of caring and helpful people to boot!

I too fell in love with the 1st gens when they first came out but was unable to afford one. Think I was riding a '74 Yamaha XS500 at the time...

So now it's about me donning the appropriate garb; outfitting myself with the necessary tools & manuals, and doing all that I can to make her better.

You have a great attitude! Even if you may not get much riding in this summer, you will most definately learn a lot about these bikes and moreover, you'll have an "intimate" connection with your "baby". Once you get her all fixed up you'll feel a major sense of pride that she's "YOURS"! This is all a part of becoming "one" with your ride.

Stick with it, don't give up, and don't become discouraged. I know this contradicts what I said earlier about "dumping it" but I could see in your words a level of discouragement and I was just hoping for you to be able to enjoy the ride. I am starting to see now that these many problems you're having might actually be a "blessing in disguise".

^5

:thumbsup2:

"I went to the dealer, thinking that I might have gotten a fairer shake. But I am of the mind that I just might have gotten a much better deal had I bought from a private owner. "

Yeah, used stuff is always a risk but I think private owners are a better bet. You can talk to them and get a feel, and hope for the best, while dealers tend to be professional liars.

However, as others have said, don't give up. I agree with the batt cable idea. Upgrades are nice, but just start by checking your connections at the battery and at the other ends (engine for ground, solenoid for hot). Clean them, tighten them, put some vaseline on them to slow future corrosion.

Jeremy

hey Nathan , one3 thing to note is when your battery is low starting the bike it wont start untill you let off the starter buttoncatching just as you let off. i gueese the low voltage isnt enough for a spark and the starter. so choking her trying to strat crenking can make it flooded also.

One more very simple and easy thing to do to make your bike start better is to put new spark plugs in it. No kidding, my 83 starts to start hard the plugs are the culprit every time.:2cents::D

Thanks. I will do just that.

I didn't get a chance to do anything to the bike, just yet, because of some other demands that surfaced, and the rain that came about (my scoot is outside) when attention to those demands had been addressed. But the installation of a new set of plugs sounds like a very good idea. I remember how some posters mentioned the high probability of the need for plugs, after the usage of that Sea Foam. earlier on, I had followed someone's suggestion of using an entire can of Sea Foam in a full tank of gas, and I wonder if maybe the plugs are now in a fouled position due to the loosening properties of that fuel additive. Whether that was the case, or not, a set of plugs is a small price to pay for any degree of betterment. From the smell which now emanates from the exhaust pipes, I believe that new plugs are indeed of the order.

Regarding the 'stator' concern, allow me to ask a question. If the stator is indeed going bad, will it exhibit a steady downward (problematic) progression, or will it sometimes work right - and sometimes not?

I had the same problem last fall through the spring, my stator did seem to fail gradually, possibly masked a bit by a strong battery until the repeated deep cycling of the battery caused it to fail as well. my stator was around the $160 mark after shipping, Gaskets added another 20, I also replace cracked water pump impeller, bearing, and seal at the same time. Make sure you seal those wires where they come out of the cover well. I didn't and will be pulling it off again soon to fix a harlyesque style puddle producer.:080402gudl_prv: