IGNORED

Better check your bolts!

As a former Harley rider, I got a lot of ribbing because of supposed bolts falling off, oil leaks, etc... I found out that all bikes, no matter the manufacturer, needs to be tightened on a regular basis. Harley is active in the vibration/loosening of bolts issues more than others. Their engine is a 45 degree offset, the most unbalanced engine made. They are very proud of that. They had to get tough to keep bolts on. A good check every service is a safe thing to do.

This has already been mentioned, but it bears repeating. (A bunch of times)

Remove the bolt that holds your shift lever on and put a drop of BLUE Loctite on it.

Mine came of on I-40 somewhere south of Nashville. It's easy to slip back on,, but it will be one more surprise when it comes off...:crying: :whistling:

If you carry allen wrenches with you, the front side cover bolt makes a good emergency replacement.:whistling:

After reading the posts I decided to grab the allen wrench, cresent wrench, and pliers and start a front to back check of every nut and bolt I could find. Several were loose and easy to tighten, especially the ones holding on the right side hard bag. I felt comfortable that everything was great, until the ride home at night. As I'm headed down a DARK road, searching for animals...the passing light on the right hand side started shaking and it then turned into a search light, looking for aircraft! Remember to check the screws that hold those puppies on. The right side screw was gone and the left side was loose. Actually used a bandaid from my first aid kit to hold the light together until I got home.

• 2 months later...

Since reading this thread several months ago, I have been very diligent about checking the bike's bolts/screws, especially those known trouble makers referred to above. However, I didn't see this one coming.

MyPalomino and I were on a short ride 2 days ago, when I stopped for gas. I inserted the key into the gas cap and noticed that the cap did not release in its normal way. As a matter of fact, it was downright difficult to remove it from the tank. The chrome top rotated in a complete circle as I attempted to remove the cap, but the cap would not release. Even after holding the top with one hand, I could only get a partial release of the cap. I starting jiggling the cap and rocking it back and forth until it finally released. Took approximately 2-3 minutes.

When I held the gas cap in my hand, I noticed that the base was extremely loosened from the chrome top and when I turned it upside down it looked as pictured below. The screw on the right was very loose and the screw on the left was missing. I assume that it fell into the tank, however, I have no idea if it was before or during my removal of the cap at this gas stop. I looked into the tank before pumping the gas but I did not see any signs of the screw. Upon tightening the remaining screw, I was able to get the cap to lock again, but it takes an extra twist on the chrome top to get it to seat normally. I plan to check the parts fiche for the size and dimensions of a replacement screw and in the meantime, I have two questions.

1. Is there any urgency in locating and removing the missing screw from the gas tank, assuming it fell into there?

2. Is loctite an option for these screws, considering the rubber gaskets around the inner portion of the cap?

I did not drop the cap on any previous occasion, so the screw likely worked loose during normal removal of the cap and/or operation of the bike. It was likely in place when I purchased the bike in March, 2008, since I never had any problems removing the cap before the last gas stop. Probably a screw we should add to this list.

Any suggestions and thoughts appreciated.

That is something that I would never have imagined to come loose. I may have to take a close look today, when I am right next to my bike (check the gas cap inner screw).

As for your questions, I may not be so alarmed right now to take out that screw in the tank...but if you get a chance during the winter break that may be a good project to tackle and get that screw out from the tank. As far as Loctite is concerned, personally, I would not use it in the gas tank.

Thanks for the post.

I recall Blackjack made a similar post a few months ago and several members reported, that when they checked their gas cap, the screws were also loose. Seems to be an item that needs to be added to everyone's maintenance list.

ahem!!! ... I haven't read this entire thread but ... should we be publicly talking about all the stuff on our YAMAHA's that come loose and/or fall off??? I mean, isn't that an exclusive thing to HARLEY's? We don't want this leaking out to the public now do we?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

ahem!!! ... I haven't read this entire thread but ... should we be publicly talking about all the stuff on our YAMAHA's that come loose and/or fall off??? I mean, isn't that an exclusive thing to HARLEY's? We don't want this leaking out to the public now do we?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

This thread confirms, that the 2nd genners have at least, a few screws loose..... :stickpoke::rotf::rotf:

I recall Blackjack made a similar post a few months ago and several members reported, that when they checked their gas cap, the screws were also loose. Seems to be an item that needs to be added to everyone's maintenance list.

Thanx RandyR,...I don't know how I missed Blackjack's thread. I guess I should pay more attention to the Watering Hole. I certainly would have added it my list of screws to check and probably would have nipped this situation in the bud. For the convenience of others, here is link to that thread:

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35894]Important: check this out if you have a Yamaha locking gas cap... - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

Still uncertain about using loctite here.

Jerry

This thread confirms, that the 2nd genners have at least, a few screws loose..... :stickpoke::rotf::rotf:

Yeah but the screws are not loose enuff to make us want to own/ride 1st Gens......:crackup:

Boomer.....who knows they can't make enuff Blue Locktite for those older warshing machines.:nanner:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all...just reading a few past info's...thought I might toss this in the hat..there is a torque grease called "NEVER SEIGE" civilian term or "ANTI-SEIGE" military term...can pick it up in the "GRAY" mix at wally world...holds the torque applied on a bolt-nut nearly for ever..the composition is not the same a lot-tite...the military uses it on everything that can come loose...I used it for 20 yrs while I was in and ever sinse...4 yammers.650-1100-1900-RSV now..no problems at all...Carl:thumbsup2:

Boomer.....who knows they can't make enuff Blue Locktite for those older warshing machines.

The only places it is used is the driveshaft yoke nut & the brake rotor mounting screws... I don't need to buy it by the case like you..........:stickpoke: