IGNORED

Drive shaft maintenance nightmare

Jinksy4

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry to hear of these problems with the seals. I honestly don't understand it though. I have pulled mine several times and have pulled and lubed them for several other members here also and have never had this problem. Have never even considered having a spare on hand. Maybe I should though.

I'm sorry to hear of these problems with the seals. I honestly don't understand it though. I have pulled mine several times and have pulled and lubed them for several other members here also and have never had this problem. Have never even considered having a spare on hand. Maybe I should though.

Don (Nelson),

It was my own fault in my case. I was just being nosey when I had the drive shaft out and wanted to see what was in there. The final drive input shaft was being stubborn and I somehow tore it manhandling it. I chock it up to experience and am glad I was able to repair it and take some photos for others to use. Eck told me once. TAKE PICS, SOMEONE WILL ASK!

BTW, I am certainly no expert on Venture repair and look forward to challenges from those who are. Thanks guys for helping us all do our own work. There are excellent articles on this board.

Ponch

part # is 93108-23007-00 this is for a 2 second gen. it may fit a 1 gen not sure.

don c.

Thanks to both you and Ponch for posting the part # for that dang seal. I could not find it listed or shown anywhere - Have Clymer manual and checked several on line listings. Can get back to work now.

It may be a good idea to add Lithium Soap on the seal before installation...not sure(?).

Somebody mentioned that the spline that attaches to the 'pumpkin' does not need to be lubed with Honda Moly60 since it is lubed by the drive shaft gear oil. Is this accurate or not?

It may be a good idea to add Lithium Soap on the seal before installation...not sure(?).

Somebody mentioned that the spline that attaches to the 'pumpkin' does not need to be lubed with Honda Moly60 since it is lubed by the drive shaft gear oil. Is this accurate or not?

Yes, that's right. The Ring Gear throws Oil up to the Pinion Gear Shaft and through those two Holes the Spline is lubed by Design.

I personally think a very minor(!!) Touch of Moly60 wouldn't harm in any Way, since the Moly attaches to the Material of the Spline it would be helping to keep the Splines in good Shape. Very minor actually means a minor and thin Layer !!

Yes, that's right. The Ring Gear throws Oil up to the Pinion Gear Shaft and through those two Holes the Spline is lubed by Design.

I personally think a very minor(!!) Touch of Moly60 wouldn't harm in any Way, since the Moly attaches to the Material of the Spline it would be helping to keep the Splines in good Shape. Very minor actually means a minor and thin Layer !!

Squeeze, Thanks for your input.

just to update new part number for the drive shaft oil seal is now #93108-43013-00 if you order on line ipc shows old # but on checkout converts to new #. been to 3 dealers on northside of houston no one keeps any in stock. called sportsplazza in seattle, wash. they gave a ship time of march 24-31 if i ordered today. said they don't keep it in stock either.

don c.

when i finaly receive my new drive shaft oil seal i will be puting some lube around the lip so it won't be so hard to pull out of the pumpkin next time. we do this on airplanes, but they have groves that they fit into. the lube is to help from puting a nick or tear in the seal /o-ring as you reassemble. didn't think would have to do this on the pumpkin, but i will do it this time. thanks all

don c.

when i finaly receive my new drive shaft oil seal i will be puting some lube around the lip so it won't be so hard to pull out of the pumpkin next time. we do this on airplanes, but they have groves that they fit into. the lube is to help from puting a nick or tear in the seal /o-ring as you reassemble. didn't think would have to do this on the pumpkin, but i will do it this time. thanks all

don c.

I called thirteen dealers in the Houston vicinity and had to pay extra for speedy delivery. I was going to Ft. Worth that Friday. I ordered Tuesday am and got it Thursday. Most of the parts guys I talked to said they had never ordered one before. You know how that goes though.

Ponch

Thanks to both you and Ponch for posting the part # for that dang seal. I could not find it listed or shown anywhere - Have Clymer manual and checked several on line listings. Can get back to work now.

Do you know about the manuals and other literature you can download from this board?

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91

They are very helpful.

i even tryed the online order for www.cyclepartsnation.com the earlyest i could get one from them was the 24'th of march. and that was paying for ups next day service. looking back i would say don't pull the shaft out of the pumpkin if you don't have too. keep it all together, do pull the assy. out of the swing arm and do use moly60 on the forward splines. don't feel the rear spline need to have moly 60 as it gets splashed lube from pumpkinand the moly 60 would just wash off. just my 2-cents. the other online web site is www.yamahasportsplaza.com

in seattle,wash. thanks

don c.

just to update new part number for the drive shaft oil seal is now #93108-43013-00 if you order on line ipc shows old # but on checkout converts to new #. been to 3 dealers on northside of houston no one keeps any in stock. called sportsplazza in seattle, wash. they gave a ship time of march 24-31 if i ordered today. said they don't keep it in stock either.

don c.

Great information! I am referencing the old number with the new part #. Thanks.:happy34:

don't feel the rear spline need to have moly 60 as it gets splashed lube from pumpkinand the moly 60 would just wash off.

I don't think the rear splines get splashed with rear lube. Mine was dry on disassembly.

There is a hole that is drilled thru the female part of the rear spline that connects to the rear drive, but it is very high in the rear end and spins, so centrifugal force would spin any gear oil off of it.

When you disassembled your bikes rear end, did you drain the final drive before removal? If not, if you tipped it, the rear spline would get gear oil on it.

I do think the rear spline would benefit from some Moly60 on it as well as the final drive gears could too... I added a pea sized ball of Moly60 to my final drive.....

kite

last year when i pulled my drive shaft out for mx. i didn't see or pay any attention to those 2 holes in the pumpkin. when i lubed everything i just used axel / wheel bearing grease on everything. when i pulled everything apart saturday, i noticed the splines were almost dry on the u-joint side of the drive shaft. the rear splines had some lube on them from the splash of the ring & pinion gear. now i also drained the lube out of the pumpkin before removeing it from the swing arm. the fingers going into the hub were dry also, just like the first time. i will use the moly 60 this time and give that a try. may have to lube more often since i a'm getting better milage with my car tire.

don c.

Do you know about the manuals and other literature you can download from this board?

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91

They are very helpful.

Ya Ponch - I do - thanks.

Could not find the part # on any of them - just showed the seal at the opposite end of the drive shaft. Even went to the Yamaha Dealer and their fiche showed the same thing. They said that the seal for the pumpkin end is at a higher level of assembly and would be included with buying a new drive shaft! I walked out and ordered the seal on line.

Jinksy

Don't ya love the response you get from some parts guys? I had this happen at the auto parts store too.

"Could not find the part # on any of them - just showed the seal at the opposite end of the drive shaft. Even went to the Yamaha Dealer and their fiche showed the same thing. They said that the seal for the pumpkin end is at a higher level of assembly and would be included with buying a new drive shaft! I walked out and ordered the seal on line."

...as far as the part # goes, when I open the Parts manual downloaded from the VR.org site, and go to the second page of the Drive Shaft section, it shows item #33 and the part number.

I hope this helps.

I don't think the rear splines get splashed with rear lube. Mine was dry on disassembly.

There is a hole that is drilled thru the female part of the rear spline that connects to the rear drive, but it is very high in the rear end and spins, so centrifugal force would spin any gear oil off of it.

When you disassembled your bikes rear end, did you drain the final drive before removal? If not, if you tipped it, the rear spline would get gear oil on it.

I do think the rear spline would benefit from some Moly60 on it as well as the final drive gears could too... I added a pea sized ball of Moly60 to my final drive.....

I've been looking at the service manual and the parts diagrams and remembering to when I lubed my driveline and I don't see any way that gearoil would get to the rear spline. I plan on going back in with Moly sometime and I'll have to check it all out. Just to be safe, I would lube it anyway.

Don't ya love the response you get from some parts guys? I had this happen at the auto parts store too.

"Could not find the part # on any of them - just showed the seal at the opposite end of the drive shaft. Even went to the Yamaha Dealer and their fiche showed the same thing. They said that the seal for the pumpkin end is at a higher level of assembly and would be included with buying a new drive shaft! I walked out and ordered the seal on line."

...as far as the part # goes, when I open the Parts manual downloaded from the VR.org site, and go to the second page of the Drive Shaft section, it shows item #33 and the part number.

I hope this helps.

Sorry for going on and on about this - If I understand the schematic correctly, it shows #33 being assembled in front of the snap ring (35) on the punkin end of the drive shaft - and it shows that we need only one #33 oil seal - wouldn't it show that we need (2) #33's for both ends?

Jinksy