IGNORED

Drive shaft maintenance nightmare

Jinksy4

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#33 seal is to keep the grease in at the rear. The other end of the driveshaft slides into a yoke on the front u-joint. In front of that ujoint there would be a seal around the shaft it connects to but you aren't working on that end.

Edit: I see where your confusion is. The diagram is confusing but correct. All the pieces to the left of #36 are way up next to the engine. #33, #34, #35 and #36 all fit just in front of the rear splines on the driveshaft

Edited by BigBoyinMS

I pulled the input shaft out of the final drive and placed it in a vice. I used a screwdriver to nudge the seal down (a little bit on each side) until I was able to use two screwdrivers to put equal pressure on each side of the seal at the same time. It then slid right off.

When replacing the seal, I used gentle force on a the box end of a wrench to seat the seal back on the shaft.

[ATTACH]27298[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27299[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27300[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27301[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27302[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27303[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27304[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27305[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27306[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27307[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27308[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27309[/ATTACH]

WOW, you actually have teeth on yours, my 07 was replaced at 8,300 miles.

the Shaft would not come out either, had the hammer it out. seals were shot also.

had entire shaft & spindle replaced. Note(when putting tires back on, grease the hell out of the spindle & hub) too much is not enough. I now have 31,000. on it, everytime I replace a tire, I regrease the Hub& Spindle

Thanks folks for hanging in there on this thread. A lot of good information has been shared and I finally get it about how the oil seal is described and located on the drive shaft schematic.

The oil seal part number is:

93108-23007-00

Which has been updated to:

93108-43013-00

Jinksy

There was some discussion earlier in this thread about whether or not you should grease the splines on the drive shaft, especially the large end mating with the pinion gear.

The answer is absolutely yes. It is immaterial if that is bathed in oil or not (and I don't know), but the shop manual specifically calls for greasing both ends of the drive shaft with

Molybdenum disulfide grease. Just thought I'd clear that up.

Goose

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg