IGNORED

16K Mile maintenence...How Much?

I don't know, I'm afraid to ask. You should try hooking up with some of guys here as they do plan get toughens for just that. You will get the hands on learning you need to own a bike and its fun.:thumbsup: Start a thread asking for anyone in your state about it.

Edited by ToRide1

I bought a Morgan carb tune --have plugs --antifreeze and everything else to do the tune up. Going to do it myself--Dont trust the dealers --especially the one nearest to me. I can mess it up myself--- dont need to pay someone to do it. ----Buzz

I agree with all the above.

Side note: When I was young I would figure what the maintenance cost me to do, and what the dealer would charge, take half the difference and buy Craftsman hand tools with it.

In about 5 years I stopped buying tools as there were none that I needed....... I had a full set....

Thanks for the input. I'll start price shopping.

A few members suggest I do it myself. You have to understand, I have minimal mechanical skills. ( fact is, I hate doing that kind of stuff becuase it never makes sense to me, I do change oil, & plugs, though)

Buying a tool set makes me no more of a mechanic then a mechanic buying a piano and being a pianist. I can play the mechanical equivelance of "chop sticks"!

BTW...I do play guitar:guitarist 2:

Thanks again! If I find a good price, I'll post for anyone else who is "mechanically challenged".

Well, perhaps you don't need to be a mechanic. Lots of people here willing to assist you. Perhaps someone in your area will help and you can trade for their help.

You know how to buy beer right??????

Got any skills you can trade??

Do you know how to BBQ?

A good BBQ with beer will bring a lot of us over.

Attend a Maintenance Day. Your not gonna overhaul the bikejust tune it and change fluids.

I just had the 20,000 mile service done on my 07 RSV at Sherman Power Sports in North Texas. They said they did everything listed in the manual which is basically go thru everything on the bike. It cost me $265.

• 2 months later...

I, too, am mechanically inferior...BUT...I am also a stingy SOB with my money (especially when half my $$$ goes to child support). So I basically am forced to do a lot of work myself. You know, I have found that I am more mechanically sound than I thought. Especially with all of the tech articles on this site and the vast experience and knowledge of the members here. I have saved a good bit of money doing things myself. The big thing (for me) was to not get scared of the bike and/or work to be performed. I have my laptop next to me while I am working on the bike and just dive in. My 2 cents.

I'm almost due my 16K service also...I will be doing most of the work myself.

Good luck to ya.

If I am not mistaken, spark plug replacement is recommended every 8K miles. Valve Adjustment is somewhere around 26K miles. Some say that they had their valves checked at around 26K and everything were in spec.

If I am not mistaken, spark plug replacement is recommended every 8K miles. Valve Adjustment is somewhere around 26K miles. Some say that they had their valves checked at around 26K and everything were in spec.

I would say if your bike is in the 5 yr warranty period you best have the Valves Checked @ 26,000 and if need be adjusted, otherwise any mechanical failure in engine will be blamed on that!!! Do not give them the opportunity window. My 2 cents.

I too have a 2006, 660cc Yamaha Rhino RUV and same story... I can do all the Maintenance except check and if need be adjust the Valves. Yes the Valves did need adjusting :).

My bad, not sure why I was thinking 20k miles. Still don't understand why yamaha would recommend it (spark plugs) unless they plan on you taking it to them to have it done for an hours worth of shop time.