IGNORED

Top speed problem

Burninator

My 86 Venture Royale will not go much above 5500 to 6000 rpm in 4th and 5th gear. It seems to hit a wall and won't go any faster. Can anyone suggest what the cause is and how to fix it. Is it a timing problem or weak valve springs causing the valves to float at high rpm?

Otherwise the motor starts right away, runs very smoothly. I am probably not getting the acceleration that I should at the lower range but as this is my first Venture I have nothing to compare it with. At this time, my V-Star 1100 Classic has far more top end.

Help!!

its funny i'm having this exact same problem. did your bike sit for any length of time? mine was in pieces for the past 6 years. I just keep running seafoam through it every other tank and my accelleration and top speed seems to steadly get better.

It sounds like it could be either a spark timing issue, or a fuel restriction. Check your spark timing, then try a new fuel filter after you run the seafoam through it. Check for rust in the tank that may be plugging things up. To check for rust let the bike sit overnight, then drain som fuel into a clear container. Then shake up the tank and do it again. There should be no sediment in the bottom of the container either time. Any sediment at all is a problem.

If you tried all of the above, check fuel filter, electric pump pressure, carb slides action and main carb jets. I had this to happen on two bikes, 75 KZ 900 small CLEAR stone in main jet ( looked like gas bubble) and 82 GS1100 GK Suzuki ( to much oil on K&N filter).

i have one slide in the carbs sticks a lil its whats causing my bike to have to rev high to get her movin. didn't think it would be effecting my top speed just sticking a lil when trying to leave a stop. looks like its time to track down a new slide. dont need the rubber diagphram just the plastic tube that it attaches to. anyone got a parts bike they wanna sell one of those slides? lol

First of all good replies to the main question but have any of you thought to do the wide open throttle set up that is in the service manual? if the throttle plates are not opening fully the bike will not reach top speed.

Just my suggestion

Tiny if you are not getting enough vac on the upper side of the carbs the engine will not perform up to its full potential If the scoots only problem is top end I would not thing that the mini air filters would be the problem unless they are restricting the flow

Jeff

I dont have an air filter box... I have 4 chrome 48mm air filters. would this cause the issue?

to make a long Answer short ....

YES !!!!!

Not it can cause, it IS causing Problems, when the Carbs are not rejetted properly to this Setup.

ok i'll throw the stock box back on tonight and see if it corrects the issue. i remember gaining alot of speed once i put em on but i also patched on of the carb diaphrams when i did it so it might have been counter productive.

Replace your Diaphrams,

Check idle mixture adjust needle valves, ( 2 1/8 turns open )

Replace the Stock Air box.

Drain the bowls.

Drain the Gas Tank.

Replace fuel Filter.

Do a Carb Sync.

Then go from there:

ok i'll throw the stock box back on tonight and see if it corrects the issue. i remember gaining alot of speed once i put em on but i also patched on of the carb diaphrams when i did it so it might have been counter productive.

Is there any Update on that Issue ?