IGNORED

Children’s ATV sales banned?!?!?! Feds at it again

CMIKE

Did any of you see this? Tell me it is not so...

http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20090228/ARTICLES/902289930

Children’s ATV sales banned throughout the nation

Matt Stamey/Staff

http://www.dailycomet.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=HC&Date=20090228&Category=ARTICLES&ArtNo=902289930&Ref=AR&MaxW=600&border=0Glenn Diedrich, owner of Cycle World, hangs a warning tag onto a Honda motorcycle on the floor of his store Wednesday afternoon. ATVs and dirt bikes intended for children under 12 have been banned nationwide. The bike he’s hanging the tag onto is just above the size that’s been banned.

If you’re interested in buying a dirt bike or all-terrain vehicle for a child, you’re out of luck.A new federal law bans the sale of off-road vehicles for kids under 12, part of a broader measure aimed at preventing lead poisoning in children.

Retailers say the law is overly broad and children have a miniscule risk of lead exposure from engine components and other parts of the vehicles.

“It’s absolutely ridiculous,” said Glenn Diedrich, owner of Cycle World at 5509 W. Park Ave., whose business sold the children’s models until the law took effect Feb. 10. “You’re not going to see a child biting the fender or licking the cylinder.”

The federal Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, born amid outcries over children getting sick from lead components in toys imported from China, puts in place new strict standards for testing and safety in a wide range of toys used by children, including ATVs.

For now, all models must be pulled until tests can be developed to detect lead, or until industry advocates succeed in getting models exempted from the law.

That means retailers across the country, like Diedrich, are stuck with inventory sitting in their showrooms that they might not ever be able to sell. The law could cost the industry $1 billion for this year alone, according to an estimate from the Specialty Vehicle Institute of America and the Motorcycle Industry Council.

Diedrich last week showed a reporter some of the models, which include dirt bikes that look like smaller versions of lighter motorcycles as well as four-wheeler ATVs.

The law , he is certain, will have a major impact on his 42-year-old business.

Typically, he sells just over 100 of the bikes per year for between $1,100 and $3,000, and they’re particularly hot around Christmas, he said.

In January, the junior-sized models made up about 10 percent of his business. Since the law took effect, he’s had to turn away about half a dozen potential customers. He can change a tire or the oil on the devices but is prohibited from selling any parts or performing any other service on the bikes.

Safety advocates call the new restrictions a double-edged sword. They could help discourage children’s use of the vehicles, said Sarah Anders, executive director of Louisiana Safe Kids, a coalition of public, private and voluntary organizations aimed at decreasing accidental injuries among children.

But young ones may just climb onto adult vehicles and put themselves even more at risk, they say.

“I believe all that’s going to do is (have) the children riding ill-sized units,” said Alicia Toups, chairwoman of the ATV committee of the regional Safe Community Task Force. “Make sure they’re on the correct size vehicle or not at all.”

Diedrich, who regularly teaches ATV-safety programs, said his customers act responsibly and know how to operate them safely. He also makes sure children are matched to a correct device with power levels appropriate for their age. They should also use the appropriate safety gear and wear a helmet.

“They understand how these units are used,” Diedrich said of his customers. Kids “can learn how to ride these bikes safely.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report

So whats going to stop me from buying one, if I want one ??

Now, if I let my kid ride it. ??? Are they going to throw me in jail ???

Just wondering --- Hmmmm

I do not think they will throw you in jail...it is just illegal for the dealers to sale them. So they will just have to hold on to them till the government testing can be done so they will be certified LEAD Free.

That ought to drive the nail in the coffin for the already struggling dealers. :confused07:

That somehow makes no sense to me, whatsoever. I would bet at some point ABATE or AMA (or one of those organizations) is going to get all over that one. What is to stop a parent from just walking in and buying the bike - how is the dealer supposed to "question" the motif - or whatever. Sometimes, some laws or suggestions are good, sometimes they get too carried away - my two cents.

That somehow makes no sense to me, whatsoever. I would bet at some point ABATE or AMA (or one of those organizations) is going to get all over that one. What is to stop a parent from just walking in and buying the bike - how is the dealer supposed to "question" the motif - or whatever. Sometimes, some laws or suggestions are good, sometimes they get too carried away - my two cents.

Sometimes? :sign I dont agree:

Thank God the gubmint is there to save us from ourselves.

No this is serious, the dealers can't sell a small motorcycle or Atv to an adult also if it is designed for a child to ride. You can't buy parts for the machines either. Some manufacturers use the same part for childs and adult bikes like clutch levers or other electical items and you cn't buy that either just in case you might try to put it on your kids bike. The Consumer Products Safety Commision doesn't like any motorcycles or ATV's so this is there way in the backdoor to ban them all including mine and yours.

No this is serious, the dealers can't sell a small motorcycle or Atv to an adult also if it is designed for a child to ride.

Mini, looks like you will be S.O.L., for riding any scoot of your own........ At least for now.............................

:stickpoke::duck::rotf::rotf::canada:

Could this law, be construed as discrimination, against dwarf riders????????

Well do you have any idea how much LEAD is in our auto/cages? :yikes: The HUMM HUMM, Smart "people" :stickpoke: better ban car seats too or you can bet someone will class action law suit and make "another" Lawyer rich! :mo money:(No offence to any of our lawyer members).:whistling:

There are some people inside and outside of our government and their agenda is! They want a zero tolerance lead ban and will even use the protect the kids thing to get what they want.

they already have done the same with kids clothes this year and it will cost millions to have it all tested before it can be sold.

Well do you have any idea how much LEAD is in our auto/cages? :yikes:

Actually there is 0% added Tetra-ethyl lead in on-road automobile fuel sold in North America.

HOWEVER there is Tetra-ethyl lead in gasoline for small planes that is sold at airports and for race cars sold at race tracks. the octane rating of these fuels is normally 100 or higher.

Tetra-ethyl lead destroys catalytic converters, so it will not work in most on-road automobiles manufactured sense 1975.

Even if they manage to force the manufacturers/importers to use paints without lead-based pigments, what are they going to to do about batteries? After all, if a kid is going to chew the fender of the ATV, they will have to be concerned about eating the terminals off the battery too!

Absolute crap!

Ross

Even if they manage to force the manufacturers/importers to use paints without lead-based pigments, what are they going to to do about batteries? After all, if a kid is going to chew the fender of the ATV, they will have to be concerned about eating the terminals off the battery too!

Absolute crap!

Ross

Thats just it most of the manufacturers are using high tech pants many of them to day are water based and safer for the work environment and faster and easer to use. Next it will be the batteries. many are not thinking its the lead they don't want the general public to access to lead.