IGNORED

Michelin Commanders

jrcain32

I would like to hear from some of you that have ran Commanders on the RSV. I would like to know how many miles I can expect out of a set, how they handle, etc. I have only run D404's and I am not happy with them. Only 6000 miles on my current rear and it needs replacing. I am interested only in the Michelin. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Brigestone's were the tire that came with the bike and I hated them. Tried a set Avons next and they were alot better. Then I got a set of Commanders and I really like them. I'm on my 3rd set. The mileage has been around 16k on the first two sets, that's mostly 2 up and I pull my trailer quite a bit. I think the front tire is a little narrower than the Avon or the Bridgestone, so it seems to me to handle better than the others. It could just be the way I ride.

I may try the Dunlop Elite 3 next time, but the bike will have about 85k. Who knows there could be a Gen 3 by then. :happy65:

I have run the Michelin Commanders on my '99 and they are a VERY good tire. I am an Avon venom fan as that is my 1st choice for tires on the Venture, but the Commander is a close second. You wont be disappointed with them, your mileage will vary, but I'm an agressive rider and do a lot of 2 up. I had about 13K on my last set.

The bike is only 20-30 lbs lighter and everthing else is the same.

I like the Commanders a LOT better than the Brick's. My first ones were great - got 20k or 22 out of the front and about 12-14 out of the rear. Second rear was just as good as the first (12-14k). Third rear seems a little slicker in the wet. May have just been the roads had gotten oil built up (Late summer in the middle of the drought just a little shower every once in a while) or I may have been riding more aggressively not sure (I think I got around 12 or 13 out of it).

I am on the second front and am guessing I have around 15k on it and it still looks great.

They ride GREAT - never feel lines in the road and are very smooth coming into and out of corners. I was forced to put another Brick on last October - It really didn't ride that bad but they wear out fast and it is starting to howl in corners and ride is starting to deteriorate at around 3k miles. (Does stick good in rain though). I am trying terribly to decide whether to put commanders back on or try an e3. really thinking about trying the e3 just to see if the mileage is much better. Will be due in probably a month. I ride pretty hard - not as bad as some but, I do stress them. The rear Bricks are getting around 6-7k and the Mich's - around 12-14. So they definitely last a lot longer. Let us know what you decide.

I run only the Commanders. When I first got this bike it had Avon Venoms on it and I couldn't wait to get them off.

The Commanders give a good comfortable ride and really stick to the road when it's wet out. I average about 18,000 on the rear and close to 30,000 on the front. I just put my 3rd set on early January. Now you have to understand that everyone will get different wear mileage, depending on style of riding and the roads you ride. 95% of my riding is flat roads since I live on the East Coast of North Carolina. Tires will wear more in the mountains and hills. They now make the smaller front tire that many here rave about. Me personally, while it does make a difference in handling I don't feel it makes enough of a difference to me to warrant putting another one on. Next time I'll go back to the original size.

I ordered mine from South West Moto and they were delivered in about 3 days. Great company to deal with.

• 1 month later...

Any real noticable difference between the Michelin's and the Avons? I'm thinking that the 150/80 16 71H TL-TT (front) and the 150/90-15 M/c 74 H TL / TT (whatever all those numbers/letters mean) are the correct Michelins for an '05 Tour Deluxe?

I have had 2 sets of Avon's - loved them - thinking about trying out these Michelins.

I have been using them. and they have been great

Heck I have a Rear one now in the shed on the

Complete rear Wheel Unit. Only 5K on it.

(Wheel, Tire, Hub, Drive shaft.. yadda yadda !)

Gunna be hard to package that stuff in a huge box *lol*

maybe I could do local pick-up only. ??? :think:

Jeff

I too, only use Commanders. Good price point, great grip, higher mileage tire than some others. Get every bit of 15k out of the rear, and always 5k over that on the front.

I dont ever push my bike too hard into the corners, so I have not noticed any additional noise. Certainly MUCH quieter than the stock Dunlaps.

But I also am very loyal to Michelin, and only use their tires on our vehicles as well. :12101:

I have the stock 404 on the rear with only 4000 miles on it and it sounds like a ground grip tire on a 4 wheel drive in the curves. Mostly if you get the tire off center it is noisy. It does not seem to be scalloped or nothing. I look at it all the time to figure out why it is making that noise. I thought something was wrong with the bike at first. (Bearing or something out)

I cannot wait to get these 404's off. I am probably gonna changed them before they are worn out.

Guest tx2sturgis

I suspect the noise in the curves is due to more tread pattern and maybe, less actual rubber in contact during the lean. Just a guess.

Curious as to what air pressure's you folks are use with the Michelin Commanders?. I'm running with 36 front 41 rear and just wondering if I should use more in the rear or not.

I run 38 Front 42 Rear. I am a big guy that's why I run 42 in the rear.

I suspect the noise in the curves is due to more tread pattern and maybe, less actual rubber in contact during the lean. Just a guess.

I have only noticed noise in the corners when my pressures are low. There is plenty of tread on the sides and maybe that's what people are hearing. Keep the pressures right, scrape the floorboards in the curves and wear the tire evenly and there should be no noticeable noise.

Any real noticable difference between the Michelin's and the Avons? I'm thinking that the 150/80 16 71H TL-TT (front) and the 150/90-15 M/c 74 H TL / TT (whatever all those numbers/letters mean) are the correct Michelins for an '05 Tour Deluxe?

I have had 2 sets of Avon's - loved them - thinking about trying out these Michelins.

Everyone has there preference in tires and a lot depends on how they ride. When I got my RSV it was used and had Avon Venom's on it with roughly 2,000 miles on them. I couldn't wait to get them off, in fact I hated them so much I ordered Commanders within 2 weeks of buying the bike. Others just love the Venoms, for me they don't feel comfortable in the corners, I have to work the bike to get it over. Not so with the Commanders, the bike is nimble and easy to roll into the corners. Again that's just my opinion.

I am considering giving the Elite 3's a shot next time around. Not fully sold on the idea, but am giving it some thought.

I have the stock 404 on the rear with only 4000 miles on it and it sounds like a ground grip tire on a 4 wheel drive in the curves. Mostly if you get the tire off center it is noisy. It does not seem to be scalloped or nothing. I look at it all the time to figure out why it is making that noise. I thought something was wrong with the bike at first. (Bearing or something out)

I cannot wait to get these 404's off. I am probably gonna changed them before they are worn out.

Cornering noise from tires on some bikes is very common, and not just from cupped or abnormally worn tires. On the RSV, the stock Brickstone rear tire that most of them come with is well known to begin howling with only slight leans with only 3,000-4,000 miles on it (even just weaving in a lane) . I have never run the D404s, so I cannot comment on the noise form them, other than I don't recall hearing a lot of complaints about it. I do know that the Perelli tires will howl some, but not real bad, and I have often seen moderate complaints about the noise from Michelin Commanders. Avon Venoms have always been completely silent for me, and I suspect the Dunlop E3s will be just as silent since they have very similar tread patterns. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I have only noticed noise in the corners when my pressures are low. There is plenty of tread on the sides and maybe that's what people are hearing. Keep the pressures right, scrape the floorboards in the curves and wear the tire evenly and there should be no noticeable noise.

I check air pressure before each ride (daily if riding). I am very religious about this on my bikes and my cages. Use a digital gauge and ocassionally verify with another gauge. ( I got over 87000 miles on a set of tires on my car now)

Thanks for the comments though.

I think it is just the rear tire or at least it sounds like the rear only. I am a little skiddish on scrapping the floorboards just yet...maybe later...but do not want to take a chance of a crash right now. But I have noticed the sound decreases after hitting some curvy roads. At first I thought I had a bearing out and there may possibly be one out.

I should be able to confirm that in a few days cause...

I Got a set of E3's (both front and rear) on the way now.

Anybody need a good pair of OEM 404's let me know. They got plenty of meat left on them. I will sell them cheap.

I check air pressure before each ride (daily if riding). I am very religious about this on my bikes and my cages. Use a digital gauge and ocassionally verify with another gauge. ( I got over 87000 miles on a set of tires on my car now)

Thanks for the comments though.

I think it is just the rear tire or at least it sounds like the rear only. I am a little skiddish on scrapping the floorboards just yet...maybe later...but do not want to take a chance of a crash right now. But I have noticed the sound decreases after hitting some curvy roads. At first I thought I had a bearing out and there may possibly be one out.

I should be able to confirm that in a few days cause...

I Got a set of E3's (both front and rear) on the way now.

Anybody need a good pair of OEM 404's let me know. They got plenty of meat left on them. I will sell them cheap.

I try to check mine once a week, it's not practical for me to check them before each ride since I ride to work every day. I have noticed that the Commanders don't loose too much air over time.

I doubt you have a bearing going out. I had over 80,000 miles on mine before I had to replace the front bearings. The rear are fine.

Yeah don't scrape the floorboards until you feel really comfortable, I was just trying to get my message across. I try not to scrape them too often, but my meaning was to work the bike more in the corners so that you don't end up with the center of the rear tire flattened out. It makes the bike feel weird rolling into curves.