IGNORED

RSV Stator - Buckeye vs Hotshot

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum but not to RSV's. I want to install a higher output stator in my 1999 RSV (for reasons I'm sure everyone knows about). Stock output is 29A @ 14V @ 5000 RPM. The only two I could find are from Ricks ( http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=21-412H&pmc=MDBZYW1YVloxMzAwVEY= ) who state theirs puts out 40 to 45 amps for $160, and from Buckeye ( http://www.buckeyeperformance.com/p24.htm ) who states theirs puts out 55 amps for $239. The latter equates to a 83% increase over stock which I wonder if is even possible. Both dealers say they have their stators made up by an undisclosed third party.

Has anyone had any experience with these two stators to determine if one is superior to the other and if the Buckeye is really better? I would be ticked if I later found out they both were the same and from the same manufacturer and had paid 50% more from the latter seller.

Any help with this?

Roadrider (Grant)

PS. I posted this on another forum but the jury still seems to be out on the topic.

Hi Grant. As Far As I know there are 2 our members who are install new alternators on rsv.

Squidley, and Ruffy.

Squidley was order his from some california co, and have nothing but trouble, with part and customer service

Ruffy has his ordered from buckeye, and installed with no problems for now. They will chime in later

Good luck

All I can say is this. I ride a 1st gen and am getting ready to upgrading the stator on my '84. I won't get the performance that the 2nd gens get but an increase of about 30%. Good enough for me.

But I will say I have been dealing with Buckeye, Rick H., for the last couple of years on parts and he is a standup guy across the board. He is a wealth of info, solid advice and knows about everything that a guy can know about the VR's and RSV's.

Given a choice of other options from different providers I'd have to go with Buckeye without question.

Mike

I just installed a new high output stator from Buckeye Performance and it comes with the 2 casing caskets. Had no problems installing it. Took me one afternoon to do so. Rick H , good guy to deal with and I got a lot of good info from Ruffy. Everything seems to be working fine, but I haven't been able to go for a good long ride to give it a good test.

have bought parts from Rick's Motorcycle electronics for my 83 Nighthawk 750 and I was very pleased with the service. Friend's of mine have bought nighthawk stuff from him as well.

That being said, I do not know of anyone who has purchased a RSV stator from ricks. But it would be the first place I look if I ever needed an electrical part for any of my bikes.

The output of the stator is determined by the number of windings in the coils. In reality, one stator will produce more voltage at a set rpm than another. The voltage comes out as an alternating sine wave and is rectified blah blah blah

Bottom line, call both companies and ask them how many turns of wire are on each coil of the stator. If they both have the same number of turns the output will be the same. If one has more turns than the other the one with higher turns will have more output. However, this does not mean that down stream electrical components (like the rectifier and voltage regulator) are designed to handle this increase. Food for thought.

Edited by Gregory Gill

However, this does not mean that down stream electrical components (like the rectifier and voltage regulator) are designed to handle this increase. Food for thought.

That has been my concern as well, but I know of several people who have used the buckeye stator and had no problems at all.

One thing people can do to get about 60w back is to pull the fuse on the carb heaters. I did that last winter and have had no problems running heated gloves, socks, and grips.

As a final note. I have gotten several things from Rick over the years and he is in fact a stand up guy and will treat you right. If I were to upgrade my stator, there is no doubt I would go with Buckeye Performance. If he says 55 amps I have no reason to believe different. BTW I do believe Rick was the first to get the Stator upgrade and he did it because members here and at the other venture site asked him to do so.

Edited by SaltyDawg

I dont understand, why to upgrade stator If you can just take off un-neccessery load. For example, Carb Heaters, Inatal LED Turning signals and tail /break light, Change headlight bulb with Hi light output Works as 100/110 w bulb, but consume same as stock. And if you have passing lights, exchange bulbs with LED's.

I'm running 2 sets of heated clothing without dischargin electrical system.

If is not broken, dont fix'em.

I dont understand, why to upgrade stator If you can just take off un-neccessery load. For example, Carb Heaters, Inatal LED Turning signals and tail /break light, Change headlight bulb with Hi light output Works as 100/110 w bulb, but consume same as stock. And if you have passing lights, exchange bulbs with LED's.

I'm running 2 sets of heated clothing without dischargin electrical system.

If is not broken, dont fix'em.

Because that would be un-American

MORE POWER!:240:

And if you have passing lights, exchange bulbs with LED's.

I have thought about doing this BUT 1)I have yet to see LED "bulbs" actually used in passing lights (while the replacements exist, never heard of anyone actually doing it...unless I missed it here) 2)concerned with the actual light output (not whether people can see me, but what I can see) & 3)The LED bulb replacements are rather expensive just to "test out"....

Now if I was to actually see a comparison, I would definetly consider it, as I love the pure white light of LEDs and the low power consumption :D

I have thought about doing this BUT 1)I have yet to see LED "bulbs" actually used in passing lights (while the replacements exist, never heard of anyone actually doing it...unless I missed it here) 2)concerned with the actual light output (not whether people can see me, but what I can see) & 3)The LED bulb replacements are rather expensive just to "test out"....

Now if I was to actually see a comparison, I would definetly consider it, as I love the pure white light of LEDs and the low power consumption :D

Check Out this link:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR

There are some high power LED PAR36 bulbs on the market, but the ones I saw were $$$$$$$$..

I read an article that said they are being stress tested on some HumV's in Iraq.

NO failed units.... yet but you know how hard some of those guys are on their equipment.

Several reasons. to replace. In addtion to higher amperage output.

The Insulation used on the stock stator windings, Melts. As this happens, then the wires on the lowere windings, that run in Hot Oil, short together electriclly.

This happens slowly over time and mile. The more wires that short to each other the lower the AC output voltage of that set of windings.

This problem was much more prevelant on the 1st Gens, but also happens on the 2nd gens.

Another trouble spot, to keep an Eagle Eye on for the 2nd gens is the Large Plug on the Rectifyer/Regulator Unit.

Liek I said...I know they are out there, but have yet to see anyone actually use them. And what really concerns me with them is the output in lumens (click here for specs)...40 for the 9 LED version seems mighty low considering the average for a 35w H3 bulb is around 700-750...of course, the following line on the same specs page is also not that encouraging: "These bulbs are suitable for Daytime Running Lamps only - they do not produce enough light for useful illumination at night"

Low power is nice, but they are useless if I can't get any light out of them...