IGNORED

Kentucky horse farm area

FreezyRider

Dont know exactly where you all are headed but if your anyway near the Red River Gorge you dont want to miss it! I did some two tracking looking for abandoned coal mines a while back and came across the gorge in the process - WOW!!!

GORGEous for sure hahaha

'Puc

That's true. From Lexington that is a decent day ride to Natural Bridge state park, Sky Bridge, Red River Gorge and on through Nada Tunnel. You would probably need 5 to 6 hours to make that trip and return to Lexington. Another great ride if you have all day is to take 89 out of Winchester or you could pick it up in Irvin and ride to McKee. After riding it you would wonder why anyone would ever want to ride the "Dragon".

Dennis

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have Streets and Trips software, open the attachment to see the routing I took with my Mom a couple of summers ago. You will need to unzip the file. The final file extension is .est.

What version of the software? I have streets and trips but was unable to open the file.

Dennis

Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions. Wow, this looks like it could really be good.

For right now, I think we'd plan on riding down on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. We'd arrive in the Lexington area probably late afternoon, then could meet a bunch of hungry bikers somewhere for some good old Kaintucky Vittles. Sunday would be available for whatever exploring we all wanted to do (and a bunch more eatin too), and then we'd head home on Monday.

I know that weekend may be busy for some of ya, but the more we could get the merrier! Let me do some further planning and see what comes from this. Meanwhile, y'all get that weekend on your calendar if possible!

COME ON, SPRING!

Joe

We're shooting a wedding that weekend so we're out, maybe next time. Have a safe trip you can't go wrong in that part of the country, beautiful!

We're shooting a wedding that weekend so we're out, maybe next time. Have a safe trip you can't go wrong in that part of the country, beautiful!

Sorry to hear that you can't make it that weekend. Life is busy, that's for sure.

We'll look forward to seeing you another time, another place.

Joe

why don't one of you kentucky guys put a fall meet together down there, like about 3 days. you could make it coincide with the st. jude ride to memphis in sept.. it will take way more than one day to take in all the sites.it takes half a day just to see the horse park. it would be the last hoorah of the season. just a thought. i would consider doing it but i got to many meets going now. i would be glad to help someone all i can. bill :2133:

• 2 weeks later...
I would love to come down for this.. what weekend are you planning on Bob

Bob didn't plan this! This is all freezyrider gig, I am at his disposal however to lend any help or guidance I can. I like playing tour guide! Tina reminded me tonight of this, I had actually let it slip my mind.

The plan, as I understand is for several couples to gather in Lexington on the Friday before Labor Day, and to ride the central Ky area on Saturday and Sunday, giving them Monday to return to their homes. As far as I am concerned, the more the merrier.

I am quite sure if he is around that Midrsv will be along, and between he and I there will be no rock left unturned for you guys.

• 1 month later...

In the picture where you are 3 abreast, if you come on down that road to the next stoplight(11 miles) and turn left, I'll be home and the coffee will be ready in 5 minutes.

Don't recognize the road with the double yellow line and hill.

After talking with Freezyrider yesterday at the M&E I decided we should start doing a little planning. Assuming everyone comes in on Friday evening I would propose we meet for breakfast on Saturday morning and then start off on a ride around central KY.

The ride I would like to propose would take us south of Lexington along the KY river palisades to Shakertown which is a historic Shaker village with very beautiful grounds. From there we would continue through Burgin with a stop at the Kickstand, a very nice motorcycle accessory shop, and there we could have refreshements or lunch across the street at the Burgin Diner. Definetly not a fancy place to eat but the food is good. From there we could continue riding along some nice country roads and make our way to the Valley View ferry for a ferry ride for our 3rd crossing of the KY river. We would then continue on toward Richmond and I am sure we would have to make a stop at the DQ. Then we would follow US 25 back to Lexington and cross the river for the 4th time for the day. This route would probably take 4 to 6 hours depending on how long we take at stops.

I have created a route on the Harley Davidson ride planner site and you can see it by going to: http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/ridePlanner.jsp?nologin=1&locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

Once on the page select "roads" at the top of the page and select the "show rider submitted roads" box on the left side of the page. Then zoom the map in on an area showing south Lexingtion and maybe Nicholasville. You should see several blocks show up that if you hover the mouse over them you will see a ride name. You should find one labeled "Venturerider.org ride". Once you select it you will see the mapped route and you can zoom in and manipulate it. See the attached screen shot.

This should leave some time in the afternoon for some cruising though the horse farm country. On Sunday we could plan more rides through the farm country or maybe a ride to Natural Bridge, Red River Gorge and Nada tunnel.

These are just a few suggestions and I would be happy to lead these rides or rides to any other areas you would like to visit.

Dennis

Wow, Dennis. Those are some great suggestions!

As far as our little group goes, we don't really have much of a clue, since we don't know the area. I really appreciate the local experts like you and Bob jumping in to make this into what looks like an awesome weekend. I think your plans for Saturday are right on the mark. Riding, seeing some of the interesting local sites, eating, DQ, bike shop....couldn't be much better IMO.

I can't wait!!

Joe

Until I actually talk to Dennis and see what his last plan is I won't make a solid plan. I know you do not want to see the same things both days. While I am at this I do have a couple questions, what type roads do you guys want to ride? When we rode the "bridge ride" with you I was right at home on those roads, is that your preference for roads? Easy enough if so.

Until I actually talk to Dennis and see what his last plan is I won't make a solid plan. I know you do not want to see the same things both days. While I am at this I do have a couple questions, what type roads do you guys want to ride? When we rode the "bridge ride" with you I was right at home on those roads, is that your preference for roads? Easy enough if so.

Yep, you got it. We like twisty, hilly, highly scenic roads and no :rain2: ! Can you do that??:happy34: Doesn't have to be so twisty that it takes all your effort to stay on the road and leaves no time for "gawking" at the scenery though. The bridge ride was pretty well ideal.

We really appreciate you guys taking the time to do this. Without your local knowledge we'd just be wandering around trying to find the good spots.

JOE

So I might be interested, but what exactly are the details.

When?

Where staying?

Meeting when to ride where?

You know all those necessary little details. I would like to come down on Friday, ride Saturday and Sunday and come back Monday.