IGNORED

Kentucky horse farm area

FreezyRider

So I might be interested, but what exactly are the details.

When?

Where staying?

Meeting when to ride where?

You know all those necessary little details. I would like to come down on Friday, ride Saturday and Sunday and come back Monday.

Your schedule fits perfectly. We plan on arriving on Fri evening. Probably stay at a motel around the 113 exit south side of Lexington. Looking at a Red Roof there.....

We'll ride Sat and Sun, head home Monday.

Like Rod Roddy used to say......Come on Down!!!

Joe

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might advise you to start calling for reservations now. If you pm me with a number for an acceptable rate I'll make the calls for you, since I'm local. Advise how many rooms, how many nights, how close to restaurants, etc. I will get best deal I can and pm back the figures.

Are there any local campsites? If so, are they usually booked that weekend too?

We like to camp.:happy34:

The only local camping I am aware of is at the KY Horse Park and I am sure they will be quite busy that weekend.

Dennis

Are there any local campsites? If so, are they usually booked that weekend too?

We like to camp.:happy34:

Only one I can come up with right now. There used to be a KOA camground on exit 99 but I can't find any info on what it is called now, or if it still there. Here is one to start with though;

Riverfront Rv

• (859) 626-1330
  • 8950 Old Richmond Rd
  • Lexington, KY 40515

I did a Travelocity search of hotels around exit 110 on I-75. That location would be convenient to restaurants and shopping areas and it's close to some nice riding areas. There is a Cracker Barrel and Bob Evans at that exit also. Attached are the results of my search.

Well all, I've booked 5 rooms for the Indiana contingent coming down on Friday evening. We'll be at the Super 8 at exit 113 (Buena Vista Ave). I called around and shopped on the Internet and this seemed to be the best price.

As an interesting side note....I've always heard that if you get the best price you can on the Internet and then call the motel directly you can usually get a better price. Not in this case. The guy at the motel couldn't come close to the price on Super 8's website. He said "if that's what is on the internet you better book there". So I did.

Can't wait!!!

Joe

Well all, I've booked 5 rooms for the Indiana contingent coming down on Friday evening. We'll be at the Super 8 at exit 113 (Buena Vista Ave). I called around and shopped on the Internet and this seemed to be the best price.

As an interesting side note....I've always heard that if you get the best price you can on the Internet and then call the motel directly you can usually get a better price. Not in this case. The guy at the motel couldn't come close to the price on Super 8's website. He said "if that's what is on the internet you better book there". So I did.

Can't wait!!!

Joe

Joe, the Super 8 you are referring to is at exit 110 and not 113. Attached is a map of the intersection.

Since everyone will be at that hotel I have modified my proposed route for Saturday to make a big loop around Lexington through some very pretty horse farm areas. The total route is about 125 miles and is a very easy ride. A section of the ride is Pisgah Pike and is noted as a scenic byway. http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2131/

At the intersection of Pisgah and US60 there is the Castle which has a long history of being a vacant shell of an unfinished castle. It has recently been completed and is now a tourist home. http://www.thecastlepost.com/ Maybe you would like to stay there!

A little further along on our way to Shakertown (http://www.shakervillageky.org/) we will ride along the KY River Palisades. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_River_Palisades

From there on to Burgin and the Kickstand, http://www.thekickstandllc.com/.

From Burgin we'll make our way to Valley View for a ferry crossing, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_View_Ferry

From there we'll just cruise some nice country roads through Madison county as we make our way back to your hotel.

I'll work with Bob to come up with something for Sunday. If you have something specific you would like to see let us know.

Dennis

Dennis, we are going to try to make it but don't plan a ride around us just in case we can't. However, I have always heard about the Red River Gorge area. Is that a possible ride for Sunday from exit 110?

Sure, that is a good ride. I'll work up a map of that area and try to post it tomorrow. There have been some forest fires in that area this week.

Dennis

Joe, the Super 8 you are referring to is at exit 110 and not 113. Attached is a map of the intersection.

Since everyone will be at that hotel I have modified my proposed route for Saturday to make a big loop around Lexington through some very pretty horse farm areas. The total route is about 125 miles and is a very easy ride. A section of the ride is Pisgah Pike and is noted as a scenic byway. http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2131/

At the intersection of Pisgah and US60 there is the Castle which has a long history of being a vacant shell of an unfinished castle. It has recently been completed and is now a tourist home. http://www.thecastlepost.com/ Maybe you would like to stay there!

A little further along on our way to Shakertown (http://www.shakervillageky.org/) we will ride along the KY River Palisades. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_River_Palisades

From there on to Burgin and the Kickstand, http://www.thekickstandllc.com/.

From Burgin we'll make our way to Valley View for a ferry crossing, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_View_Ferry

From there we'll just cruise some nice country roads through Madison county as we make our way back to your hotel.

I'll work with Bob to come up with something for Sunday. If you have something specific you would like to see let us know.

Dennis

Wow, that sounds awesome!

Someone mentioned the Red River Gorge....I don't know what that is exactly, but it sure sounds interesting for a Sunday journey.

Thanks again Dennis! And thanks for straightening me out on the exit numbers too.

Joe

Red River Gorge is located about 12 miles East of Natural Bridge State Resort Park. We can about be guaranteed it will be wall to wall people there for the weekend.

Just off the top of my head, and Dennis be sure and chime in if you think this is too much to pack in for a day. We have led groups on a "tour" through there many times. With exit 110 as Point "A", we would ride US 60 to Winchester, through town to KY15, to "Bowen", where we would turn left on Ky 77, proceed through the NADA tunnel(it was carved out in the late 1800's for a logging operation that went on there and later converted to a KY hiway), up to Ky 715, the Sky Bridge rd, and out to Pine Ridge, continueing on 715 to Zachariah and left onto Ky11 to Ky 498, right on that one until we met up with Ky52, or, we could continue on 11 to Beattyville, there is a good sized DQ:cry: on top of the hill before entering Beattyville. Onward to Ky52, right to Irvine, then Richmond, and finally back to Lexington roughly 170 miles as best I remember.

Or, back to the original theme for this ride, we could actually ride roads closer to Lexington and drive through the areas where the horse farms are. I have called Claiborne Farm and Lanes End Farm and neither are receiving visitors that weekend.:thumbdown:

Knowing a little more of how many bikes will actually be present may make splitting into 2 groups more relaxing for every one involved. High probability that there will be 3 of us, Tina, Ray(guy who works for us) and myself.With Dennis taking half and Tina and I taking the other half. This is not something I am recommending nor advising against. Just personal observation is that 6 bikes are easier to coordinate stops and pic opportunities for than 12 bikes would be.

Red River Gorge is located about 12 miles East of Natural Bridge State Resort Park. We can about be guaranteed it will be wall to wall people there for the weekend.

Just off the top of my head, and Dennis be sure and chime in if you think this is too much to pack in for a day. We have led groups on a "tour" through there many times. With exit 110 as Point "A", we would ride US 60 to Winchester, through town to KY15, to "Bowen", where we would turn left on Ky 77, proceed through the NADA tunnel(it was carved out in the late 1800's for a logging operation that went on there and later converted to a KY hiway), up to Ky 715, the Sky Bridge rd, and out to Pine Ridge, continueing on 715 to Zachariah and left onto Ky11 to Ky 498, right on that one until we met up with Ky52, or, we could continue on 11 to Beattyville, there is a good sized DQ:cry: on top of the hill before entering Beattyville. Onward to Ky52, right to Irvine, then Richmond, and finally back to Lexington roughly 170 miles as best I remember.

Or, back to the original theme for this ride, we could actually ride roads closer to Lexington and drive through the areas where the horse farms are. I have called Claiborne Farm and Lanes End Farm and neither are receiving visitors that weekend.:thumbdown:

Knowing a little more of how many bikes will actually be present may make splitting into 2 groups more relaxing for every one involved. High probability that there will be 3 of us, Tina, Ray(guy who works for us) and myself.With Dennis taking half and Tina and I taking the other half. This is not something I am recommending nor advising against. Just personal observation is that 6 bikes are easier to coordinate stops and pic opportunities for than 12 bikes would be.

Bob,

This sounds great to me. Dennis had indicated that the Saturday route would probably get us back into the horse farm area early enough that those who wanted to could explore that area. Sunday, IMO, wouldn't have to be confined to the horse farms. In fact, after reading what you have described, it sounds better to me than the HF area. Especially since there is a large DQ on that route!!!:hihi::hihi:

Joe,

Looks like Bob and Dennis have us covered on rides. I lived down there for awhile and all of what they're talking about is very nice. We used to hike at Natural Bridge and the Red River Gorge. I think it'll be a great weekend wherever we ride around there.

We're ready!

Bob has proposed a very good route. After riding it you'll wonder what all the fuss about the "Dragon" is about. I've created the route on the Harley ride planner and it can be found at: http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/ridePlanner.jsp?nologin=1&locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

Just pick roads at the top and select rider submitted roads on the left and zoom up similar to the image shown below and look for the icon labeled "venturerider red river gorge loop" . Click on that and zoom it up to see real "twisties". For the last leg back to Lexington you might choose to ride the interstate in order to rest a bit.

This is going to be good.

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

BUMP

The Lexington area Memorial Day weekend ride is almost here! Several of you have indicated interest, it's time to make the decision.

Come one, come all!!! I've seen the ride maps that Dennis and Bob have planned....WOW, you don't want to miss this!

Meet in Lexington on Friday evening around 7:00 at the Super 8 motel on Buena Vista Rd, then we're going to dinner at a local BBQ restaurant to start the weekend's festivities.

Hope to see a lot of you there!

Joe

Here is the proposed agenda for this weekend. Hope everyone can make it.

- The Indana groups should arrive around 6:00 Friday

- After a little rest I have a private room reserved at 7:30 for dinner at Corky's BBQ in the Hamburg center which is only a mile or so from the motel.

- Saturday morning we can meet at 8:30 at the Cracker Barrel which is a few doors from the motel for breakfast or coffee

- After breakfast I'll lead a ride through the central KY which will include the farm area, KY river palisades, Shakertown and a ferry ride.

- We should return around mid afternoon to give people a little time to relax before dinner. For dinner I'll lead everyone to Darlin' Jeans Apple Cobbler Cafe in Midway. A 20 to 30 minute ride and we should plan to leave the motel around 6:00 PM.

- Sunday, Bob Myers will lead a ride to the Red River Gorge area with an 8:30 departure.

If there is anything specific that someone wants to see please let us know and Bob and I will do our best to help.

This should be a great weekend and I am looking forward to it.

Well we made it.....We had a great ride, warm sunny and about 360 miles for us. Not bad for the first "real" ride of the year..We met up with Joe and Donna, Lynn and Janet, and John and Teresa at Joe's house about 1pm, and off we went.!! Got iinto Lexington about 5:30 enough time for a badly needed shower and to restout butts and then meet up with the rest for dinner. It doesn't get better than this !!!:banana:

Had a great ride down from Freezyrider's house. A couple exciting moments but we all made it ok. Met Ky. Rider, Midrsv and Bob Meyers for dinner. Nice to meet some more new people. Looking forward to tomorrow and some good riding.