IGNORED

Kentucky horse farm area

FreezyRider

Just wondering if any of you live close to the Lexington, KY horse farm area. We rode with a group to that area about 5-6 years ago and just cruised some of the back roads and took in the beautiful horse farms (with barns that put most mansions to shame!). We also toured the Keeneland (?) race track. Anyway, I'm thinking of putting together a little ride for some friends (and anyone else who would want to meet up) this spring back to that area. When I was there before someone else was leading and I basically paid no attention to the routes we took.

Anyone have any suggestions of roads/routes that we just shouldn't miss? Any other things we should see while we're there?

Thanks,

Joe

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go for it put a meet together. we will come. make it long enough to make it worthwhile for people to come the distance. been there several times and it is one beautiful area. linda and i were thinking about a trip to the horse park in lexington this summer to see the latest retired horses. a meet and eat a couple of days long is fairly easy to do. if you need suggestions just ask. i put a meet on every year in st. charles, mo. not a real big deal but we have a great time. bill ps. don't make it to close to the big meets. :clap2::2133:

what you need to do is find someone in ky. to help with accomodations and routes. you don't have to live there to put the meet on. i have put the ar. meet on the last 2 yr.s and am heading up the 09 rally this year, and live in mo. brad put on the fort collins meet and lives in detroit. believe me the help will come out of the walls and so will the people. you just have to bite the bullet and do it. more fun than you can imagine. if you decide to do it i will help in any way i can. in my spare time. lol. bill :2133:

I lived there for a year or so back in the 90s. Seems that there is a tour route of the horse farms you can follow. The horse park is good. Old Kentucky Chocolates might be a good stop, they have real good chocolate covered bourbon cherries, and a lot of other stuff too. I do believe we have a member who lives in Lexington or right close by. Sue and I would also be interested in doing this, we were talking about it last year.

I'm looking at the Memorial Day weekend. Wife doesn't have a lot of vacation time this year so we have to maximize the long weekends.

Anyone who could come that weekend would be welcome. We could have a really good time on this one.

Snarley, I've wanted to meet you for a long time. It would be awesome if you could come.

Joe

I live in cincinnati and some friends and I ride to lake cumberland a few times a year and go down us27 right by all the horse farms its beautiful!!! count me in if you put a ride together and i live close enough i can still make don's MD.. Ron aka "grasshopper"

Just wondering if any of you live close to the Lexington, KY horse farm area. We rode with a group to that area about 5-6 years ago and just cruised some of the back roads and took in the beautiful horse farms (with barns that put most mansions to shame!). We also toured the Keeneland (?) race track. Anyway, I'm thinking of putting together a little ride for some friends (and anyone else who would want to meet up) this spring back to that area. When I was there before someone else was leading and I basically paid no attention to the routes we took.

Anyone have any suggestions of roads/routes that we just shouldn't miss? Any other things we should see while we're there?

Thanks,

Joe

Try here

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/SouthEast/KY/KY_1.shtml

I live in cincinnati and some friends and I ride to lake cumberland a few times a year and go down us27 right by all the horse farms its beautiful!!! count me in if you put a ride together and i live close enough i can still make don's MD.. Ron aka "grasshopper"

Ron,

That would be great!

Hope to see you then.

Joe

Joe, I put the attached PDF file together for you, this is one of Deb and mine favorite routes, you get to see a little of everything, miles of old dry hand laid fence rows, horse farms, Fort Boonesboro, river valleys and ending with some of the best twisties in KY. Hope that helps.

(See attached)

Thanks, there are some really good routes there.

Since you are so close, would you be able to join us? We could all sit around in the evening and listen to you jam and sing.

Joe

Hope so Joe, have to see how that weekend shakes out and if I have a shoot that weekend. If not would love to join ya! Haven't found a good way to pack the guitar on the bike though :confused24: lol

Freeze, Tina and I live in Paris, 16 miles from the horse park, 5 miles from one of the most famous horse farms in the world, Claiborne Farms. Any time you folks want a guided tour i would be proud to ride with you. Let me know a while in advance when you are coming and what you would like to see. The horse farms have limited weeks of accepting visitors and usually they are appointment is best type deals. If you get lucky and get here on a Thursday i'll take you to a $7.00 buffet with the BEST pork chops in the state, if you like them breaded. Man I love to eat almost as much as I love to ride.

Joe, come on down. I would happy to be your guide. I've grew up and work in Lexington and still live within a couple of hundred yards of the county line in Jessamine county. There are some nice rides around the horse farm areas and some great along the KY river palisades. Attached is a photo I shot while on a ride last fall. Along the way there is nice little motorcycle shop along the way called the "The Kickstand" http://www.thekickstandllc.com/. There is also a ferry over the KY river at Valley View (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_View_Ferry) that had a good road on either side of it.

Just let me know when you want to visit.

Dennis

Edited by Midrsv

If you get lucky and get here on a Thursday i'll take you to a $7.00 buffet with the BEST pork chops in the state, if you like them breaded. Man I love to eat almost as much as I love to ride.

OK Bob, tell me about those pork chops. It's too late for today but Thursday will come around again next week.

Dennis

OK Bob, tell me about those pork chops. It's too late for today but Thursday will come around again next week.

Dennis

There is a place in Gardenside called "Country Cooking by George", it is in the building where Reno's and "Mashed'Taters" used to be. Lunch buffet is $7.65, pretty good food. I ate there today, and could only eat 4 chops, last Thursday I ate 5 and 2 chicken thighs. Try tomorrow night, beef brisket or roast beef, depending on the mood of the cook. Dinner is slightly more, $8.65 I think.

Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions. Wow, this looks like it could really be good.

For right now, I think we'd plan on riding down on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. We'd arrive in the Lexington area probably late afternoon, then could meet a bunch of hungry bikers somewhere for some good old Kaintucky Vittles. Sunday would be available for whatever exploring we all wanted to do (and a bunch more eatin too), and then we'd head home on Monday.

I know that weekend may be busy for some of ya, but the more we could get the merrier! Let me do some further planning and see what comes from this. Meanwhile, y'all get that weekend on your calendar if possible!

COME ON, SPRING!

Joe

Sunday aint long enough, you need to ride down immediately after work on Friday, so you can explore Saturday too. Easy to show you a 5 or 6 hundred mile weekend, with little prospect of seeing anything twice, if you want.

If it looks like a real deal better book motel reservations at least 6 weeks ahead. Places around here fill up early and fast

Dont know exactly where you all are headed but if your anyway near the Red River Gorge you dont want to miss it! I did some two tracking looking for abandoned coal mines a while back and came across the gorge in the process - WOW!!!

GORGEous for sure hahaha

'Puc

Also, don't ride past the Natural Bridge State Park. There are several really great roads in the area. Make sure you hit Hwy 77 and 746 thru the Daniel Boone Nat'l Forest. If I remember correctly, there is a hand hewn tunnel that is very picturesque on that route.

If you have Streets and Trips software, open the attachment to see the routing I took with my Mom a couple of summers ago. You will need to unzip the file. The final file extension is .est.

Have a great ride.

+1 on Motorcycleroads.com

RR

There is a place in Gardenside called "Country Cooking by George", it is in the building where Reno's and "Mashed'Taters" used to be. Lunch buffet is $7.65, pretty good food. I ate there today, and could only eat 4 chops, last Thursday I ate 5 and 2 chicken thighs. Try tomorrow night, beef brisket or roast beef, depending on the mood of the cook. Dinner is slightly more, $8.65 I think.

Thanks, I know the place, the building anyway. I was last there when it was "Mashed Taters" and my brother lives only a couple of blocks away from it. I may check it out today for lunch.

Dennis

Dont know exactly where you all are headed but if your anyway near the Red River Gorge you dont want to miss it! I did some two tracking looking for abandoned coal mines a while back and came across the gorge in the process - WOW!!!

GORGEous for sure hahaha

'Puc

38 miles from Paris!