IGNORED

Not bike related but need some input

SilvrT

I realize this ain't bike related but I know some of you work in the corporate IT field and am hoping to get some guidance / feedback.

As many of you know, I am the "network admin" at my company. We are running an out-dated version of Symantec Antivirus. It's a corporate version centrally managed on a server. While the software is out of date, I can still get updated virus definitions but I'm feeling a bit "insecure" about it.

I'm wondering what ya'll are using in your corporate environment ... pro's/con's ... any info you can give me. I prefer not to again use Symantec or McAfee.

We use Sophos av on all of our machines including their Pure Message software on out email servers. It runs a far smaller footprint than McAfee or Symantec and they specialize in businesses and education. They are set by default to check for new updates every 10 minutes and most of their updates are just a few kbs not mgs like McAfee. Its fully configurable from their console and I have found their helpdesk very accessible and on shore not off shore.

I found them very competitvely priced when compared to McAfee, plus in our case they are allowing us a copy for our home users for free for every desktop we license.

It has been quite well reviewed when we were doing our research before we made the switch.

Brian

We use TrendMicro NeatSuite. How many seats you gotta cover. We have 150 running on 1 server for just 1 regional office and I don't even see it loading down the server. Its works pretty good. About 5k a year for the updates/subscriptions for that server. Don't remember what the original startup was. Maybe 20k. Its pretty much all automated with options for outbreak prevention.cleanup and other addons. We also use a Barracuda 300 for cleaning up email and spam before it gets into the system from the outside world.

Spam runs around 30k to 50k a day with only about 5 or 6 per user getting thru. It updates every hour and stops all email virius

We use TrendMicro NeatSuite. How many seats you gotta cover. We have 150 running on 1 server for just 1 regional office and I don't even see it loading down the server. Its works pretty good. About 5k a year for the updates/subscriptions for that server. Don't remember what the original startup was. Maybe 20k. Its pretty much all automated with options for outbreak prevention.cleanup and other addons. We also use a Barracuda 300 for cleaning up email and spam before it gets into the system from the outside world.

Spam runs around 30k to 50k a day with only about 5 or 6 per user getting thru. It updates every hour and stops all email virius

I'm just a one machine home office set up, but I've been running Trend PC-Cillan for close to 10 years, and it's bullet proof. The first time the virus checker ran me $29 bucks, and lasted for 5 years with auto updates. Now I have the full firewall and it's around $40 bucks per year. Highly recommended... :thumbsup2:

Our Org, Symantec.. huge shop... 15K customers.. 900 + servers.. The RTVScan is proc intensive and has, at times, brought our VM infrastructure to its knees.. There are also issues with some backup software and change journaling with symantec.

At home.. of all things, I found AVAST.. For home it is free.. I have been running it for 3 years now. No issues. They also have a corporate version which i have not delved into.. but it may be a cheaper alternative to Symantec\Norton software.

If you go the avast route, keep me updated.. kinda curious on their implementation..

:080402gudl_prv:

Our Org, Symantec.. huge shop... 15K customers.. 900 + servers.. The RTVScan is proc intensive and has, at times, brought our VM infrastructure to its knees.. There are also issues with some backup software and change journaling with symantec.

At home.. of all things, I found AVAST.. For home it is free.. I have been running it for 3 years now. No issues. They also have a corporate version which i have not delved into.. but it may be a cheaper alternative to Symantec\Norton software.

If you go the avast route, keep me updated.. kinda curious on their implementation..

:080402gudl_prv:

Symantec was here when I started this position so I just kept going with it mostly because I could get the virus defs free and we'd long since stopped paying any annual maintenance fees.

I've had lots of bad experiences with Symantec both on personal PC installs as well as in corporate environments. I'm not going there again. I should mention that whatever I do install will be a "secondary - this side of the firewall" AV protection. Our firewall has pretty good protection that we do subscribe to annually so I might be able to get away with something like Avast on the workstations but it will also have to be able to be centrally managed from a server and protect our servers as well and the updates must come to that one server. The majority of our workstations do not have internet access.

I'm in IT as well and it was my job several years ago to implement our A/V solution and we went with TrendMicro. We also have NeatSuite license like Buddyrich and have it running on all PC's, File Servers and Email servers. We have been using it now for 6 years and we are very happy with it.

Even though we have strong protection with our firewall, it was critical that we also have strong A/V protection inside the firewall as well. It may be different in your situation, but for us, it was necessary that we had one of the top players in A/V on our PC's inside the firewall. We need to be protected from attacks both inside and outside our firewall. You never know when a salesman stops in and plugs in their infected PC into our network.

Good luck

Rick, Our company has Symantec version 11.0.2000.1567 for our network security. We also have a server Firewall. We are linked between three locations nationwide. They are constantly updating the virus protection and it has worked well so far. I'm not in IT, so if any of this is wrong, its the best I know.

You never know when a salesman stops in and plugs in their infected PC into our network.

Good luck

That's a very good point and didn't even occur to me. We don't have this happen very often and the only one's who do are either from the Provincial Government or from IBM .... not that that says anything LOL!

That's a very good point and didn't even occur to me. We don't have this happen very often and the only one's who do are either from the Provincial Government or from IBM .... not that that says anything LOL!

I'd give that IBM Guy the Benefit of the Doubt, but ...

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

Now Lutz... don't even get me started about the "IBM" guys .... LOL I could rant a few pages.....

:D

Rick, i understand what you're trying to say. Did i ever tell you that i live fairly near the SAP Headquarters ?? I personal have no Experience with those Guys, but a Buddy of mine is working for StorageTek in one of the SAP-Building. Another local Buddy works for IBM since 20 Years and he .. .. well i think they're all the same ... ROFL ... I'm running and keeping my own IT and all those new Rules our Gov' shells out every Year are just about enough to keep me busy updating.

But what i really wanted to say is ... I'd probably trust that IBM Guy, but I'd never trust someone from the Gov' to access my Network from inside the Firewall ...

Network Engineer here in Enterprise environment. You need that protection inside the firewall as well. If an inside desktop gets infected by an email or a travelling laptop you could be brought to you knees in minutes. If keeping all you files intact and keeping all the servers and desktops running so people can work you need to have Total protection. I once worked for HP and we got an infection that hit several thousand servers which took several teams of people working a week to clear. Symantec had to keep releasing updates as the virus changed its methods. Also, here is Houston the city just had to shut down Municipal courts etc due to a virus that is taking them a week to eridicate. If your not getting full updates (based on size of update) then you are not being protected. If you are not paying for support from Symantec or Norton or someone then you will be in deep doo doo when it hits the fan. Hope you work for a small company with enough cash to get through the dab time. Its not a matter or will a virus strike its a matter of when? Tell you company they are risking all their files their servers and being able to function if they fail to be fully covered from virus attacks.

Good luck with this. You won't like it if you have to work 24/7 for a week doing nothing but fighting a virus while the entire company continues to call for continous updates so they can go back to work.

Just my 2c worth.

Good luck

But what i really wanted to say is ... I'd probably trust that IBM Guy, but I'd never trust someone from the Gov' to access my Network from inside the Firewall ...

heh... you're so right...especially for us coz we are a contractor to the govn't. we run a call centre for them LOL

I realize this ain't bike related but I know some of you work in the corporate IT field and am hoping to get some guidance / feedback.

As many of you know, I am the "network admin" at my company. We are running an out-dated version of Symantec Antivirus. It's a corporate version centrally managed on a server. While the software is out of date, I can still get updated virus definitions but I'm feeling a bit "insecure" about it.

I'm wondering what ya'll are using in your corporate environment ... pro's/con's ... any info you can give me. I prefer not to again use Symantec or McAfee.

The company I work for (very large) uses Symantec 10.1.6.6000 file version 2/11/09 version 4 on tens of thousands of PCs, not sure what version you are using but we have very little trouble and it seems to work fine.

The company I am contracted to, also very large, uses Trend Micro Office scan version 8.0. on tens of thousands of PCs. they also have very little trouble.

Both companies have vast networks and run tightly controlled firewall layers along with the PC software.

Edited by hig4s