IGNORED

lowering kit

Has any one ever put a lowering kit on a Venture?? :icon_smile_question If so does it handle different? I would like to lower the back 1". I have only found a kit for 1.5". I could handle that But don,t Know how it will handle & would it be hard on the drive shaft? any input welcome.:cool17:

My long legs with only 29" inseam would like it just a little lower.

Edited by Reed

I just took my lowering kit off. It was on when i purchased it.

I first noticed the pipes draging while cornering and on some bump, espicially when I was 2 up and and loaded.

Now that I pulled them off I noticed that the stearing was more nimble at slower speeds. Not exactly a sport bike but more in line with most other bike I have riden.

It is taller but I have a 33 inseam so it has not been an issue.

I think if you lower both the front and back it might not be an issue.

Good luck and if you need a kit let me know before you pay retail.

:2cents:

I have the Baron's lowering kit on my RSV, however I lowered the front first and rode it like that for a few thousand miles before lowering the rear. I just lowered the rear last week and haven't had a chance to get in much riding, but have not noticed anything that would make me want to change it back.

Lowering the front is free using the directions on this site and I like the feel of a lower bike. Keep in mind if you lower both front and rear, you will need to shorten the kickstand.

I did the lowering kit on my 2005 venture but I also did the front as the same time. The bike no longer feels as top heavy at a stop or parking and more control for the same. Going down the road the bike wants to go into turns faster and low speed handling is greatly improved.

Riding two up I did get some bottoming out of the pipes when I hit a dip in the road but adding some air to the rear shock say 54 PSI fixed that and I use 40 PSI solo.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to be a pain, but nowhere are there any instructions for the changing of the brake calipers with the new bracket from Baron's. I had no trouble changing the lowering links, but the bracket for the brake has me completely confused. The instructions that come with the kit are useless, and can't find any instructions on this site. Any decent kind of instructions with or without pictures would greatly be appreciated. I have lowered the front by one and one half inches.

I look forward to riding with the entire bike lowered, as inseam is just to short for this tall of a bike (RSV).

:think:

the only thing I rember is it relocates the calaper so it don't hit the fender. the brack line is the right lenth to do that. there can't be that many places to go with it.

sorry I cant be more help!:think:

Sorry to be a pain, but nowhere are there any instructions for the changing of the brake calipers with the new bracket from Baron's. I had no trouble changing the lowering links, but the bracket for the brake has me completely confused. The instructions that come with the kit are useless, and can't find any instructions on this site. Any decent kind of instructions with or without pictures would greatly be appreciated. I have lowered the front by one and one half inches.

I look forward to riding with the entire bike lowered, as inseam is just to short for this tall of a bike (RSV).

:think:

I hear ya on being inseam challenged, You should post a thread for help from any members here. I live to far from you, So any Canadians want to help a fellow canuck.

Lowering the rear only will have a negative affect on this bike.

Rather than "tucking in" the rake you will be extending it further

degrading the low speed handling capabilities.

If I remember right dropping the front end or raising the rear end

will reduce the rake about 1/2 a degree. Doesn't seem like much

but it make a big difference.

With out taking the time to do the math raising the rear end 1.5 inches

will increase the rake almost 1 degree. This means that your rake would

be about 1.5 degrees higher from where you really want it. That is a

hugh difference with this bike.

Try returning your rear end back to stock and lowering the front end first.

If you still need further lowering you may want to think about using the smaller

tire on the front or even getting with Rick Butler and seeing if he could do

something with your seat for you.

Lowering the back end should be your last resort as you will increase the rake

as well as reduce your clearance.

Just my :2cents:

As I stated earlier in this post, I have lowered both front and rear of my RSV and have no regrets. I will take a picture of how the caliper relocation kit fits and post it on here, maybe that will help in mounting yours. This modification may not be for everyone, but my posts are from my personal experience and I am satisfied with the results. The lowering modification is easily reversible if you are not satisfied. I am thinking give it a try and make your decision based on experience.

I'm not inseam challenged, but I lowered my bike both front and rear and have not noticed any negitive results. 1 inch in the front and a 1/2 inch in the back really does feel better when you're at a stop with the wife on the back. When 2 up I just up the pressure in the rear shock.

Mike,

Here are the pics. that I had posted earlier to help figure out how to mount the brake relocation kit when lowereing the rear of the RSV. The instructions aren't too clear and since you are getting a used kit, I am not thinking there are any instructions.

Edited by Jerry W

I lowered the back of mine with the Barons kit and i like it alot. When riding 2 up you can bottom the bike out if you hit a nasty bump, but i solved that problem by putting about 20 pounds of air in the rear shock. I personally haven't noticed any negative effects of the bikes handling and it still rides like a dream. I guess that it would be better to not have to do it but i didn't have that option, it was either lower it or ride the bike in an unsafe manner because of not having my feet securely on the ground. I also had Rick Butler mod my seat which helped some also, plus it gave me more comfort over the stock seat.

Give it a try and see how you like it, you can always change it back if you need to. I like my bike much better now though and i am leaving the rear lowering kit on.

I have a 30" inseam and could not flat foot with both feet. I am also a light weight (5' 7" and 140 lbs) and was concerned about handling this heavy weight machine. After a lot of reading here, I decided not to lower the rear as I was concerned about handling. I actually decided to raise the rear end using the leveling links for better stability. I then went to a local upholsterer and had the seat shaved down about 3/4". This helped offset the increase height.

Finally, I tried different boots on and ended up buying some Harley Davidson boots. The boots have a thicker sole and heel than most I had tried. I can now flat foot it with both feet and I have the better stability from the leveling links.

This thread has me a little worried about the seat height on the new RSTD that I'm picking up next week. I have a less-than 30inch inseam, and one reason I chose the RSTD over a couple other possible rides is the 29.1inch seat height. I did sit on one in a dealers showroom last year, and it seemed ok, but I will admit, I didn't take it out for a ride. The buy was something of an impulse buy for me when I saw a great price that I could (just barely) afford on ebay, after watching for a couple years, as well as some other models. The local dealer didn't have any discounted 08 models available, so I did the ebay buy-it-now trick. My current ride, a Triumph 2001 Thunderbird, lists the seat height at 30.5inches and I can get my feet down fine, but its a narrower seat. Guess its good to know that lowering the RSTD isn't too difficult if I ever need to do that.

I had a Baron's installed on my '07 Venture right after I purchased it. I did the same thing as Who Dey. Put extra air in the rear tire and in the rear shock. You can bottom out going at fast speeds on a sharp bump or dip.

Otherwise, it's great for inseam challenged people.

Here ya' go. Sorry it took so long to post pics. I have been struggling with cranial rectitus.

Thanks for the pics!

I finally got off my kiester today and installed the kit. Took it for a short ride since I don't have my fairing back yet, but it felt great!!

I have the Baron's lowering kit on my RSV, however I lowered the front first and rode it like that for a few thousand miles before lowering the rear. I just lowered the rear last week and haven't had a chance to get in much riding, but have not noticed anything that would make me want to change it back.

Lowering the front is free using the directions on this site and I like the feel of a lower bike. Keep in mind if you lower both front and rear, you will need to shorten the kickstand.

Hi,

Where did you see the Front Lowering Directions?