IGNORED

Tires - your favorites

Hummingbird

I know this has been discussed more times than I can count, however being a 'newbie' I haven't seen/read any of the discussions.

2 part question - which tires do you prefer ?

what kind of mileage do you expect ?

I guess I should mention that I have a 2007 RSV

thanks

But you recognize that it is an option (to read prior discussion)? Just curious.

I do look around - but I also have other things to do so my time is better spent trying to make a buck or two. If I use up too much bandwidth with repetitive posts or over used drivel I (or you) can request that the moderator delete my threads. I don't mind, your choice.

:hurts:

Have a GREAT day.

Dick Byrd

rbyrd5@neo.rr.com

Dick,

Come on now my friend and meet us half way. It is not an issue of space or bandwidth. We also don't mind answering questions that have been asked many times before. There are some members who don't know how to properly use the search function or computers in general and we are always willing to help however we can.

BUT...to say that you just don't want to because you are too busy and need to make some money? That's not really very fair to all the good folks here who would like to help you. The person who may have the best answer for any particular question may have already answered it. He or she may be a terrible typist who spent 30 minutes typing with one finger to answer somebodies question. It is POSSIBLE that he is trying to make a few bucks to feed his family also but he took the time to help a fellow member so PLEASE....if you don't want to bother doing a search that's fine, but please don't get upset when somebody suggests that your answer may already be here.

Now if you want to, you can make it to my house for Maintenance Day in June. I live in Ohio also and you can walk around and do a tire survey. :) Hope you can make it.

Having owned HD's, Triumps and B'Mers, but never a Yamaha, I came to this site when doing a Google search on RSV's. Then once I got here, finding the information that was available awesome, I began using the search function (which I didn't find right away) to really get myself educated on my new RSV. After lurking for quite a while, I joined. Everyone's approach is different, but I like to read up on threads about a topic and either add to it with my new question (which bumps it to the top and creates new discussion) or start a new one asking a question in furtherence of what has already been discussed and by referencing that prior thread.

After my research on tires using this site, I decided to use AVONS. They are great.

With that, I need to go protect America from all enemies, both foreign and domestic. Good luck making a buck or two.

:mo money:

Dick,

Come on now my friend and meet us half way. It is not an issue of space or bandwidth. We also don't mind answering questions that have been asked many times before. There are some members who don't know how to properly use the search function or computers in general and we are always willing to help however we can.

BUT...to say that you just don't want to because you are too busy and need to make some money? That's not really very fair to all the good folks here who would like to help you. The person who may have the best answer for any particular question may have already answered it. He or she may be a terrible typist who spent 30 minutes typing with one finger to answer somebodies question. It is POSSIBLE that he is trying to make a few bucks to feed his family also but he took the time to help a fellow member so PLEASE....if you don't want to bother doing a search that's fine, but please don't get upset when somebody suggests that your answer may already be here.

Now if you want to, you can make it to my house for Maintenance Day in June. I live in Ohio also and you can walk around and do a tire survey. :) Hope you can make it.

Freebird - first let me apologize for my so immediate response to two tone white- I was definitely in error. I obviously mis-read his remarks and responded in (I felt) kind.

Second - you are about 1 1/2 hours away from me and was on my agenda for a ride this year. Would really enjoy being there.

thirdly - I'm retired, yet don't have nearly as much free time as I did when I was employed. Making a 'buck' is secondary to just doing what I want to do when I want to do it.

fourth - I seldom do an archive search because I prefer current information as opposed to yesterday merely because of the constantly changing technology. ( even with regard to tires)

fifth - THANKS for the responses I did get and thanks for the ones that may yet appear.

Having owned HD's, Triumps and B'Mers, but never a Yamaha, I came to this site when doing a Google search on RSV's. Then once I got here, finding the information that was available awesome, I began using the search function (which I didn't find right away) to really get myself educated on my new RSV. After lurking for quite a while, I joined. Everyone's approach is different, but I like to read up on threads about a topic and either add to it with my new question (which bumps it to the top and creates new discussion) or start a new one asking a question in furtherence of what has already been discussed and by referencing that prior thread.

After my research on tires using this site, I decided to use AVONS. They are great.

With that, I need to go protect America from all enemies, both foreign and domestic. Good luck making a buck or two.

:mo money:

Two Tone - I apologized to Freebird and I recognize that I owe you as well.

Please accept my apology for being an a$$ and not reading what I was reading.

It seems that Avons are the preferred tire but I do know that in auto tires there are 'grades' that determine mileage, price etc. Is that true with bike tires as well ??

With that, I need to go protect America from all enemies, both foreign and domestic.

I did that from 29Feb60 thru 19Feb63

I only know of one Avon that will fit our bikes. Same with most brands though I think there are a couple of Dunlops that work. I too am running the Avons right now and have been very pleased with them. My previous tire was the Michelin Commander. It was a very good tire also and I had no real complaints with it. The minor complaint with the Michelin is that it did howl just a bit in the long sweeping curves. The Avons are very quiet so if everything else turns out to be equal, I will stick with them.

I THINK...haven't tried the Dunlop Elite 3 yet.....hmmmmmmmm

I retired early @ 62 - didn't make sense to keep working if I didn't have to. :banana: besides I have a right knee that isn't. been operated on 4 times, bone to bone, doc finally talked me into replacing it next month. Trouble started in '61' in the Army. - been fun ever since. Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy the summer w/o so darn much pain

I do look around - but I also have other things to do so my time is better spent trying to make a buck or two. If I use up too much bandwidth with repetitive posts or over used drivel I (or you) can request that the moderator delete my threads. I don't mind, your choice.

:hurts:

Have a GREAT day.

Dick Byrd

rbyrd5@neo.rr.com

Please take this post in the spirit in which it is intended. I have no desire to insult you or start a flame war, even though I found your attitude a bit insulting to me.

I have posted in exhaustive detail about my extensive testing of various tires and suspension changes to my RSV. Many members here know that I generally spare no effort to help anyone who I can - either through posting or personal work on their bikes.

But I, too, have much better things to do with my time than waste it re-posting the same information just because someone refuses to read what I have already posted. The part I found somewhat insulting is your apparent belief that your time is more valuable than mine and others. You may not have meant that, but I can't think of any other way to interpret your words.

So my friend, I hope you get the information you desire, but I can't help you more here. If I meet you somewhere, possibly at Don's maintenance day, I'll be happy to talk about it all you want. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

The part I found somewhat insulting is your apparent belief that your time is more valuable than mine and others. You may not have meant that, but I can't think of any other way to interpret your words.

V7Goose - If a blanket apology is needed - that's what I'll do. I apologize

I appreciate your efforts as do many others I'm sure. My response was done in haste to what I presumed to be a minor attack on me. It was rescinded and an apology offered. That's the best I can do.

I'm not a mechanic nor am I a computer whizz so my time spent researching something on the internet or even on this board becomes a total waste of time FOR ME. My priorities are such that at this point, I don't even know how to take the seat off my Venture to check the battery. If and when it fails, I'll probably figure out how to take care of it. Til then, I don't care about it. I keep an eye on the tire pressure and engine oil -

I vote for a group hug and a summary of other tire threads which would show that Avon Venoms seem to be the overwhelming favorite, though a few detest them. Dunlops are probably second place followed by Continental. Metzlers are generally not cared for and some feel they are, in fact, dangerous. Bridgestone's are a near unaninimous least favorite ride.

That's my 2 cents and some loose change from others.

Two Tone - I apologized to Freebird and I recognize that I owe you as well.

Please accept my apology for being an a$$ and not reading what I was reading.

I did that from 29Feb60 thru 19Feb63

No apology sought nor required. Thanks for your service.

V7Goose and a few others have posted some great info which was helpful to me in making my decision. Just don't listen to those "darksiders." :witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew:

TTW

Guys - Again, THANKS to all and I really do feel like an a$$ for thinking that group or individual here would offer anything but help and information. It is I that needs to step back and re-access my thought process.

not meaning to brag about ignorance :doh: but I had to email a member to find out how to post here. Searching for archives would have surely meant buying a new monitor or keyboard :rotf:

It is decided then AVONS it is !!

Dont feel bad as I sometimes cannot find what I am looking for so I may post about a topic that has already been written up on. I think you will get some responses negative on Avons but to be honest I scrach my head when I read them when people say they feel "slick"in the rain or slippery?? 99% who have them love them and it is the first tire Ive ridden on that actually feels VERY stable in the rain. You will also read how the smaller front tire makes it feel lighter..Well when I switched to Avons with the STOCK sizes it made it feel 300 lbs lighter and easier cornering at slow speeds....go figure! I gues it boils down to some people say"Potato" some say or spell "Potatoe" but Ill just stick with "Taters"! Tom

I'll throw this in FWIW I have run many different brands on 1st and 2nd gens. I currently have an '08 with the factory Dunlops on them, and I HATE them. To me Dunlops (404's not the E3's) are terrible in the rain and track a tar snake just as bad. Many like them, but for my riding style I dont. I LOVE, let me say this again LOVE Avon Venoms and will always ballyhoo them, I have also run the Michelin Commanders and they run a close second to the Avons.

Goose has dont some extensive research on different tires and has given some very in depth and honest opinions. Just like everything in life, dont take our words for it, test some out, your riding style is different than mine perhaps.

Guys - Again, THANKS to all and I really do feel like an a$$ for thinking that group or individual here would offer anything but help and information. It is I that needs to step back and re-access my thought process.

not meaning to brag about ignorance :doh: but I had to email a member to find out how to post here. Searching for archives would have surely meant buying a new monitor or keyboard :rotf:

It is decided then AVONS it is !!

i think don said it all, he has a way with words. your one of our gang you got that? don't forget it. ask away. i prefer the avon venoms. infact i'm in the process of mounting a set today. alot of the wing guys are trying the new avon cobras i don't know alot about them yet, fairly new. venoms seem to go along way on any bike, and handling is the best wet or dry. looking forward to meeting you at maintenance day. bill :2133:

X 10 = # 1 Tire

. i prefer the avon venoms. infact i'm in the process of mounting a set today. alot of the wing guys are trying the new avon cobras i don't know alot about them yet, fairly new. venoms seem to go along way on any bike, and handling is the best wet or dry. looking forward to meeting you at maintenance day. bill :2133: