IGNORED

Maintenance NIGHTMARE

Hi everyone,

I've got an absolute nightmare :bang head: on my hands and need some ideas, suggestions or whatever. I've got a 04 RSV that has'nt been ridden in two years because of dealership games.

About 2 years ago the bike began to seriously lose power while riding to the point where i could not get it above about 15 or 20 mph. Lots of backfires and lots of raw fuel coming from the pipes (most of it from the left).

After some investigation i found out it was most likely a stuck float and took it to Powersports dealership on Craig Rd. in North Las Vegas where they worked on it for 2 days and said they had fixed it. They told me it was a stuck float valve due to "bad gas" and that that was not covered under the warranty. They said they had tried a workaround to free the stuck valve. After charging me for "services not covered under the warranty" to the tune of 300 bills I got about 3 blocks before it started acting up again.

Shortly thereafter, I took it to another dealership who told me the same thing and after 200 bucks they said they had fixed it. The next day it started all over again.

After going through an exhaustive move to northern Nevada (in July no less!) I took it to the only Yamaha dealer in town they said they would fix it. I told them, as I had told the others, that the bike was under warranty and I was not going to pay for it. Well, they "fixed" it and charged me 250 dollars for parts and services not under warranty. I got about 2 hours of riding before it happened again.

I called Yamaha and told them my tale of woe. I told them how angry and displeased I was with Yamaha and it's dealers. They said they would look into it and get back to me. They called me back and said they "talked" to the local dealership and wanted me to take the bike back there. Before I could take the bike back there, they announced in the local paper that they would no longer be selling or servicing Yamaha products.

I don't want to sell the bike but that's what I'm about to do. I'm so angry I want to park the bike in front of Yamaha North America and blow it up! I don't have the technical expertise to fix it or balance the carbs. My poor bike has been sitting out all winter is not doing very well.:crying: The warranty has now expired and I'm gunshy of dealerships now.

I love my bike and want to save it but I'm frustrated and don't know what to do.ANY suggestions would be helpful. I'm just about at the end of my rope.

Thanks and ride safe,

Don

NV_Trucker

randdo67@gmail.com

Hi everyone,

I've got an absolute nightmare :bang head: on my hands and need some ideas, suggestions or whatever. I've got a 04 RSV that has'nt been ridden in two years because of dealership games.

About 2 years ago the bike began to seriously lose power while riding to the point where i could not get it above about 15 or 20 mph. Lots of backfires and lots of raw fuel coming from the pipes (most of it from the left).

After some investigation i found out it was most likely a stuck float and took it to Powersports dealership on Craig Rd. in North Las Vegas where they worked on it for 2 days and said they had fixed it. They told me it was a stuck float valve due to "bad gas" and that that was not covered under the warranty. They said they had tried a workaround to free the stuck valve. After charging me for "services not covered under the warranty" to the tune of 300 bills I got about 3 blocks before it started acting up again.

Shortly thereafter, I took it to another dealership who told me the same thing and after 200 bucks they said they had fixed it. The next day it started all over again.

After going through an exhaustive move to northern Nevada (in July no less!) I took it to the only Yamaha dealer in town they said they would fix it. I told them, as I had told the others, that the bike was under warranty and I was not going to pay for it. Well, they "fixed" it and charged me 250 dollars for parts and services not under warranty. I got about 2 hours of riding before it happened again.

I called Yamaha and told them my tale of woe. I told them how angry and displeased I was with Yamaha and it's dealers. They said they would look into it and get back to me. They called me back and said they "talked" to the local dealership and wanted me to take the bike back there. Before I could take the bike back there, they announced in the local paper that they would no longer be selling or servicing Yamaha products.

I don't want to sell the bike but that's what I'm about to do. I'm so angry I want to park the bike in front of Yamaha North America and blow it up! I don't have the technical expertise to fix it or balance the carbs. My poor bike has been sitting out all winter is not doing very well.:crying: The warranty has now expired and I'm gunshy of dealerships now.

I love my bike and want to save it but I'm frustrated and don't know what to do.ANY suggestions would be helpful. I'm just about at the end of my rope.

Thanks and ride safe,

Don

NV_Trucker

randdo67@gmail.com

Try a can of Seafoam, just might do the trick. It's worth a try anyway.

Don-

There are great people on this site with plenty of knowledge about your bike. I'm not sure where you are in No. Nevada but I have a carbtune here in SLC if you're to the east and there are some pretty sharp guys like Condor and Lone Eagle in No. Cal.

There may be someone here that would have the expertise to redo your carbs via the mail with you removing and reinstalling.

Dave

Here is what I would do from where you are at. Turn fuel valve to res, remove the fuel line and drain all the fuel out. Pour 1/2 in tank with the fuel line still off. check the fuel you flushed out for rust or contaminates. Replace fuel line. Mix Seafoam with 1 gal of gas and pour into the tank, run bike for a few minutes to get the fresh mix in the carbs and let set over night. Worth a try. Good luck Rod

Okay, sounds like Seafoam may be the easiest and quickest way to try to fix this. At least it's a 1st attempt. Where can I get Seafoam? Are there directions on the can (box)? Thanks for all the suggestions. I just put this on a few hours ago and am shocked at the quick responses. I have read a bit here and there but have never posted. Thanks again. :fingers-crossed-emo

Don

Okay, sounds like Seafoam may be the easiest and quickest way to try to fix this. At least it's a 1st attempt. Where can I get Seafoam? Are there directions on the can (box)? Thanks for all the suggestions. I just put this on a few hours ago and am shocked at the quick responses. I have read a bit here and there but have never posted. Thanks again. :fingers-crossed-emo

Don

I got mine at the local auto parts store. We have O'Reilly's here but I'm sure NAPA would have it too.

Don

I dont follow recommendations on the can after reading recommendations in here i usually use about half a can or more in a tank of fuel. If your bike is running as badly as you say I would prolly say a full can in a tank would work well. But your bike will run crappy for a while until you burn that tank out thru the bike. Also ive found i got best results if i ran the bike hard with the seafoam in it.

Brian

Might be just water in the tank.

After, draining the Carb Bowls, and fresh gas, use the SEA-FOAM, and maby 1/4 can of HEET, also.

Also try a new set of plugs.

Also, you might have a Bad, Ignition Coil. After running the sea foam with all new gas, and get some running time, then Pull out the Plugs, and see what they look like. Post Pictures of the Plugs if you can, here on the site, ( close ups )

Also, completly Drain the Fuel Tank-- And drain the Carb Bowl, several times during a week, with Sea Foam in the Gas.

Edited by GeorgeS

i would send an e-mail to the bbb about your trouble with yamaha dealers and them not fixing it. i would still hound yamaha about having this problem before the warrenty ran out. if it winds up being some parts thats causing the problem, you maybe able to get re-imbursed for them from yamaha. on the other hand you can also use a bottle of techron found at any walmart stores to clean up the carbs. about half a bottle in and let sit overnight and then try to open it up and keep the revs up while riding to burnout the carbon buildup. good luck on you fix, don.

Sounds like bad gas has gummed up your carbs... I would try the seafoam 1st but that didn't do it on my Bro's RSV in FL... He just brought his to a dealer and they did a full diagnostic check on the bike for $98 then determined it was the carbs... They pulled the carbs and acid dipped them... changed the diaphrams, synced the carbs for a total of $550... My Bro says the bike never ran as good as it's running right now... But now it has so much power his clutch is slipping... It was propably slipping before he just didn't notice...

Let me do you a favor and just come get that bike out of your way...and you will not have to worry about it anymore.

It can't be much wrong with it. There is not that much to these bikes.

I will be more than willing to haul it off for you. :big-grin-emoticon: I know it is a long ways but I sacrafice.

Just let me know.

Was the gas tank ever replaced? New tanks normally are shipped with a coating on the inside to prevent rust. If it is not flushed out prior to use, the coating will gunk up the carbs.

Aside form that, I agree with the above suggestions of draining tank. If the dealers all did carb work, I would say there is some type of contaminent in the tank.

I know this will sound stupid, but are all the plug wires connected? I would guess yes since it runs good for a little bit after the dealers. But if a cyclinder is not firing, you are blowing gass out the exhaust.

Good luck and keep us all informed. SOMEBODY here knows the fix.

I know how frustrating intermittent problems can be. I had a 84 honda magna that had a problem with the spark control module. The bike ran great when first started but when it warmed up a little it would loose spark on two cylinders. It would run like a dog, of course, stalling and snorting. It sounded like the timing was way off. Usually it would begin to run just fine after it warmed up even more. I say all this to suggest maybe you have a similar problem.