IGNORED

Yamaha not helping with engine

1 - UP

Trikes and trailers don't void warranties, modifications to the engine or cooling system would though. Neither are considered misuse or abuse. If the motor is out of warranty that would be reason enough for Yamaha not to fix it but they have gone above and beyond in other cases, maybe they will come through here.

Do a search on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act. It basically says that aftermarket equipment does not void manufacturers warranty but the OEM will not cover aftermarket equipment. Maybe if you mention the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act the Yamaha rep will live up to their legal responsibility, under the law they have to prove not just say the failure was caused by any modifications. I would find a number for the Federal Trade Commission and make a complaint there.

I want to thank all of you that responded to my problem. I appreciate the questions that you asked of me. I inturned went to the dealer today and asked them the questions that you had posted.

I'm almost satisfied with Yamaha and what they are doing. I found out that all 4 pistons were scored, that the dealer is boring out all four cylinders and putting in oversize pistons.

I called the Yamaho dealer who put my trike kit on and talked to him about the Hannigan kit and whether or not they have had problems with the kit causing engine problems with the Yamaha. He told me no that they have not. He also rides a RSV with a Hannigan trike kit on it for a couple of years and has had no problems.

The belief is, that the oil was not getting into the cylinders in the proper amount. The cause of that is unknown. Every thing looked Ok. It might have been the type of oil that I was using. (Golden Spectro, sp, which is a blend)

Anyway, I'll pay the $$$$ and have my bike back in a couple of weeks. They have to wait for the pistons to get in to make sure they bore out the cylinders the right size.

Again Thanks for all the response, it's nice to belong to a large family like this to vent your problems to.

Ken,

I wouldn't just bore out the cylinders and pop in some new pistons without knowing what happened. If they can't find the problem then you'll be having the same troubles again.

I agree here, i'd buy a used Engine and be better and cheaper off .... There has tobe a Reason and until this is unknown, i'd be very reluctant to sink a Lot of Money into the Repair.

Or are you going to a big Bore Kit with 1500cc ??

If it were me I'd work a deal with Yammi on a new engine. The time/labor factor would be much less than a engine teardown and the scoot would be on the road much sooner.

Whatever caused the problem with the current engine has not been brought to light. Yammi could tear down and inspect that particular engine to see if there is something that could be problematic for all engines of that make.