IGNORED

Motorycycle oil study

WARider

This is an interesting study on motorcycle oils.

If this has been posted before, sorry, I couldn't find it anywhere.

Edited by V7Goose:

Man, I don't know what was wrong with that pdf file originally attachd here, but it stunk up several of my computers BAD (massive memory useage, huge page file, SLOW, etc.). So I deleted it and added an external link here:

http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/MC%20White%20paper-g2156.pdf

(If anyone has downloaded and saved the original file from this post, I suggest you delete it and save the one from the link. The file is twice as big, but it won't mess up your computer!)

Just read thru it all, very interesting !! Looks like the Mobil I I have been useing is just fine for my type of rideing, and temp ranges I mostly drive in.

However, looks like I will be Switching to the Amzoil. If I can find it.

At least if the price is on par with Mobil I.

Thanks again for the Info, I had not seen that report.

I did notice it was done by Amsoil. Thought the tests and results were kind of interesting though. I have worked for a few companies that have paid for testing on products to try to prove that our product was "better". In fear of being sued by the competition, usually what happens is if during testing, your product doesn't score well in an area or maybe even the whole thing, you just don't put it in the findings or in one case I was involved in, you don't publish anything, you go back and improve the product because it's not up to the competition. What I've found is if you look at the results in the study, they are usually fairly accurate or they would be an uproar from the competition. Not that I'd base my entire decision on a product by a study, but it does give a little insight.

Yes, that study has been around a while and MANY people never realize that Amsoil funded it. I think that Amsoil is a very good oil but not quiet as good as THEY think they are. I'll stick with my Mobil 1. :)

I agree with Freebird.....I have had Mobil 1 in both the 2002 Bonneville America and the 2006 RSV....NO Problem...Change them both our once a year....Oil and Filter...Also use the Mobil Filter...Oil is always clean...(NO GRIT) felt when I rub between my fingers....????

Just my input...

George In Virginia:think:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Motorcycle_Oil_FAQs.aspx#FAQs3

here is a write-up on mobil 1 oil for motorcycles by mobil but not compared to anybody's oil. i have been using it since about 4,000 miles, about 18,000 i tried shell rotella syn but the bike didn't do as good as the mobil 1, so i went back to mobil and now have 65,000 miles on it now without any problem. star rider96 has about 155,000 miles on his 96 with no problems at all. i guess i'll stick with a proven thing!! some of my friends have starting the 4t racing oil in their bike and says it better than the mobil 1 syn. i might try it the next time and see how it does. auto zone has it but it's off to the side of the car oil, need to ask for it.

However with all the technical talk, and testing, of modern oil.

I can't help ref: back to the New Car I bought back in 1975. A German Opel.

I ran that car to about 125,000 miles. The Clutch wore out. My fault I guess.

I had the Engine pulled to change the clutch. I told the guy might as well tear down the engine as long as it was out, as the car was only 3 years old.

I had used nothing but good old Valvoline 10W-30W, petrolium Oil.

He mic'ed out the engine, ( complete tear down ) it was still well within Spec's.

He Honed the Cylinders, and put it all back together, and 50K later when the body rusted out, the Engine was still going strong.

But, it was a " German " built engine. :think:

However with all the technical talk, and testing, of modern oil.

I can't help ref: back to the New Car I bought back in 1975. A German Opel.

I ran that car to about 125,000 miles. The Clutch wore out. My fault I guess.

I had the Engine pulled to change the clutch. I told the guy might as well tear down the engine as long as it was out, as the car was only 3 years old.

I had used nothing but good old Valvoline 10W-30W, petrolium Oil.

He mic'ed out the engine, ( complete tear down ) it was still well within Spec's.

He Honed the Cylinders, and put it all back together, and 50K later when the body rusted out, the Engine was still going strong.

But, it was a " German " built engine. :think:

George, my Automobile Career started up with Opel's, a Lot of them and i can tell you those Engines were Bullet proof, just like our V4's. I ran the Heck out of them and much more but never got one ruined. 4 or 6 Cylinders didn't matter. The only Motor i lost was an used 1.9 Liter, 90 hp in my first '69 Opel GT(poor Man's Corvette). I replaced the original Motor due to frozen Water Damage and this Engine from the Garbage lasted only 3 Months. I put another one from The Garbage in and sold the Car 30,000 mls later, still going very strong.

Last year I switched to using the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w40 Synthetic. The scoot loves it. Startups are a snap especially in cold weather; the "whine" is almost non-existent; and shifting is smooth as silk.

The 4T is on the costly side though at $12 per quart. IMHO my bike is worth it. To each his own I say. My oil and filter get changed every 5K....period.

I order my oil from this outfit which offers fast free shipping:http://www.eliteetc.com/index.html

Yes, the Mobil 1 4T racing is what I've used in mine since 1999 at 2,000 miles. It's all I've ever used and I have no plans to swap. I use it in my mowers too. Seeing as I always have about a half quart remaining, I just save it and use it when I change the oil in my mowers. I usually get mine at Autozone but some Walmarts now carry it also. I've found the price to be about the same at both places though.

In my wife's Sorrento, I also use Mobil 1. I've just used it for many years and am very pleased with it.

I ran mahself ragged trying to find the Mobil 1 4T oil here.

The Elite Site I posted has been super fast on shipping my oil to me. I buy 1 case at a time=6 quarts.

Note: I add 2 ounces of SeaFoam to the oil as I am warming the bike up for a oil change. I also use a small block of 2x4 wood to get the scoot upright when I am draining the oil....that really helps to get ALL of the old oil out of the oil pan.

Squeez !! Yes, those Opel 4 bangers, I also found out about 10 years ago, that those engines are used in many small Farm Impelments here in the U.S.

Very tuff operating conditions, where they are usually run at full Throttle Constantly. Was talking with a farmer about those engines. He told me the Equipment was usually worn out long before the engines.

I loved that 75 Opel. A very simple car. but it was great to drive. However the body Rusted Out due to Road salt in the State of Minnesota. I gave the car to my son with about 155,000 on it, and he ran it to about 185,000. By then the Body was so rusted, he sold it to sombody here in Seattle, the guy just wanted the Engine for his Poor Mans Corvett.

That engine might still be on the road somplace. !! Who knows.

Yes, that study has been around a while and MANY people never realize that Amsoil funded it. I think that Amsoil is a very good oil but not quiet as good as THEY think they are. I'll stick with my Mobil 1. :)
i agree, amsoil buys their base stock pao from exxon mobil. i just don't like their sales technic. to much like fuller brush and amway. i would'nt think mobil lacks on the latest and best oil technology. mobil1 for me. :2133:

Hey all, the original PDF file of that report attached to the first post had some sort of nasty problem that caused massive memory and page file use. I edited the post and replaced the attached file with an external link (same one below), so if you want to reference or save that document, use the new link:

http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/MC%20White%20paper-g2156.pdf

Goose

From my experience...

We race and raced Motocross for many years. Back in the 2 stroke days, we settled on Amsoil synthetic mix for the main reason, you would never (yes I said never) foul a plug. Nothing more aggrevating that get to the starting line only to have the bike not start due to a fouled plug. We kept hour meters on our bikes so we could keep up with the maintenance and top end life. After using Amsoil we doubled the life of the top ends. WE were amazed at this. Then we moved to the 4 stroke bikes. YZ250F in 06. Since we had such good luck with Amsoil on the two strokes...we decided Amsoil would probably be great in the 4 strokes. IT seemed to do just fine. I got over 100 hours racing out of a top end. Piston was still in good shape but the ring grooves were wearing a little. We now have an 07 that is still running strong with amsoil. A buddy of mine had a 07 with about 10 hours on it. His 17 yearold boy changed the oil but forgot to put the oil back in it. He ran it on the track for almost 1/2 hour, running hard, jumping jumps, till it started making a noise. Then they discovered it had no oil in it. I thought it was trashed, it sounding awful but would still run. I took it down to repair it for him. Found only a galded piston and cylinder. Cams, crank all with little or no wear. $200 and the bike was back togther and on the track.

I am not saying Mobil One would not do the same thing. They are both good oils but I just have had some good experiences with Amsoil products and know they hold up. You can see how I would be paritial to Amsoil. I am a perfered customer and order it directly from Amsoil for my own use. They do have some cheesy sales tacktics, kinda like Amway but it is a good product.

It is a preference thing...just like Ford, Chevy, or Dodge.

:witch_brew: