IGNORED

Not sure where to start.....

Good morning all,

I am having an issue with RPMs (I think). I was out riding around and everything seemed great and then I lost the "umph" from first gear. It acts like it wants to die at an idle and I basically have to wrap the throttle around just to get going at a normal pace. When it gets to just above 2000-2500 RPMs, it takes off and almost leaves me behind :missingtooth:. So far, I have replaced the plugs and am running Seafoam in the gas and the oil. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I should go next? :think:

Thank you,

Clay:bang head:

Sounds like carb problems the first thing I would do is drain the carbs catch the drained gas in a clear container so you can see whats in it. you can look in the intake and see if all the carb slides are moving. The seafoam may help and may not. Don't run the seafoam in the oil very long. Did this just start or has it been sitting?

This just started a few days ago. I shut her down for a few minutes and when I restarted her, it all began......:fiddle:This is my first motorcycle, so I am not very savvy when it come to repairs on her. Do you know if the manual says how to drain the carbs? If so, then i will need to get my hands on one.

I was just reading the Owner's Manual in the tech libraray (not a whole lot going on at work) and I stumbled on to something. There was a statement in there that said that " poor acceleration may be caused by air in the Hydraulic clutch line" page 7-21. What are the possibilities that this could such a minor fix??:7_6_3[1]:(One day soon)

If you have air in the hydraulic clutch line, you will not get movement performance, but you will get high engine revs. Basically, your clutch will slip. This does not sound like the issue.

You need to get a service manual, not just the owner's manual.

Sounds like something in your carbs. Good luck.

RR

If you have air in the hydraulic clutch line, you will not get movement performance, but you will get high engine revs. Basically, your clutch will slip. This does not sound like the issue.

You need to get a service manual, not just the owner's manual.

Sounds like something in your carbs. Good luck.

RR

Sorry, if there is Air in Clutch Line, the Clutch won't disengage like it should, but no Slippage occurs.

I think the Fuel Jets in the Carb Bowl are clogged, especially the Pilot Circuit which are in charge at the RpM to 2.5 k are very tiny Holes and are easily plugged.

Sorry, if there is Air in Clutch Line, the Clutch won't disengage like it should, but no Slippage occurs.

I think the Fuel Jets in the Carb Bowl are clogged, especially the Pilot Circuit which are in charge at the RpM to 2.5 k are very tiny Holes and are easily plugged.

What would be your advice on cleaning these? I guess simply using Seafoam won't cut it. :think:

Ditto, on the carb draining, and also, completly Drain the Fuel Tank. Just remove the Hose at the Petcock. Drain fuel into a fuel can down to the Reserve Point.

You Might have Water In bottom of the Fuel Tank.

Then Switch to a Clear Glass Jug, drain the Last gallon into this so you can SEE, what comes out.

The Petcock projects into the Tank, and has Screen's on it. Its possible the Screens are plugged. This is easy to fix, if the problem. Remove two bolts, drop out the Petcock assembly, and replace the Screens.

Also, its Easy, to remove the Fuel Gauge, Sender Unit, from the top of tank, to see down into the tank to inspect tank condition.

Also, consider you might have a Plugged Fuel Filter. If you don't know how old the filter is, Replace it.

After everything is drained, start with another dose of Sea-Foam, and ALL New Fuel. Use about 3 gallons of gas, and 1/2 can sea-foam. Also 1/4 Can of HEET, to get rid of any Moisture in the system.

It could also be bad connections between the pickup coils and the TCI. This can have a similar effect. There is a connector under the LH side panel behind the hot vent, and another on the TCI itself underneath the battery. The first is very easy to access, the second not so much easy.

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

I think I spoke to soon...She just won't start this evening. She will turn and turn and turn but just wont start. She did back fire twice though and there was a puddle of fuel on the floor from what appeared to overflow tubes (3 little tubes hanging under bike). She ran great yesterday and today....nothing but a couple of backfires :bang head::puzzled:

PLEASE HELP!!!!

If fuel is running out of those 4 hoses, that run from top of each Carb, to the rear and down to front of rear wheel.

then, your Float Valves are Stuck in the open position.

Drain each bowl, and run Heavy dose of SEA-Foam. Say about 1/2 can for 2 gallons. Drain Carb bowl everyday for about a week, and SeaFoam might free up the Float Valves.

(( Maby ))

Did you DRAIN THE GAS TANK??? COMPLETLY !!!! ???

Sounds like you may have plugged the fuel line and \or flooded the carbs with dirt. Does the fuel pump click when you turn on the ignition? Drain the carbs to find out, in the process you will be cleaning thew bottom of the carb bowls somewhat and that won't hurt either. If the fuel pump clicks and then stops, you are getting fuel to the pump, now drain the carbs again to see if the pump got fuel to the carbs.

You may have a contaminated gas tank, and changing the fuel filter temporarily fixed it but now the new fuel filter may be just as plugged up, but go with the previous suggestion first. Just a thought, but it would not really explain your initial problem, just the starting problem...

I will double check the clicking of the fuel pump, but now that you mention it, I dont believe it was clicking like it normally would.....How exactly would one go about draining the carbs? Also, I have not drained the gas tank. I figured since it ran great with the new filter, I wouldn't need to (guess it was just hopeful thinking)

Thank you,

Clay

See attached picture, each carb has this screw, hold a container under the rubber line coming from that carb and then back out the screw. You may only need to back it out a little or a lot, for the crud in the bowl may plug the outlet. You can leave the pump running to try to flush each bowl as you go. If it stops running out the tube but there is still fuel in the bowl, try turning the screw back in and then out again.

I thank you all for your help again, it just seems like if it isnt one thing it is another:fiddle:. I have got her running once again. It turns out, with a new fuel filter, you don't need the petcock open all of the way. I closed the petcock and she started right up. When she died due to lack of fuel, I reopened the petcock about half way or a little less. Now she is running good again. A little low on the idle speed though and a little rich. I can smell the excess fuel and she idles just above chugging. I was thinking maybe I need to open the petcock a little more, but I can smell unburnt fuel in the exhaust.:think: Any ideas?:puzzled:

Thanks,

83VR3711