IGNORED

"Harley" Style Rocker Switches

SilvrT

So, it's Saturday, it's raining/snowing, I have nothing to do. Have my fairing split to install an extension to the Aux Audio line coz I removed the cassette and I was thinking about auxilliary power switches for things like driving lamps or whatever. Remembered seeing others with those chrome 3 switch boxes on top of the front brake reservoir (I like those) and also remembered the nice rocker switches below the gauges on the Harley Ultra so, I started fabricating and came up with the following....

First pic is the Factory "bare bones" cruise switch.

Second 2 pics are the completed result.

Rest of the pics are in order of build process.

I had some flat 1/8 thick (appx) 2" wide aluminum that I'd used for something or another.

I cut a piece 6" long. Used a cardboard template to determine the appx cutout below the cruise switch. Made the cut and then realized I needed tabs to mount it. Was going to use some angle brackets but decided it would be easier and cleaner to bend the existing aluminum so I had to re-cut (hence the "fixed up" pic). Also realized that the original size (using angle brackets) would hit somewhere near the ignition switch when the wheel was turned to pin.

Made the bend and checked for positioning. Cut the holes for the switches ( appx 5/8 by 1 & 1/8 based on the rocker switch I used). I drilled a hole big enuf to get a jigsaw blade in and then cut to appx size with that...then used a file to finish off, checking often to get it just right so that the switch would pop in (forgot to take pics of the switches but I used the kind that have little "pressure tangs" on the back)

I drilled 4 holes for mounting screws and used some short sheet metal screws and screwed them right into the plastic. I drilled small pilot holes first.

After all the cutting, filing, and checking for fit was done, I smoothed all the edges, roughed up the surfaces, cleaned it with thinners and painted the bracket with a "textured metallic" paint (black of course). I toyed with the idea of smoothing and polishing the aluminum but I felt it would not blend with the overall look.

Rocker switches mounted....not yet connected to anything but hey... one day they will be!

Guest tx2sturgis

Rocker switches mounted....not yet connected to anything but hey... one day they will be!

How about one switch for the AC and the other for the retractable sun roof?

:hihi:

Actually, it looks pretty good. I'd be painting it black to match tho. What are ya gonna put in the cassette opening?

hey Rick, looks good! Arent ya glad its raining and snowing so you have time to work on your bike? :cool10::cool10:

Brian

heh... Brian... the way it's snowing and raining here, I will have to dream up things to do coz there won't be anything to do otherwise coz I've already done them coz I have so much time to.....

:rotf:

So, it's Saturday, it's raining/snowing, I have nothing to do. Have my fairing split to install an extension to the Aux Audio line coz I removed the cassette and I was thinking about auxilliary power switches for things like driving lamps or whatever. Remembered seeing others with those chrome 3 switch boxes on top of the front brake reservoir (I like those) and also remembered the nice rocker switches below the gauges on the Harley Ultra so, I started fabricating and came up with the following....

I had some flat 1/8 thick (appx) 2" wide aluminum that I'd used for something or another.

I cut a piece 6" long. Used a cardboard template to determine the appx cutout below the cruise switch. Made the cut and then realized I needed tabs to mount it. Was going to use some angle brackets but decided it would be easier and cleaner to bend the existing aluminum so I had to re-cut (hence the "fixed up" pic). Also realized that the original size (using angle brackets) would hit somewhere near the ignition switch when the wheel was turned to pin.

Made the bend and checked for positioning. Cut the holes for the switches ( appx 5/8 by 1 & 1/8 based on the rocker switch I used). I drilled a hole big enuf to get a jigsaw blade in and then cut to appx size with that...then used a file to finish off, checking often to get it just right so that the switch would pop in (forgot to take pics of the switches but I used the kind that have little "pressure tangs" on the back)

I drilled 4 holes for mounting screws and used some short sheet metal screws and screwed them right into the plastic. I drilled small pilot holes first.

After all the cutting, filing, and checking for fit was done, I smoothed all the edges, roughed up the surfaces, cleaned it with thinners and painted the bracket with a "textured metallic" paint (black of course). I toyed with the idea of smoothing and polishing the aluminum but I felt it would not blend with the overall look.

It's snowing here...big time snow...almost snowmageddon.....and I slept, then ma nature decided for me I couldn't attend the Michigan M/E, then I slept some more....and some more, and then went to bed.

See what the difference is between sleeping and toying with the bike?? GREAT IDEA, and looks great as well. When does mass production start, I'll be the first to order!

randy

Very cool idea Rick....and I'm gonna tell you that I will steal your idea and make one for myself

:thumbsup2:

Exactly the reason I posted this thread...so ya'll could steal my idea and make one too! Having said that, whoever does make one...yanno the rules!! ( pics )

:D

It's snowing here...big time snow...almost snowmageddon.....and I slept, then ma nature decided for me I couldn't attend the Michigan M/E, then I slept some more....and some more, and then went to bed.

See what the difference is between sleeping and toying with the bike?? GREAT IDEA, and looks great as well. When does mass production start, I'll be the first to order!

randy

heh.. considering it took me most of the afternoon, 3 beers and 2 rum & cokes, .... I don't think mass production will happen anytime soon!

:sign20:

I like it. I was thinking of building a similar bracket but for a couple of small gauges. The problem is, I've not been about to find any really small gauges that will fit there .... at least none that are affordable.

The idea of using the opening where the cassette was would be a good place to mount some gauges. A guy could make a nice faceplate that either fits the opening or overlaps, painting it to match the dash of course.

Do you have a drawing? preferably with the switch holes and mounting holes. I may be able to have one laser cut at work. If that works then I may be able to have them cut in quantity if there is a need.

I would like to cut one as a proto type and go from there.

If you can send me a drawing I will get started.

The following would be helpful

Type of material:

Thickness:

Angle of the bend

Brand of switch and P/N

contact me a steve_stelter@yahoo.com

Steve

aka Bubber

Do you have a drawing? preferably with the switch holes and mounting holes. I may be able to have one laser cut at work. If that works then I may be able to have them cut in quantity if there is a need.

I would like to cut one as a proto type and go from there.

If you can send me a drawing I will get started.

The following would be helpful

Type of material:

Thickness:

Angle of the bend

Brand of switch and P/N

contact me a steve_stelter@yahoo.com

Steve

aka Bubber

I'll work on getting this info for you...

Those just might work. I would prefer that they just be rectangular but those might do. You would only be able to fit two of them though. One on each side of the cruise switch. What two would be most popular I wonder? I think for me, I would probably go with the voltmeter and the water temperature.

Well it's been a few days..or maybe weeks I can't remember (LOL) since I built the bracket and installed the switches...(guess I could look at the date on my original post now couldn't I?) but just now getting around to hooking them up to something. Got these little lights at Wal-Mart for $39. Built a couple brackets outta some left-over aluminum, bought a Bosch relay and wired em up to my aux fuse box that I installed using info from this site. Gotta tell ya... all the "how-to's" in here just FORCE a person to do things to his scoot!! LOL