IGNORED

Zumo and XM

Freebird

OK....this new Zumo 550 has really complicated my life. :) It has caused me to have to make more decisions and I'm tired of making decisions.

So here is the latest dilemma. I presently have a Sirius radio. I actually have three of them. One in the house, one in my wife's car and one that I move back and forth between the bike and my work car. It makes no sense to me to pay for a fourth subscription to have different ones on the bike and my work car as I only use one of them at a time.

I like the idea though of having the GPS, MP3 and Satellite radio in one unit and therefore not having my IPOD, Sirius AND the GPS until all cluttering up my handlebars.

I've already found out that even though Sirius and XM are now the same company, they will not let you add an XM subscription to your Sirius account and therefore get it at the reduced rate. So...I would have to get a new XM account to use the XM for the Garmin. Then I would want to cancel the Sirius account for my car/bike but then would not have a unit for my work car.

So..after all this...I guess my question is has anybody tried using the Zumo with the XM receiver in a car? Will the antenna pick up the stations if it is on the dash or somewhere in the car?

This is ALL so dang confusing. :confused24:

I do. It works in the car also. The gxm-30 will also give you traffic and weather. So you get traffic,weather and XM for about 12 a month. I have the same problem as you. I have 3 xm's and one sirius. I would not trade the GXM-30 for anything though. It will alert you to a traffic jam and ask if you would like to be go around it. Also gives you severe weather warnings.

I currently have a Sirus radio on my RSV. Can't stand it though, the only way to listen to it is via the FM transmitter in it and that SUCKS. I would say that about 70% of the time I either get no signal from the sat, or the radio interference is so bad that I can hardly hear it. Really crummy equipment in my opinion. I had an XM Roady 2 on my bike and never had a problem with it until the power connection internally broke. For some reason I can't use an audio splitter with the Zumo and Sirius the Zumo loads the line down and I can barely hear the Sirius radio.

I heard that Sirius had the better programing and that XM had better equipment, well IMO the latter is the only true part of that statement. Although I liked what Sirius had to offer I don't honestly think it's much if any better than XM.

Since the programing is essentially the same and the only real reason I went to Sirius was for the NASCAR channel and I can now get that on XM, I'm gonna turn tail and run back home.

I have ordered a GXM-30 and it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I can't wait. I will cancel the Sirius in a heartbeat as soon as I get that GXM-30 in. You can get them on Ebay for $150.00 delivered new or refurbished for $100.00 delivered.

Way better than the $200.00 plus that they were a year ago.

I agree that the XM is better equipment. BUT....none of that helps me in using the unit back and forth between my car and bike. I hate paying for two subscriptions when I just use one of those at a time.

You can buy suction mounts for the GXM-30 that you can move between the bike and car, you already have the car mount for the Zumo. That is what I intend to do.

I also use an aftermarket fm transmitter/modulator and listen to it through the radio. I have an older car and it does not have an audio in that most of the newer radios have. If that is the case then use the line out on the Zumo car mount.

Beer30's GXM-30 will receive inside of his garage so I'm confident it will receive on a windshield mount. (saw some on ebay)

Edited by SaltyDawg

I have it Don.

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/marinerfan/default/Garmin_008--large-msg-122088667708.jpg

Performance is top notch. The reception used to cut out on the Delphi unit that I used before but not on this Garmin.

Trouble is, that it plugs into the cradle and that stays with the bike. I use the car adaptor when I use it in the car (natch!).

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/marinerfan/default/Garmin_005--large-msg-122088668443.jpg

The bike mount has a rubber cover over it and a couple of small screws holding it in place if I rememeber right. The bike mount and the car mount both use the USB type connector. So you can move you XM radio between them. I use Velcro because the magnet on the GXM-30 ain't very strong. Garmin is now showing a GXM-40 that is suppose to be smaller. The 30 is a little bigger than a 16 ft carpenters tape.

I use the GMX-30 in truck and scoot . It's sometimes a PITA to have to switch over to one set of wheels to another , but hey , I can do it !

I have no problem listening to XM in the garage with door shut , sometimes have some issues under the awning at the gas pumps if it is congested . I throw the ole hockey puck on the dash in my truck with hardly any issues unless I am heading NE and in congested areas .

I did get an ext. cable for the cage , wire it up so the puck will be on top of the cab , not on the dash . Just haven't gotten off my lazy AZZ to do it yet . My truck has Sinus and I let my so-called free trial subscription expire . I called both Sinus and XM , being one company to see if I could piggyback one subscription off another .They said later on in the year , it may be so , but not now and no further info. has been released to the index card readers in customer support ! I'm not going to pay for another full subscription for Sinus , so I will wait . However I did get the Best of Sinus and it has NASCAR . If I can only control myself while listening to the PlayBoy channels .......Whoa Nelly ......Whoa !

Coming back from last weekend M & E , Salty and I sat side by side at a red light , both Sinus and XM playing same tunes on same Channel 7 . Only the commercials breaks , channel identifiacations are different .

Don , Just DO IT !

BEER30

And I thought we were paying for no commercals. Whats next, commercial breaks on HBO too :headache:

Some channels are simulcast of TV programs , such as FOX , CNN , and talk shows etc . All channels have station identification breaks . I even heard the other day ...This is a Test , A Test from the National Emergency Broadcast System , If this was an Actual Emergency , This Station would direct you to your nearest Dairy Queen , .......But this was only a Test ! :95:

BEER30

And I thought we were paying for no commercals. Whats next, commercial breaks on HBO too :headache:

As Beer30 said some stations do have commercials. About 95% of the "music" stations are commercial free, but some have guest DJ's at times.

The comedy channels, sports, and other talk stations will have commercials from time to time but it is still less than 25% or less of what an over the air radio station will and you don't get the DJ who love to hear themselves talk.

OK....this new Zumo 550 has really complicated my life. :) It has caused me to have to make more decisions and I'm tired of making decisions.

So here is the latest dilemma. I presently have a Sirius radio. I actually have three of them. One in the house, one in my wife's car and one that I move back and forth between the bike and my work car. It makes no sense to me to pay for a fourth subscription to have different ones on the bike and my work car as I only use one of them at a time.

I like the idea though of having the GPS, MP3 and Satellite radio in one unit and therefore not having my IPOD, Sirius AND the GPS until all cluttering up my handlebars.

I've already found out that even though Sirius and XM are now the same company, they will not let you add an XM subscription to your Sirius account and therefore get it at the reduced rate. So...I would have to get a new XM account to use the XM for the Garmin. Then I would want to cancel the Sirius account for my car/bike but then would not have a unit for my work car.

So..after all this...I guess my question is has anybody tried using the Zumo with the XM receiver in a car? Will the antenna pick up the stations if it is on the dash or somewhere in the car?

This is ALL so dang confusing. :confused24:

Not to mention they are pretty proud of that antennae/receiver for the Zumo $$$$:mo money::mo money::mo money:

Not to mention they are pretty proud of that antennae/receiver for the Zumo $$$$:mo money::mo money::mo money:

Yeah, I was all set to get the Zumo until I saw the price of the antenna :no-no-no: So, now I have my Nuvi 650 wid screen - $189 and XM radio EZ Express - $39. I have two dock and two antennas so I just undock both and move them to my SUV. I don't go anywhere without both.

There really is only one answer and it makes perfect sense to me and a lot of others.

Cancel all subscriptions and junk all that electronic stuff. Results:? Save a pile of money on subscriptions, increased fuel mileage so you can go longer on a tank full, peace and quiet when you ride, time to think for yourself, and when you get back from the ride you'll be better equipped to handle all that gets thrown at you. Also, you get to make your own decisions, get lost once in a while and so discover new territory and meet new people, be able to dream what it would be like to live in a perfect world, get caught in a traffic jam and so meet someone new who is also caught in the same predicament, and let yourself be guided by an inner voice that make good sense rather than by someone else who always thinks that their way is better, faster, more efficient, more economical, prettier, useful, safer, sexier, more colorful, quieter, noisier, more down to earth, more hip, healthier, thinner, sportier, and the list goes on and on and on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

There really is only one answer and it makes perfect sense to me and a lot of others.

Cancel all subscriptions and junk all that electronic stuff. Results:? Save a pile of money on subscriptions, increased fuel mileage so you can go longer on a tank full, peace and quiet when you ride, time to think for yourself, and when you get back from the ride you'll be better equipped to handle all that gets thrown at you. Also, you get to make your own decisions, get lost once in a while and so discover new territory and meet new people, be able to dream what it would be like to live in a perfect world, get caught in a traffic jam and so meet someone new who is also caught in the same predicament, and let yourself be guided by an inner voice that make good sense rather than by someone else who always thinks that their way is better, faster, more efficient, more economical, prettier, useful, safer, sexier, more colorful, quieter, noisier, more down to earth, more hip, healthier, thinner, sportier, and the list goes on and on and on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I had to stop listening to my inner voice :confused24:, I was getting in WAY TOO MUCH TROUBLE!:rotf:

Considering that this puck sized device is the receiver , antenna , WX receiver , NAV receiver all in one . This device is built pretty darn sturdy being weather-proof and shock-proof . It get's better reception than any other Sinus/XM antenna that I have seen . My magnetic mount secures very well , despite others . But I still use velcro as to where I mount my puck on the scoot . Since I started riding with this group , I was against paying for tunes . Seeing members spending more money replacing sat radios and antennas due to being rained on or not receiving well . I've had my Zumo since they were introduced and not long afterwards got the GXM-30 . Only had to spend my $$ once . The Zumo itself is only XM compatible .

BEER30

The Zumo XM units are too expensive. I'm very likely going to buy one of the refurbished units off Ebay. They are about $95.00 including shipping and a one year warranty.

I'll let you know what they are like. One of those refurbished ones should be getting delivered today. They are quick on the shipping. I ordered it on Wednesday and it shipped from CA that day.