IGNORED

Zumo and XM

Freebird

What is the weather that you get on the Zumo?

Is it the radar overlay map? I am planning on getting a Zumo, but would like to get the radar weather map, like my buddie gets on his phone. I don't want to pay for it on the phone, and buy a new phone, but if it would display on the Zumo, it would be worth the money.

(Not to highjack the thread) but, does the Mic- mute interfere with Zumo in any way?

The Zumo XM units are too expensive. I'm very likely going to buy one of the refurbished units off Ebay. They are about $95.00 including shipping and a one year warranty.

I've been using a refurbished unit for almost a year now... so far so good no problem.

What is the weather that you get on the Zumo?

Is it the radar overlay map? I am planning on getting a Zumo, but would like to get the radar weather map, like my buddie gets on his phone. I don't want to pay for it on the phone, and buy a new phone, but if it would display on the Zumo, it would be worth the money.

(Not to highjack the thread) but, does the Mic- mute interfere with Zumo in any way?

Depends on what you are willing to pay. There are packages that start at $3.99 a month and go all the way up to $99.00 a month if you get the XM audio subscription. I know the high end one does have radar but you can get that on the phone much cheaper.

The basic on give you current time/temp/condition plus a 5 day forecast for your location or any city within the US. At least that is what I have read.

I have the WX , search over in special services for weather over on XM's sight on the marine side to get details . Mine cost $9.95 a month . To describe it , it's merely weather related icons over your map . Tap on the screen over the top of one to align the arrow over the icon that your interested in on the WX map mode . A tag will appear and then click "more" to get better details and 5 day forecast . Now , you can also pan your map to a destination you are heading too and do the same as decribed above .

You will also get Severe weather warnings . As a warning prompts you on your main screen , you may select "accept" or "ignore" these warnings . If you accept the warning , click on it and another screen will appear . Most the time , there is no warning for your county you are in (they go by county) and will say "no data" . So to see where the actual warning is , click on the XM icon on "Where To/Map" screen on bottom , then XM , then Weather . Pan the map until you see the purple highlighted county . Pan by tapping your arrow over the highlighted area and a tag will appear , once again click 'More Details ".

I use the weather all the time and for me it's worth it . As I listen to XM and unlike local stations whom seldom sometimes give a weather report , it really comes in handy ! Also the WX updated itself , I beleive every 15 minutes . So don't have a hairy-hole if you do not see WX uploaded as soon as you turn the Zumo on ! It will take some time before it appears .

BEER30

you all zumo 550 owners are going to hate this buuuuut , you need to check out the new zumo 660 , the lane change thingy is pretty cool , do's a little bit more than the 550 plus garman's base price is lower . i keep reading about the 550 here and yu'all talked me into maybe getting one with XM , so i go looking for more info , even had the plastic out , went to the garmin site and found the 660 so i am going to sit back just a little longer , by the way is there a gps with xm built in ?

Thom

Yea, when I first saw the post about the 660, I briefly considered returning my 550 and waiting on it. Then I saw though that though it has a few new features, it is also missing a few that the 550 has...like the XM radio. I'm going to keep what I have.

I was looking at one of my bike mags lastnight and they have a new one that harley have been working with that you can only get at the harley store for now that looked really cool and it has all left hand controls and made so you can wear gloves from what I read. Didnt give a price but I am willing to bet that harley embelm on it just bumbed up the price another hundred or more.

My 550 does tell me to turn right but keep left if theres 2 lanes and it wants me in the left lane because of an upcoming turn. Which is about the same thing, its just not telling me to get in lane 2 or 4 or what ever. But looking at the map pretty much shows exactly what you should be doing

so the 550 do's have the xm already in it ? and with the 660 coming out hopefully the price will drop . hope , hope , and more hopin .

i have a 100 nuvi and unless you have a dual sport don't buy one because if you click it on the the shortest way , you gonna be ridin dirt roads , for some reason the 100 nuvi lovs dirt roads or could it be it hates me ? :confused24: