IGNORED

We are getting a new Puppy

Mariner Fan

Hi all,

Well, it's been almost a year since we put down our dog Molly. :(

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/38/79980546_c3a0b6305c.jpg

She was a Weimaraner / Lab mix and was the best dog in the world.

She lived to be 14 years old.

It was the toughest thing in the world to take her on her "last ride"

and we kinda decided to not have dogs anymore.

Ruth has been watching the Weimaraner rescue site and found a dog

that was pregnant with Weimaraner / Lab mix. We applied for one of

the pups and after an application and a home interview we were selected

to get one of these pups!

They will be available at the end of January. We will get to see them at

a meet and greet on January 18th in Lansing Michigan.

Just wanted to share with you and show the pictures from their blog.

Bob and Ruth

http://zoeyandherchocolatetreats.blogspot.com/

Those should be great dogs!

A warning though: Last month we got a lab mix (allegedly mostly lab) puppy to replace the lab we had to say goodbye to two years ago. We're finding puppies are A LOT busier than we rememberd!

I am 43 and had never had a dog in my life. Two years ago there was an old Black Lab that was a stray running the neighborhood and eating out of trash cans for like 5-6 months and she was scared of everone and wouldn't let you no where near her. My wife felt sorry for her and started feeding her, something that i was at first strongly against and then cold weather started rolling in and my wife come to me crying (thinking i would say no way) and ask if we could get the dog a dog house and put some straw in it, and of course i couldn't say no but told her "ok but remember....THIS IS NOT OUR DOG"

I could tell she was a good natured dog but she was just terrified of people. To make a very long story short, we had been trying to catch her in the dog house and trap her because my wife wanted the dog really bad but i could never catch her in the dog house sleeping or whatever. On Christmas Day 2 years ago it was raining very very hard and i told her if there was ever a day that the dog would be in there it would be today and i was right and we caught her.

She is the best dog anyone could ever ask for and has been the best Christmas present ever. We love her and she loves us. I first told my wife that the dog would have to stay outside chained up and now she she lays around on the couch lol. After having her we have made our mind up that if we ever get another dog that we will go to the pound and look for an older Lab that needs a good home, that way we save a dogs life and don't have to deal with the puppy stage.

There is so much more to tell you about this story but i wont bore you with it now. She has been a blessing to us though and i can't wait to get home every day from work and see her. The Vet said she is 10-13 years old right now. She is still as playful as a puppy (except for some hip issues) but i know that there's no way she can live much longer and i tell ya, it's going to be a sad sad day when her time comes for us.

Congrats on your new dog and your old one was a great looking dog too! It's too bad they can't live forever.

I kind of hi-jacked your thread Mariner Fan and i certainly didn't mean to do that so sorry about that. I just seen the picture of your dog and it looks just like ours with all the gray hair and stuff and it got me rambling and i couldn't stop. It had to be absolutely heart breaking taking that dog to the Vet and having her put to sleep. Puts a lump in my throat just thinking about it.

. The Vet said she is 10-13 years old right now. She is still as playful as a puppy (except for some hip issues) but i know that there's no way she can live much longer and i tell ya, it's going to be a sad sad day when her time comes for us.

whodey,

try a product called joint max for her hips. The wife and I were considreing putting our sheperd/chow mix down for hip problems and the vet suggested this. 3 years later she chases the puppy aroound the yard.

David:337:

Sorry to hear about having to pu your dog down. But glad to hear about the mew one on the way. Good luck

. The Vet said she is 10-13 years old right now. She is still as playful as a puppy (except for some hip issues) but i know that there's no way she can live much longer and i tell ya, it's going to be a sad sad day when her time comes for us.

whodey,

try a product called joint max for her hips. The wife and I were considreing putting our sheperd/chow mix down for hip problems and the vet suggested this. 3 years later she chases the puppy aroound the yard.

David:337:

Sorry to hear about having to pu your dog down. But glad to hear about the mew one on the way. Good luck

Where do you get Joint Max at, just any store or is it for pets only? We do give her Glucosamine once a day and it has definitely helped. I just ran out and was fixing to go get more but i may try the Joint Max next.

She yelps occasionally when she gets up and she limps sometimes also but all in all she's doing pretty good. There was one time that i was letting her out to pee and she walked out of the house and literally collapsed on the front porch and was just screaming in pain and i swear she layed there for probably 1-2 minutes just screaming in pain. It was strange, i actually thought that she was choking on something the way it sounded. I thought to myself "this dog is dying right here in front of me" and i just got down on the ground with her and held her thinking it was the end for her. She finally got up and was limping real bad, the vet said it was probably her hips. That scared the heck out of me!

Congrats, I waited 2 years after my first Bouvier, Dutch, had to be put down, do to cancer. He was 9 years old. Those 2 years were a waste of time with no dog. After I got Bart My dog now. I realized that. I just love dogs so much, they are truly mans best friend. Heres a pic of good old Dutch

Congrats on the soon to be addition. You won't regret it. We went a few years without one, not wanting the heartache of losing a loved one again. Eventually broke down and got a little one for the lap. She now has us well trained!

Impromptu trips are sometimes hard to do...we either don't go far or have to take her to one of the kid's houses to babysit. Course the grandkids love that! But will never ever regret getting another one.

Be sure to post pictures of the new baby when he / she arrives. Oh yeah...hope you got lots of money...gee they cost so much more nowadays!!

Where do you get Joint Max at, just any store or is it for pets only? We do give her Glucosamine once a day and it has definitely helped. I just ran out and was fixing to go get more but i may try the Joint Max next.

She yelps occasionally when she gets up and she limps sometimes also but all in all she's doing pretty good. There was one time that i was letting her out to pee and she walked out of the house and literally collapsed on the front porch and was just screaming in pain and i swear she layed there for probably 1-2 minutes just screaming in pain. It was strange, i actually thought that she was choking on something the way it sounded. I thought to myself "this dog is dying right here in front of me" and i just got down on the ground with her and held her thinking it was the end for her. She finally got up and was limping real bad, the vet said it was probably her hips. That scared the heck out of me!

entirelypets.com carries it or you can get it on ebay. We use the granulated formula and put it over her food. Good luck.

David

I posted back when Molley was gone and encouraged you to get another when the TIME WAS RIGHT. Looks like GOD said it is time. Remember their will never be another Molley but you can name your new dog with a "M" in the beginning like "Master" or "Misty" Ect...

Happy 4 U

:banana:

• 4 weeks later...
I got a new pup for Xmas and just started doing some research on dog food types. I was shocked what I read about what I was feeding her. Have a look at this site....it gives you a rating on various foods...its an independent site with lots of info.

Keith

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

Thanks for the link Keith. Is your pup running you ragged? :rotf:

Running me ragged is an understatement !! Not all her fault I guess........I'm home all day so without anyone else to torment she gets her share. Now if I could only get her to aim for the training pad a little better I'd be happy !!!

Lots of fun ....my first dog in 35 years....wish I had done it earlier!

Keith

Nice puppy. He looks a lot like our. I posted a picture when we first got him

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30528&highlight=dkknight

His Dad is a choclate lab and his mom is a "silver" lab. There is some controversy over where these "silver" labs are getting their silvery tint. Some say someone slipped a Weimaraner in the mix, others say it genetics. I don't care. He's a good dog. And if he does have some Weimaraner too, it sounds like it's a good mix with the Lab.

Nice puppy. He looks a lot like our. I posted a picture when we first got him

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30528&highlight=dkknight

His Dad is a choclate lab and his mom is a "silver" lab. There is some controversy over where these "silver" labs are getting their silvery tint. Some say someone slipped a Weimaraner in the mix, others say it genetics. I don't care. He's a good dog. And if he does have some Weimaraner too, it sounds like it's a good mix with the Lab.

Wow, they really do look alike! :)