IGNORED

If I did it again I would definitely.........

birin

I am mapping out a long distance trip for next summer - something I have not yet done with the 05 Midnight as yet.

I have done all the bike service and added the new tires, bought some good sun glasses and...............

It seems to me however - many of you have done this long distance riding thing already- so I was wondering if all you long trip experienced riders might help a newbie in this area.

If there were one or two things you would do differently, or one of two things you would have taken along or adjusted or whatever - that would have made the long distance ride more enjoyable (safer, more relaxing etc)

...what would those one or two things be???

I am mapping out a long distance trip for next summer - something I have not yet done with the 05 Midnight as yet.

I have done all the bike service and added the new tires, bought some good sun glasses and...............

It seems to me however - many of you have done this long distance riding thing already- so I was wondering if all you long trip experienced riders might help a newbie in this area.

If there were one or two things you would do differently, or one of two things you would have taken along or adjusted or whatever - that would have made the long distance ride more enjoyable (safer, more relaxing etc)

I would hafta say spend 150 bucks or so and get a Garmin GPS as it is so much easier than pulling over every once in a while to try and look at a map. Especially when going through cities it will route you so you dont have to look away from the road, just listen for the directions through your sound system.

You dont necessarily need to spend a lot of money to get a basic GPS that will get you where you want to go with sound but if you want extras like bluetooth and mp3 player they cost extra big time.

Brian

Handiwipes, travel size toilet paper, aspirin. Depending on whether you are camping and the overnight temperatures a single burner camp stove to heat up some tea or soup to get your core body temperature warmed up can be very nice. Rain gear, a couple different weights of riding gloves. If you don't have a drink holder consider a Camelback to keep you hydrated while riding. Lycra long johns. Mag light flashlight. Ziplock bags for the small stuff, other bags to compress to get your packing tight.

In no particular order - other than the order I think of the items.

1) GPS - Garmin Zumo 550 if you can afford it. Other GPS if you can't

2) GOOD rain suit.

3) Make sure your helmet is comfortable. AND ALWAYS WEAR IT.

4) Ear plugs

5) Sheepskin

6) Tire repair kit and cheap air compressor (about $20 at Walmart)

7) Note pad and pen to take notes about where you have been.

8) Owners manual - it has info for tire sizes, filters p/ns, bulb replacements.

9) VentureRider membership list with phone numbers in the states you are travelling thru.

10) Layers of clothes - you never know how cold it can get even in summer.

11) Call your credit card co. before you leave and let them know you are travelling for X days. Otherwise, they may cut off the card when they see it being used in multiple places over short time spans.

12) Gloves - light, heavy, and waterproof - these can be 2 or 3 pairs.

13) Don't overpack the clothes. Use laundramats if necessary.

14) Flashlight with extra batteries.

15) Tool kit - List for this should be in another thread.

16) Lightweight bike cover - not necessary but can be handy to keep folks from 'checking out' your bike after you stop for the night.

17) Plexus and a small towel to clean your windshield and facemask. They make it in a small can.

18) Extra headlight and taillight bulb (part of tool kit).

19) Spare key hidden on the bike.

20) Water - and drink regularly.

21) Gold Bond or Anti-MonkeyButt powder. Apply everyday.

22) Install highway pegs if you haven't already.

23) Install a backrest if you haven't already.

24) As suggested earlier - handiwipes and TP. Both really nice to have when you need them.

Most importantly, have fun. Try to ride mostly in the daylight since you can't see the scenary at night. Also, you can't see hazards or animals at night. If you get tired, stop and take a power nap (usually hits me about 2:00 - a 15 minute nap gets me ready to go again).

Plan your ride the best you can, but allow changes. There can be times when you want to spend a little more time in an area, and also times when you are 'in the zone' and want to ride further. Ride your own ride.

Where ya' goin'?

RR

where are you rideing to ? to go with a compainion ( a second bike) is always a good idea. im always up for a long ride im in ohio if your coming this way give me a call

I tend to like to ride with other bikers using our CBs. That is a great way to enjoy our beautiful land. However, with the company comes a problem. The speed that you can travel is inversely proportional to the number of riders you have in your group.

For example:

Last year 10 riders on 8 bikes (2 couples) rode from here in Missouri to the Smokies. Now understand we purposely ride the roads less traveled. We rarely ride on interstates or other major roads. In a group of 8-10 bikes on a long trip, you can only average about 40-44 miles/hr and still enjoy it. In the mountains, or even rugged terrain here in Southern Missouri/Northern Arkansas you have to lower your estimates even further, not necessarily due to the terrain, but because you want to see the scenery!

With 2 bikes you can easily average 55 on normal roads and just reduce the speed a few miles/per for sightseeing. The numbers of bikes will determined whether you will fall above or below those averages. I only recommend this because many years ago on the first trip I planned, for 4 riders, I estimated 55 miles/hr. By the third day, it was apparent that we would have to cut several hundred miles from our trip and the main destination. :bang head: So its something to consider. :080402gudl_prv:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/3116Stop_and_Go2

This is a VERY good tool kit for makeing road repairs to punctured tires.

It works, I have tried it !!

This, and an electric pump, will get you down the road, if you get a nail puncture.

If battery is over 3 years old, replace it before you leave: ----

Do the 3 Phase AC Stator Voltage check ahead of time, make sure your stator is working good.

Remove the Plug from your Rectifyer/Regulator Unit, and Clean the plug pins and apply Dialectric Greese.

I always carry a spare headlight bulb, but you can get them at any autoparts store.

Don't forget the Tire Pressure Gauge !!! check them often ---

Carry a can of SEA-FOAM, and HEET, in case you get some watered down Gas !!!!!

Take a couple of Spare " NEW " Spark Plugs. and tools to change them.

I also, reccomend that you take out your Tool Kit, and go down to the Tool store, and Duplicate everything thats in the KIT, with HIGH QUALITY TOOLS !!!

THE GOOD STUFF !!!!!!!

Make up a set of Jumper Cables, useing #10 Stranded Wire. This way you can jump start if you need to from sombodies car .

Be sure you know where ALL your fuse's are located, and carry spare's

Hand operated, air pump for your Rear Shock !! Don't use hose at station, and blow your Shock Seal.

Do you know about " Ride - On " ??? Tire Sealant ?? If not go to their web site and check it out. Good Stuff !!!!!!! Especially on Highway 50 going across Nevada Desert !!!

Consider carrying at least one spare Ignition Coil--

:thumbsup2:

The guys and gals all have great ideas. One thing I am going to try my hardest to remember is to concentrate on the journey and not the destination.

I have found myself destination driven a lot and have missed some neat things along the way.

If you can, give yourself enough time to stop and smell the flowers....even if they are danielions!

One really nice day we just stopped at a rest stop....layed on the grass and let the sun soak in and had a nap.....it was great.

I have taken long trips for years and can't say I've ever had a bad experience.

Each trip has it's own set of issues I might say.

Some of my ideas about long distance riding,

I really don't like to plan the trip as to where I have to be and when.

If I do plan the trip I always put a day or so extra between stops so I'm not rushed.

I don't force myself to ride say 500 miles a day. If I ride 80 miles today and 700 tomorrow I do that because it feels like the right thing to do.

I have NEVER taken a long trip with more than one other person and to be honest I would rather ride solo. (refer to 80 mile days and 500 mile days)

The guys have a lot of good ideas above but I don't carry much more in tools than came with the bike. If I have a flat I'm going to call someone, if the engine quits I'm calling someone. I don't carry a tire repair kit in my cars and I don't carry them on the bike.

Pack the bike so you don't have to unpack the whole bike every night.

Most things are common sense kind of things, just have a good time and enjoy yourself.

Jerry