IGNORED

Noise

Guest Silverstar

Guest Silverstar

I am looking to purchase a new Venture. I like everything about the bike. I just have a question as to engine (or transmission ) noise. I was told that because of the way that the gears are cut in a Venture, there is a lot of whine noise (loud high whine) when riding the Venture.

Can anyone comment on that? Is there a lot of engine noise? Whine?

You will definitely love the Venture. The whine that members had complained about is fixable. Not all members report the same symptoms and help is just a thread away. I do not notice any whine on my Venture yet, so I am keeping a close ear...the 5 year factory warranty will give you peace of mind.

Have fun shopping for your new Venture.

A few of these bikes have a very bad whine, and those few owners understandably complain loud and often about it. Many of these bikes have some acceptable level of whine that is not particularly bothersome. People that ride without a helmet probably have more complaints. For example, my 07 RSV had virtually no whine at all (but I always wear a full helmet); however, the person who bought it from me often rides without one and says he notices a slight whine but is not bothered by it.

The best advice is to make sure you personally ride a Royal Star before you buy it. That way you cannot be "surprised" after the deal is done. Many shops today stupidly and irrationally refuse to allow test rides on new bikes, but there is no way I would ever give one of those shops a cent. Without a decent test ride, no sale! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Mine whines, Doesn't bother me. At 80 the wind noise is gonna be a lot more than the whine.

There's certain speeds/gears that you notice it. 55 in 5th,45 in 4th like that. But this bike haul's a&*. And its the most confortable I have ridden. Ride one for a while and see how you like it.

I am looking to purchase a new Venture. I like everything about the bike. I just have a question as to engine (or transmission ) noise. I was told that because of the way that the gears are cut in a Venture, there is a lot of whine noise (loud high whine) when riding the Venture.

Can anyone comment on that? Is there a lot of engine noise? Whine?

Last Aug I got a 2008 Royal Venture and the nois really was unpleasant. I put a set of Samson Fish Tail slip on mufflers on and now I do not hear the wwwwhiiiiiinnnnnn any more. They have a nice deep throaty sound and are not to loud.

When the bike was 6 weeks old I had to have the rear hub replaced as it was shot. The dealer said he has never seen that happen before.

I have done a lot of mods and love the bike( It is a Keeper)

Johnny :240:

I have a 08 and I hear very little whine on it, If it bothers you turn up the radio or get some louder pipes. I will say that first think you will have to get used to is she is top heavy and you will notice it more ridding two up but you get used to it and dont even notice it after a while. Dont let that scare you just wanted to let you know they are very comfertable rides!! and as my girlfriend calls the back seat a couch you cant beat it. Good luck and for the money i dont think you will find a better deal I looked.

I was really wanting a Royal Star. I test rode an '05 and it whined so bad I was having second thoughts. A couple of weeks later I rode an identical '05 and it had no whine at all. They both had about 4,000 miles on the odometer. I bought the second one on the spot.

Every now and then I hear a slight whine, but I have to be listening closely.

I have had my 02 since I bought it new in April of 03 and it has had this whine from the start. I didn't think much of it as it was there when the mechanic at the dealer turned the bike over to me and when quetioned he explained the square cut gears. After 20,000 miles the bike is still going strong and I have not had any problems. On my bike this whine is most noticable during decelaration. You will not regret buying one.

Edited by DavidD

and when quetioned he explained the square cut gears.

On many motorcycles the primary drive (from the crankshaft to the transmission) is chain. This design is quiet but generally requires maintenance.

Yamaha tends to use gears for the primary drive. The gear driven primary is strong and zero maintenance. To eliminate side loads and reduce costs they use straight cut, or spur, gears. Spur gears are inherently noisy.

Depending on the gear lash (which is not adjustable) of the individual machine there will be more or less noise. My 89 makes a whistling sound, but it's been so long since riding weather I don't remember at what RPM it is most pronounced:crying:

At any rate, the gear noise is not an indication of a mechanical defect. It's purely an aesthetic issue.

• 2 years later...
I have a 08 and I hear very little whine on it, If it bothers you turn up the radio or get some louder pipes. I will say that first think you will have to get used to is she is top heavy and you will notice it more ridding two up but you get used to it and dont even notice it after a while. Dont let that scare you just wanted to let you know they are very comfertable rides!! and as my girlfriend calls the back seat a couch you cant beat it. Good luck and for the money i dont think you will find a better deal I looked.

My girlfriend actually fell asleep on the rear seat as I heading down the road about 55mph. ha ha No complaints from her about the ride on a venture. She loves the rear back support on the rear seat and the overall sound system. DanC:cool10:

You will definitely love the Venture. The whine that members had complained about is fixable. Not all members report the same symptoms and help is just a thread away. I do not notice any whine on my Venture yet, so I am keeping a close ear...the 5 year factory warranty will give you peace of mind.

Have fun shopping for your new Venture.

As for the factory 5 year warranty regarding the whine...pffft. The factory allows for a one time basket change with the option to change back to the original......that's it. If that doesn't help, too bad. I had an '07 RSTD and an '09 RSV that were virtually noiseless. The '07 RSV that I have now SCREAMS and 3 different clutch baskets hasn't helped the problem.