IGNORED

Windshield Cleaning

celling

This may have been included in this thread but it's way to long to read the whole dang thing!

I read a cleaning article on a windsheild manufacturer's website (can't member which) stating that the worst thing you can do to a plastic windsheild is rub in a circular motion. That's how you get all those crosshatch marks that only show up when you ride into the sun and cause all that glare.

They say ALLWAYS rub in a linear motion (up and down or side to side). It does not matter which direction you choose but once you do...allways do it the same.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HUH...I've been using Rain-Ex on my windsheild for 5 years and don't see any discolouration.

Ride safe,

Mike

I used it on my Royal Star and it ruined the shield, it raised the scratch protection.

I will not use it on my Venture.

If i'm washing the entire bike 1. spray off windsheild 2. soft clean towel w/warm soapy

water laid across sheild for a few minutes 3. pull towel staight up off the sheild and with the other side or a clean wet towel up and down motion untill bugs are gone 4. Plexus or Pledge.

JMHO...

I used to drive a lot of miles up and down the state of California, and a lot of them were at night in the San Juaquin Valley. Because of all the agriculture it was a breading ground for buggy critters, and I killed a lot of them. I had one company car that was dark pepper green and in a year and a half the front was bug blasted down to the white undercoating. On my business truck when ever I'd stop for fuel at a truck stop on I-5 N or S I noticed that the bugs came right off without using any elbow grease and scrubbing. I finally asked a cashier about it, and they said they put a cup of ammonia in the cleaning water. I'm not going to use Ammonia when cleaning plastic on the RSV, but it does work on glass. I don't get anywhere near that amount on the RSV, but do kill a few. What I can't figure out is why everyone seems to have his or her special voodoo formula for cleaning the bike windshield, and make it sound very difficult. I just carry a can of Pledge and 3-4 micro-towels in the saddle bag. It's the quickest and easiest.... and simplest method to use. No soaking the windshield, no soapy solutions, no hosing anything down.. etc. I can be anywhere and have a clean windshield in 2 minutes. Even in a rest stop.... :)

• 1 year later...

eagle one gel wax

has carnuba and is safe for plastics on the label

took off scratches or filled them , on the windshield,dont know ..

took off white film seemed to be on all the black plastic ,, looked new again,, especially dashboard

couldnt see before facing the sun ,now I can,, beads water really well in a rain storm.. comes right over the top into my collar

OK I have a question what is the best way to revive a windshield? You know streaked dull just blah looking its more then just DIRT its DULLLLLLLL!!!!:backinmyday:

:mytruck1:

Whatever spray wax you are using on the bike. It will shock you. Wipe up and down. Don't do circles.

POWER HOUSE cleaning wax at Dollar Tree for a buck a can is great.