IGNORED

What's For Dinner?

Yama Mama

This is my day to cook:

Turkey

Homemade stuffing

Real mashed potatoes

Homemade gravy (with lumps to prove it!)

Rhubarb pie (with ice cream)

Cathy doesn't think that's enough food so she'll make:

Hors d'oeuvres

Tossed salad

Green bean casserole

Sweet potatoes

Corn

Rolls

Canned cranberry sauce

Pumpkin pie.

Martha Stewart will not be dining with us this Thanksgiving.

I'm telling you in advance, so don't act surprised. Since Ms. Stewart won't be coming, I've made a few small changes:

Our sidewalk will not be lined with homemade, paper bag luminaries.

After a trial run, it was decided that no matter how cleverly done, rows of flaming lunch sacks do not have the desired welcoming effect.

The dining table will not be covered with expensive linens, fancy china or crystal goblets.

If possible, we will use dishes that match and everyone will get a fork.

Since this IS Thanksgiving, we will refrain from using the plastic Peter Rabbit plate and the Santa napkins from last Christmas.

Our centerpiece will not be the tower of fresh fruit and flowers that I promised. Instead we will be displaying a hedgehog-like decoration hand-crafted from the finest construction paper.

The artist assures me it is a turkey.

We will be dining fashionably late.

The children will entertain you while you wait. I'm sure they will be happy to share every choice comment I have made regarding Thanksgiving, pilgrims and the turkey hotline. Please remember that most of these comments were made at 5:00 AM upon discovering that the turkey was still hard enough to cut diamonds. As accompaniment to the children's recital, I will play a recording of tribal drumming. If the children should mention that I don't own a recording of tribal drumming, or that tribal drumming sounds suspiciously like a frozen turkey in a clothes dryer, ignore them. They are lying.

We toyed with the idea of ringing a dainty silver bell to announce the start of our feast. In the end, we chose to keep our traditional method.

We've also decided against a formal seating arrangement. When the smoke alarm sounds, please gather around the table and sit where you like.

In the spirit of harmony, we will ask the children to sit at a separate table. In a separate room. Next door. Now I know you have all seen pictures of one person carving a turkey in front of a crowd of appreciative onlookers. This will not be happening at our dinner. For safety reasons, the turkey will be carved in a private ceremony. I stress "private" meaning: Do not, under any circumstances, enter the kitchen to laugh at me. Do not send small, unsuspecting children to check on my progress. I have an electric knife. The turkey is unarmed. It stands to reason that I will eventually win. When I do, we will eat.

Before I forget, there is one last change. Instead of offering a choice between 12 different scrumptious desserts, we will be serving the traditional pumpkin pie, garnished with whipped cream and small fingerprints.

You will still have a choice: take it or leave it.

Martha Stewart will not be dining with us this Thanksgiving.

I'm telling you in advance, so don't act surprised. Since Ms. Stewart won't be coming, I've made a few small changes:

Our sidewalk will not be lined with homemade, paper bag luminaries.

After a trial run, it was decided that no matter how cleverly done, rows of flaming lunch sacks do not have the desired welcoming effect.

The dining table will not be covered with expensive linens, fancy china or crystal goblets.

If possible, we will use dishes that match and everyone will get a fork.

Since this IS Thanksgiving, we will refrain from using the plastic Peter Rabbit plate and the Santa napkins from last Christmas.

Our centerpiece will not be the tower of fresh fruit and flowers that I promised. Instead we will be displaying a hedgehog-like decoration hand-crafted from the finest construction paper.

The artist assures me it is a turkey.

We will be dining fashionably late.

The children will entertain you while you wait. I'm sure they will be happy to share every choice comment I have made regarding Thanksgiving, pilgrims and the turkey hotline. Please remember that most of these comments were made at 5:00 AM upon discovering that the turkey was still hard enough to cut diamonds. As accompaniment to the children's recital, I will play a recording of tribal drumming. If the children should mention that I don't own a recording of tribal drumming, or that tribal drumming sounds suspiciously like a frozen turkey in a clothes dryer, ignore them. They are lying.

We toyed with the idea of ringing a dainty silver bell to announce the start of our feast. In the end, we chose to keep our traditional method.

We've also decided against a formal seating arrangement. When the smoke alarm sounds, please gather around the table and sit where you like.

In the spirit of harmony, we will ask the children to sit at a separate table. In a separate room. Next door. Now I know you have all seen pictures of one person carving a turkey in front of a crowd of appreciative onlookers. This will not be happening at our dinner. For safety reasons, the turkey will be carved in a private ceremony. I stress "private" meaning: Do not, under any circumstances, enter the kitchen to laugh at me. Do not send small, unsuspecting children to check on my progress. I have an electric knife. The turkey is unarmed. It stands to reason that I will eventually win. When I do, we will eat.

Before I forget, there is one last change. Instead of offering a choice between 12 different scrumptious desserts, we will be serving the traditional pumpkin pie, garnished with whipped cream and small fingerprints.

You will still have a choice: take it or leave it.

LETS EAT!:fnd_(16):

As usual I have to cook Thanksgiving dinner for the family. I just wondered what everybody is having for Thanksgiving dinner?

It is such a nice holiday, you do not have to give gifts. You just eat and watch football.

Yama Mama

We only had a Honey bee ham for our Thanksgiving, So Peggy what time should we show up for dinner???

Ian :big-grin-emoticon:

For many years I did most of the cooking on Thanksgiving. 20 lb bird, stuffing, whipped Idaho spuds, carefully hand peeled at 7 am TG morning while listening faithfully every year to Rock 105 radio play "Alice's Restaurant" every year at 7 am. Candied and marshmallowed yams, mississippi mud cake, etc.

Well, since its just Jean and myself now at home we decided to scale it down a bit. Since my surgery last year I cant eat much anyway, so.....were going to get a 15 lb smoked bird from Sonny's BBQ. Had it last year and it was great. Walnut raisin stuffing, my famous potatoes and a few pies. Nothing fancy. Only thing I can eat is the turkey anyhow.

As Zeus says: Bone' Appetite':178:

This will be my first attempt at cooking a 20 lb turkey,

..stuffing is bound to be an interesting task well,

..baked yams with brown sugar glaze topped with marshmallows,

..baked acorn squash - with butter and honey,

..homemade egg noodles with chicken gravy - no chance in getting that correct but try I must

..lots of Idaho mashed potatoes with lots of butter and no lumps

..cranberries - an easy one - open the can will do

..warm bread rolls

..and hope I did not forget anything.

.. and how am I possibly going to get everything to be done at the same.

JP

Cooking Thanksgiving Dinner has been my honor for a almost ten years now. It is something I really like to do. This year I will be expanding upon the Tur-Duck-en I did last year. I will be preparing and cooking a Tur-Goo-uck-en. That's right, a chicken stuffed into a duck stuffed into a goose stuffed into a turkey. Then add cornbread stuffing, buns, corn bread muffins and all the other sides.

I took over the cooking duties a few years after my Dad died and I do my best to carry on the tradition of being a bit non-traditional and creating surprising dishes and serving things people have never had.

We decided to invite Linda's sister, who invited her boyfriend and roommate. We also invited a couple from our riding group. The menu is traditional...turkey, sage dressing, mashed taters and gravy, crescent rolls, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, cranberry/orange sauce, black olives and chocolate pecan pie with real whipped cream.

GOOD STUFF ..........................................................Ron

This is my day to cook:

Pumpkin pie.

MiCarl, you can keep the pumpkin pie, but I would NOT advise eating the rhubarb pie! You MUST send that down to me so I can taste it for you and make sure it's safe!!!!!

I'll try and send whats left over back to you! Not much chance of that happening, tho!!

Dan

Being the non-conformist we're having a big ol' pork roast. For the past umpteem years everyone came to our house. Wife's the only one in her clan that can cook turkey I guess. But this year we get to go to her sister's. Now I'll be able to know the joy of eating, bore relatives with stories of how great I am, and leave when I feel like it. WOOOHOOOO

:nanner:

This is my day to cook:

Turkey

Homemade stuffing

Real mashed potatoes

Homemade gravy (with lumps to prove it!)

Cathy doesn't think that's enough food so she'll make:

Hors d'oeuvres

Tossed salad

Green bean casserole

Sweet potatoes

Corn

Rolls

Canned cranberry sauce

Pumpkin pie.

We decided to invite Linda's sister, who invited her boyfriend and roommate. We also invited a couple from our riding group. The menu is traditional...turkey, sage dressing, mashed taters and gravy, crescent rolls, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, cranberry/orange sauce, black olives and chocolate pecan pie with real whipped cream.

GOOD STUFF ..........................................................Ron

I'm liking the sounds of both of them, Carl is close so if he puts it on the table early I could eat there and then fly out to Vegas and have a late supper with Ron and Linda....Hmmmmmm:scratchchin:

BTW Carl...dont listen to Dano, he wouldn't know how to properly taste that pie. I mean look at him, how can a skinny guy like him have the proper tastebuds to distinguish good taste.

[quote=squidley;2752

BTW Carl...dont listen to Dano, he wouldn't know how to properly taste that pie. I mean look at him, how can a skinny guy like him have the proper tastebuds to distinguish good taste.

He could have a tapeworm, that would keep him skinny.......but I agree he probably isn't qualified for the job, however, I am more than qualified and would be glad to do the honors...:rasberry:

Big vat of super heated peanut oil and a nekkid bird!!! :thumbsup2:

I might get fancy and use real potatoes this year.

What Forrest said, except I have switched to cottonseed oil because I usually end up frying 15 - 20 turkeys for friends and neighbors and don't want to chance someone being algergic to peanuts. Usually have a few side dishes of beer when the frying is done, a little skeered to drink while I am frying, but that is just me.

BTW Brad, us "skinny guys" have the same amount of stomach, it's just all that extra "leftovers" that we don't have to carry around. We're generally moving around and getting more done than youse guys that have to "let the belt out a notch" after a meal........ Keeps those quarter-mile times down, you know!

I will guarentee you, for a good, fresh rhubarb pie, I would ride like a "pond-monster" up to MiCarls just to enjoy it! :dancefool:

He could have a tapeworm, that would keep him skinny.......but I agree he probably isn't qualified for the job, however, I am more than qualified and would be glad to do the honors...:rasberry:

HMMMMMMM, I can see a contest coming up at MD this year............ Cheesecake or Rhubarb pie???? Name your poison, boys! The game is on!!

:sign bring it on: