IGNORED

We used to be fun once

Marcarl

Does it have to do with the VW painted up as an advertisement for A&W rootbeer?

Margaret

No Carl manages to get two or three storys into one little statement, you just have to read between the lines. The problem is that this was a one liner :rotf:

BRad

When my wife & I got married, we were in the Air Force. She was just out of basic & medic school. I was just out of a long tech school. Anyway, this was 1968 and 2 stripes didn't make much and the wedding was on our dime.......Our "reception" such as it was, was at....you guessed it...A&W! They gave us the frosty mugs!

Oh, mercy, I hadn't thought about that in years.....thanks for the reminder! Still have the mugs! :thumbsup:

In 1980 between our wedding and the reception we had some pictures taken and since it was a hot July day we stopped in to the local A&W driveinn for a frosty rootbeer. My brother was driving and ordered 4 drinks and paid for the mugs too. We still have them.

Great memories!

So here's the story:

It was about 1977, and the bug was a 66 if I'm not mistaken. I bought it to drive back and forth to work. Bettle Boards put an ad in the local newspaper wanting to advertise products on VW bettles. We applied and got a contract for 1 year. They painted the car, with minor body work, and then applied the decals. They then paid us about $20.00 per month just to drive it around as we normally would, with an extra $25.00 for each parade that we joined. We joined in 2 parades in that year. The kids loved it and tended to almost climb all over this thing. My Dad & Mom, Dad was 70 at the time, also borrowed it for about 2 weeks while I did the body work and paint on their car. They never had so much fun driving around with comments as they did then. When the year was up, BB came and removed the decals and then repainted the car to it's original color. I then drove it for almost another year before the brake lines started to freeze, because water doesn't stay liquid in cold temperatures and brake fluid, at 1 can per week, was too expensive to keep replacing. The money received was enough to cover gas for the month and the parades helped out as well. I paid $300.00 to buy it to start with and got $150.00 for it when I was done. Sometimes inflation is a good thing.

There's probably more to this story, but my memory ran dry at this point. I guess I was just wondering if anyone else had done the same thing, they had many different companies that they did advertising for. It was a neat idea.

It was about 1977, I guess I was just wondering if anyone else had done the same thing,

Nope, I was 19 and mine was a '72. I was driving through town one day when I saw a fireball in my rear view mirror. In true fighter pilot fashion I got in aimed away from buildings and people ;) and vacated it while it was still running, then I just left it burning at the side of the road...dam gas fueled heaters.

:yikes:

But A&W root beer is even better! And there still are a few independently oprated stores around the country. There's one In Lake George New York home of the Americade and we usally stop at least once for a big frosty mug, bacon cheese burgers and hot dogs. They even serve fish and fried clam dinners. Man my mouths watering even as i remember that!

Oh, that looks like a love bug. I thought it would be a love story, Carl. No romance in driving around a bill board....are you sure there is not a love story about that car?? Its still an interesting story, though.

Now you're getting kind of personal, but that's alright, I'm sure Marca won't mind if I tell you about our forays out in the middle of the night when everyone else was asleep, like the night when my loved one could not find sleep so I loaded all into the bug and went for a short and then a longer drive, first in the city and then out into the country to find some lonely desolate roads where relaxation could be found, and when finally it was discovered that the eyes were closed and the breathing regular, I took the short route home only to be told: Daddie, I don't want to go to bed!!!!!!!!

But A&W root beer is even better! And there still are a few independently oprated stores around the country. There's one In Lake George New York home of the Americade and we usally stop at least once for a big frosty mug, bacon cheese burgers and hot dogs. They even serve fish and fried clam dinners. Man my mouths watering even as i remember that!

Now root beer will be ok for some, but back in the late 60's we were kind of fed up with root beer so we asked our carhop in Port Colborne for a mix of root beer and orange. When she brought it to us she looked a little disgusted and said it looked more like swamp water than anything she would drink. We did like the mix and still ask for it today, by name, and we get it.

Had no story about advertising but that was mine and Beverly's(phantom wife) FIRST date place and many many more until Woodstock's A&W was torn down.

Even did a drive thru (and drink) on our wedding day car procession. 25 years now and still go once in a while.

It was my everyday haven and hangout after work for a very long time. Everyone always seemed to know me and I STILL have people recognizing me as UNCLE Phil(nickname at the time) mostly because of my nephew always calling me uncle and it caught on from there.Still miss those days even tho there is a new one here now(noway near the way they were)Wife hopes I don't win a lottery as one of the first things going to be done is bring back a COMPLETELY retro drive-in complete with door to door service and maybe sometimes roller skates.Come on numbers!!!!I'm waiting/waiting/waiting:mo money::mo money:

do any of ya'll remember the cone shaped qt containers for take-out, every time i went thru rockmart, ga in the 70s and 80s, i always stop to eat and get a qt to go. after it got hot it didn't taste too good. it's best in the frosted mugs, the dine-in here closed last year. they wouldn't serve it in the mugs for dive-thru, only inside orders, they said too many was being taken home!