IGNORED

Wikipedia Venture pages

Bummer

Hi folks,

I've been editing the Wikipedia Venture and RSV pages. I'm getting ready to bring the Venture page up to the style of the RSV page. As such I'm looking for a good pic (1024x768 res or better) of each Mk of the First Gen to put on the page. The pic has to be yours and you have to release it into the public domain. At this point I really only need two. I might be able to get away with one of each year, though I'm not sure how the senior editors feel about that sort of thing.

Now you could do this yourself, but you have to do a minimum number of edits before you're allowed to post pics. Naturally corrective edits are welcome on either page. It's not like I own 'em or anything. I'm just trying to keep them in the same basic layout as the RSV one since it's similar to most of the other more established Wikipedia pages.

I'm hoping that changing the page to a more Encyclopedic format will put an end to the battles over the adverts for the web sites that Freebird found when he first started the pages. (Thanks for starting them Don.)

Anyone interested?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope these pictures goes through OK if i'll try again

if you are looking for a pictire of first gen Venture then this is the one to use of if you would like i can thake a few more and let you chose

This Venture is a 1983 and has the serial number of 00101.

I call Yamaha last week and they told me their records don't go back that far the lowest serial number they ahve a record for is 00177. but they are of the opinion that is is in fact the first of the Verture model but their is no way to confirm it so they could not give me any documentation.

the best thing is it's still on the road.

Squeeze: I'll do my best. You'll have to check up on me after I've edited it to make sure I phrased things properly. I know a lot about these things, but not everything by a long shot.

Don: Thanks. I'm very glad to help out the community. As an added plus I'm hoping that by adding detailed info the stuff about the clubs will remain without hassles from the upper level editors.

GS51: You have a PM.

Steve, who can say he knows everything ? That isn't important.

The common Brain here on the Site could say we know 99.99 Percent of all what has to be known, but there's more to explore even when you have been everywhere and done everything.

I like your writing Style and i wish o could phrase these Things as a Venture-History only half as fine as you do. I'd be honored to help.

Ideally I'd like a quarter view. Check my pic on the RSV page. This shows the front end slightly as well as a good view of the side.

I also need a statement that the pic is released into the public domain. If you want you can type up a caption, just keep in mind it has to fit in with the Encyclopedia nature of the site.

Again, I can't use a bunch at this time. I don't know if a whole slideshow would be welcomed. :)

Looking for a nice MKII also.

PM me and I'll send you my email address if you're interested.

I'm also looking for the LIT number for the First Gen Service Manual. I have one but can't find it right now. I'd like to use it as part of the reference structure. For some reason paper sources seem to make the senior editors happier than using all internet based references.

Squeeze: How about checking the paragraph I added to the History section when you get a chance. Make sure it's what you meant. I had remembered the order somewhat differently. For some reason I thought the V-Max engine was first. Doing some research to work on the page I found out I was wrong.

Ideally I'd like a quarter view. I don't know if a whole slideshow would be welcomed. :)

Looking for a nice MKII also.

PM me and I'll send you my email address if you're interested.

pm sent personaly ive also though the 1st gens best angle was the rear quarter.

you have permision to use any photos of my 1984 venture XVZ1200

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/MikeM8560/Venture%20XVZ12/th_1984YAMAHA1300d.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/MikeM8560/Venture%20XVZ12/th_1984YAMAHA1300q.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/MikeM8560/Venture%20XVZ12/th_venture.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/MikeM8560/Venture%20XVZ12/th_1984YAMAHA1300n.jpg

The Reference from the MK I to the Vmax and back to the MKII is fine now.

"The drive shaft and differential..." I don't think we should call the final Drive on Shaft driven Bikes a "Differential". Maybe you change that in final Drive, angled Gear or something in that Line. A Differential is built to compensate different Revelations betwenn inside and outside Wheel of an Axle.

The Reference from the MK I to the Vmax and back to the MKII is fine now.

"The drive shaft and differential..." I don't think we should call the final Drive on Shaft driven Bikes a "Differential". Maybe you change that in final Drive, angled Gear or something in that Line. A Differential is built to compensate different Revelations betwenn inside and outside Wheel of an Axle.

You're absolutely right. No slippage. I didn't think of that, just went with the common term. I'll work on it.

Thanks.

First off, awesome page. There are some slangy sections (e.g., "ready to go"), but the information is excellent.

Question: I know I must be missing it, but in the time line, where is the RSTD? I realize that it is a sibling of the Venture, but it is a different bike. We don't get the nifty cassette player. :stickpoke:

First off, awesome page. There are some slangy sections (e.g., "ready to go"), but the information is excellent.

Question: I know I must be missing it, but in the time line, where is the RSTD? I realize that it is a sibling of the Venture, but it is a different bike. We don't get the nifty cassette player. :stickpoke:

I'm still working on proper turn of phrase. It's one thing to chat casually like on here, it's another thing altogether to put a suit and tie on it. I tend to whip the whole thing out then dress it up from there. It started with a couple of basic paragraphs that Freebird posted so there'd be something. I added the formatting and a lot of the details. It's a work in progress.

Bear in mind that anyone can register to be a Wikipedia editor and edit almost any page they want. There's been a bit of back and forth over the Clubs section. Part of what I'm trying to do is include everyone so nobody feels a need to add themselves in the wrong place and mess the whole thing up, as has happened in the past.

I'm working on a complete Yamaha V-4 based series. I'm adding the Royal Star now. I'll add the RSTD, but it'll take a little time. I'll be more than happy to accept a couple of pics of the RSTD also, but right now there isn't even a page to put 'em on. Of course, if you want to sign up and add it that's certainly ok too.

I didn't create the timeline. It's a template that I've been working on correcting. You'll note it doesn't go back beyond 1990 which leaves out the MK1 First Gens altogether. I can add the RSTD, but as always, time and knowledge play their parts.

It's allways a Question about how much Information should be there in a Wikipedia Article.

Basic Informations should be there and of Course they should be correct by any Meanings.

But there's allways a "Fever" of putting more Informations into the Article. I personally see no Need of getting all the detailed Info into Wikipedia. It's important to cover all the Basic, but then if one is interested, there are a Lot of Sources out in the Net to provide any further and detailed Information.

Bummer, you're doing a great Job there !!!

RSTD owners, I could use a couple of nice pics for the Wiki page.

Midnight Venture owners, I could use a pic. Preferably with the studded seats.

Royal Star owners, I need one more pic to go with the one I expect to get from Pegscraper.

1024x768 or larger preferred. The final image must be released to the public domain so that it can be displayed on Wikipedia.

If you're interested let me know and I'll send you my email address.

Anyone, if you can find issues with the pages linked to from here let me know so I can fix 'em.

Thanks everyone.

There were some other models of the early Royal Stars around. Mine is the Standard four muffler model. In the later years of the '96 - '01 run, there was also a Tour Classic with two mufflers and soft bags, and a Tour Deluxe model with two mufflers and hard bags (not to be confused with the '05 and newer RSTD). It would be nice if someone with these models could send him a picture. I know there are a few of you on here.

Edited by pegscraper