IGNORED

opinion

jlh3rd

took a ride with a yamaha star chapter this past sat....group is basically new, formed in may.....there were about 12 bikes, i was #4.....got on the on ramp to merge onto an interstate. this ramp has a stop sign because of construction.....i approached the sign , and accelerated away...girlfriend on the back.....the rider behind me on a valkrie, blows past me.......i was pissed....now, do i say something to this guy ...i don't know the exact rules of group riding, but this can't be right........yes or no.....

I ride with a star group a lot. There should have been a safety brief just before you started. This is where the 'rules of the ride' are discussed. Hand signals, staggered formation, following distance, lane changes, stop signs and lights, etc. The ride capt. should ensure this is always done.

Edited by Owen
spelling

My opinion. Don't waste your energy or time trying to talk to an Idiot!

Whatever you say, isn't going to sink in anyway. However, I would have to strongly recondsider riding with the group if that individual is in it.

I have found myself dropping to the back or avoiding riding with the group all together when certain people are in it. I have enough to do watching what I'm doing. Don't need someone riding my tail from behind, not maintaining a close group in cities, supposedly leading a ride then running off down the mountain considerably exceeding posted speeds, not staying up with the rider in front of them and my list can go on and on and on. I have found that about 4 bikes is about the MOST I feel comfortable riding with, two is better and they ALL better be people I have rode with before.

OK.......Off my soapbox.

I rode with a big group of folks from the Indianapolis Star group a couple of weekends ago.

They had a safety meeting before we took off and I was impressed by their organization.

Still, with that many people, there were a couple of incidents due to the different skill levels of riders. I made it a point to keep my distance from the other riders since I hadn't ridden with most of them before. Guess it's better to be extra cautious whenever you ride in groups.

I agree with Roadkill. Probably a waste of time to talk to a "stranger" about his/her riding. (Although I probably would but I live for confrontation) If that was the ride captain I would avoid the group all together. If not then I would take the concern to the ride captain and let him handle it. As a new group there's no telling who really know who yet but basics of group riding don't change.

took a ride with a yamaha star chapter this past sat....group is basically new, formed in may.....there were about 12 bikes, i was #4.....got on the on ramp to merge onto an interstate. this ramp has a stop sign because of construction.....i approached the sign , and accelerated away...girlfriend on the back.....the rider behind me on a valkrie, blows past me.......i was pissed....now, do i say something to this guy ...i don't know the exact rules of group riding, but this can't be right........yes or no.....

you appraoched the stop sign and "accelerated away"??? weren't you supposed to stop? (or am I missing something?)

in any event, IMHO, in a group ride, NOBODY accelerates past the rider in front of them.

I'm a RC with our STAR chapter. Without being there it's hard to make an absolute statement. A stop sign on an entrance ramp can be a dicey situation. Maybe the guy on the Valk had someone climbing his rear end and he didn't feel safe stopping. I don't know, I wasn't there.

Could be the guy was caught off guard and passed you instead of running into you or maybe the guy is a careless jerk.

Depending on the size of the group the Tail Gunner should have seen what happened, the RC should have been leading and probably didn't catch it.

You don't mention if the Valk rider was a STAR member or a guest like yourself. He could be new to group riding himself.

Either way, if I was you and I ended up riding with these folks again I would bring it up at the pre ride meeting and make sure it gets straightened out. If the issue wasn't settled to my satisfaction I would find some other folks to ride with. JMO.-Jack

I find if I ride in a group larger than about four bikes, I tend to spend a lot of energy watching everyone else.

RandyA

My EXACT sentiments! Just doesn't seem enjoyable.

I always let those fast 1st Gen's lead. They clear out all the cops before I arrive.:cool10:

Just recently rode with a group.(109 bikes in all) ther were no problems at all as there were rc posted throughout the gruop and a preride meeting was held over the loud speaker so everyone could hear.

now as for the crowding comment I can understand. I got crowded in on the rider in front of me and had to dump the bike in gravel to keep from hitting the lady in front of me. Several ride captains saw the incedent and asked the guy behind me knidly to leave the ride.

hope this helps.

As has been stated above. the rules should be stated before hand and followed. if not the rc should resolve the situation. Passing was not allowed either and several peaple were asked to leave the ride for that.

david

Anytime there is a ride thru construction, there is always opportunities for problems. The Valk rider may have not known there was a stop sign where there usually isn't one and was not prepared to stop or maybe he was giving more space to someone behind him. If he was just showing off, that is another matter, especially in a construction area. Remember, "One who rides faster than the rest, rides alone".

On all the VR rides I have participated in, and that has been associated with Vogal and Asheville, there has only been one incident and that was in a construction zone down in Georgia year before last. Unexpectedly the traffic came to a hault because of a truck with a trailer turning. The bike was hurt bad, but the rest was road rash.

With the information given, there is some confusion on my part.

RandyA

When riding with a new group or a new person joining our ride, the ride captain is the one to lay out the road rules. If no prebrief I stay way in the back to study who ride like what. Know the route in case you get separated. Rod

eck, very good post.

Seeing you post reminds me of one of the first rides I had with VR and I think it was Vogal I. I remember there was several of us screaming thru the mountain roads at just about everything we could do and no matter how hard we rode, we could not keep up with the UPS truck.

There was not any fault here, The S*B was flying.

RandyA

i'm gonna address some of ya'lls comments.....i've ridden with this group before......the ride captain is the vp...the guy who passed me his his good friend and the sarg.-at-arms....both are prison guards.....and grew up in this area.....i did not grow up here......the ride cap. likes to enter the hwys. and get on it on his 1800 roadstar.....which leaves the group behind....the pre-ride discussion is a stagger.....we all know the area and the stop sign wasn't new......i'm trying to give this group some leeway, as i've ridden with a hog chapter until my harley engine broke......i'm 55, ain't afraid of anyone...but they have my 45 bucks for chapter patches ..........the question was, do i confront this guy or let it go......would you.....i've never quit anything unless it's on my own terms...........yep, i'm mad........

Yes I would confront them. STAR has strict rules of conduct for Chapter rides. One rule is that all laws including speed limits will be strictly obeyed. Assuming this was an official chapter ride and not just some members out riding. There is a difference.

If you don't get the answers you like you can contact the national leadership by email or phone. It will be dealt with.-Jack

Ive only ever been on one group ride (always rode either solo or with 1 or 2 buddys) and that was at Marcarls meet and eat. I was glad that the group captian asked if anyone was familiar with or new to group riding. He then went on to explain how they like to do things and the various signals used on down the line to to keep everyone in the know as to what was ahead. It made for a very enjoyable, safe ride. It never hurts to make sure everyone is on the same wavelength.

i'm gonna address some of ya'lls comments.....i've ridden with this group before......the ride captain is the vp...the guy who passed me his his good friend and the sarg.-at-arms....both are prison guards.....and grew up in this area.....i did not grow up here......the ride cap. likes to enter the hwys. and get on it on his 1800 roadstar.....which leaves the group behind....the pre-ride discussion is a stagger.....we all know the area and the stop sign wasn't new......i'm trying to give this group some leeway, as i've ridden with a hog chapter until my harley engine broke......i'm 55, ain't afraid of anyone...but they have my 45 bucks for chapter patches ..........the question was, do i confront this guy or let it go......would you.....i've never quit anything unless it's on my own terms...........yep, i'm mad........

Still say walk away from the situation. Star does have lots of rules regarding rides, but all you will do is cause hard feelings if you try to enforce them over this situation. If it was Me and my Smart Ass attitude, I would wait till the next ride, ask for the ride rules to be covered if they are not, then turn to the AH that passed you and asked him if he heard anything, has any questions or is there anything he would like you to explain to him, like NOT PASSING ONCE IN FORMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!. :whistling:Then calmly walk back to my bike and act like it never happened

Tell him in easy terms that you were not hapy with the situation and leave it be,,,,until next time,,,,,watch him close and if he pulls it again,,, walk up to him, look him in the eye, and point blank tell him that you won't ride with him again, unless he is in front of you!!

John, I am President of our STAR Chapter - we have approx. 40 members with about 36 riders. I have (2) official ride dates per month - and average about 22 bikes per ride. We often ride as one large group - as at the moment I don't have a lot of ass't Road Captains.

STAR does have some strict guidelines that the President and Road Captain(s) need to adhere to. Often, in my experience, individual chapters may enhance upon those guidelines to make the riding within their group even safer. Having said that, I have seen some chapters who just like to ride hard. In our chapter, we have policy where all the new riders and guests ride in the back between a second road captain and the tailgunner.

Not knowing the specifics as others have said, I would bring up your concern to the chapter president and road captain. Whereas friends may be involved, group safety is paramount for all. If the practice continued, I would get ahold of the Regional Director and, if it wasn't resolved, possibly ride with another chapter in the area (if there is one). If the ride is a "pick up ride" amongst friends, then some may ride differently, but as one said here already, group riding is about basic common sense and should be fun - and safe - for all.

Bottom line for me..... you want to make 56. Unsafe is unsafe no matter who it is. I'll ride solo any day rather than put myself at risk because of some yahoo. I would confront it and if they don't like it, ride on. There are other groups to ride with and they don't have to be organized. I have some friends that I ride with. Nothing organized but we just happen to like to ride together. Even at that everyone is ultimately responsible for their own ride. I love to ride but if I had to change who I am and ride in a way that I felt was unsafe to conform to a group it would be just me and the wind next time.