IGNORED

Proud of my son !

StarFan

Hi there.

Just can´t help but brag a little about my youngest son "Valli". He just turned sixteen this summer and is the leader in a mellow rock group in Iceland called "Hinir" (The Others). The band consists of six youngsters from the age of fourteen to seventeen. My boy is the lead singer, guitar player and songwriter and even though I say so myself the music is more advanced than one would expect from such young kids.

The song called "Living was easy" has a story behind it:

In 2003 my father, Valli´s grandfather passed away unexpectedly and it was the first loss my sons experienced. We went through the procedure of greeving for some time and tried to stay strong and stick together and as time went by the wounds started to heal little by little. Then about a year ago I was browsing the internet and looking at some poetry when my older son´s name came up. I clicked the link and it took me to a poetry site where one could post his poetry. There was a beautiful piece full of love and grieve that my son had written to his grandfather and it just melted my heart and brought tears to my eyes. He had never told us about this and I respect that all the way and it tought me that our kids have sides that they do not always share/show us parents.

The week after we were at my youngest sons graduation at school (he was fifteen then) and his band was performing in front of five hundred people. He introduced the first song as a little song he had written when his grandfather had passed away three years ago (he was just turning twelve at the time). Me and my wife were just big question marks. He had never told us about this and we had never heard him sing. He had his twelwe string Seagull guitar, started the instrumental intro and then began singing. Tears were just running down my face - just could not help it - it was such a beautiful performance and the sweetest song I had heard in a long time and brought back memories of my father. He was a professional guitar player and I think it is O.K. for my son to quote Kenny Loggins by saying" I am a living Legacy of the leader of the band".

You can listen to the song as well as two others by clicking this link (or copy and paste into your browser). www.myspace.com/hinir

Hope you forgive me for bragging. I am just very proud of my sons and the kids in the band.

YOU GOT A RIGHT TO BE PROUD OF THAT ONE!!

Not bad at all.

Thanks Dan.

I think they got something going for them but only time will tell where this leads to.There is some kind of a originality in this music of theirs and they are doing this on their own terms with their own arrangements.

I will at least support them all the way in every way. Thats what we parents are for.

The song "London" is also a catchy song he wrote to his girlfriend when she went on a three days trip to England. Woww,,,, are they in love,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You have every right to be proud of your son. I really liked the folksy-bluesy sound of Livin' was easy. Kind of a James Taylor feel to it. It's nice to hear a song these days that has a piano in it. I felt it added something special to the song. I was really impressed with the guitar playing too.

The other two songs are good too. The second one I really liked the sound and I could be wrong on the third one, but I thought I heard a little Lennon.

I honestly think these kids have a big future ahead of them.

I'll say it again, I love hearing the Piano.

It's refreshing to hear new songs that are actually good, and that you can understand.

Keep us updated on their progress.

The other two songs are good too. The second one I really liked the sound and I could be wrong on the third one, but I thought I heard a little Lennon.

Thanks Wayne and all the others for your nice comments.

Regarding Lennon,,,,,,,,, Hmmmmm,,,,,,, Did never feel a lot of blues in his music but then again we all hear music in different ways. But good old James Taylor is there for sure. My all time favourite. Heard he just released a new album.

So, are we gonna get a vr.org discount on the CDs????? And they would be available when?

Well, releasing a CD has been discussed. But I think it is to soon. I think that they should keep experimenting, finess their playing and performing and be given the oppurtunity to mature a little as a band. Lets give them a couple of years and see what happens.

What you can hear on www.myspace.com/hinir are actually studio recordings except the song "hundred million pushups" the instrumental song. That was just done with a simple homestudio. So history has been preserved so to speak because in the future it is very important to be able to listen to older recordings and hear how the music and playing has advanced or/and changed/matured.

When and if there is a CD I will post and everybody at VR.org will have a special price for sure.

Thank you all for your kind words. Warms my heart and tells me that my opinion on their music and playing is not entirely colored from being the father of Valli. :sign Rock On: