IGNORED

Kuryakyn ISO grips and end weights

I noticed the difference. There was more vibration in the grips without the weights. Also, there was no place to rest my right hand when using cruise control.

In order to fit the weights on with the Iso Grips, I used a Dremel tool to increase the size of the hole in the end of the grips. This was a while ago, but it seems to me that I may have also cut off part of the throttle grip sleeve.

There is a pretty simple solution, take your Dremel (or any grinder) and grind off the raised area of the bar end weight. On the left side weight all you will need is a longer screw to re-attach the weight, the throttle side weight will require a short brass 1/4" pipe nipple approximately 2" long. This will slide over the screw after it is inserted through the weight to keep the weight from clamping down on the throttle. One other thing, after you have the grinding complete, tape off the chrome on the weight and paint the area you have just ground to keep it from rusting.

If I have confused you, send me a PM with your e-mail address, and I will try to do a better job and throw in some pics.:happy34:

The above post shows 1 way to do it, but there is another, that worked very well for me. First of all, you need a 1" drill bit, drill out the ends. On the right grip, you will re-locate the throttle box up a bit, which involves repositioning it, and drilling the guide pin hole. The easiest way to do it, is bring the grips and your bike to the next Ontario Maintenance day, and let GaryN and Marcarl do all the work for you. You will not be able to get near the bike. And while you are eating some hamburgs and dogs, your grips will magically be installed :whistling::sign isnt that spec.. But seriously, if you need help with this install, ask around, I am sure Gary or Carl can guide you better than I could. Good luck!

Sonny

I never re-installed the stock weights when I put my Kuryakyn grips on and never ever noticed any difference. But that is me....you might.

You can purchase the Kuryakyn palm rest pad and install it on just prior to installing the decorative end cap using the longer chrome screws that come with it.

Now you have something to rest your hand on when in cruise mode.

I installed one on each grip to keep it symetrical in appearance.

I have never noticed any difference with out the stock weight myself.

Guest BluesLover
I never re-installed the stock weights when I put my Kuryakyn grips on and never ever noticed any difference. But that is me....you might.

You can purchase the Kuryakyn palm rest pad and install it on just prior to installing the decorative end cap using the longer chrome screws that come with it.

Now you have something to rest your hand on when in cruise mode.

I installed one on each grip to keep it symetrical in appearance.

I have never noticed any difference with out the stock weight myself.

:sign yeah that:

Ditto here! That was the exact same experience that I had on the 06.

Cheers,

My experience with the KuryAkyn grips was different than most. I bought a set from Rick Butler who removed them because they caused his hands to get numb when riding. I installed them on my bike and did install the end weights with them. I just took the stock weights and put them on a lathe and turned the shoulders down so that they would fit through the holes in the end of the KuryAkyns and screw in as they always did.

The first trip that I took with them was to the Tail of the Dragon rally. It didn't take long before I felt my hands start to tingle and then get numb. I removed them and put my old grips back on.

I don't know why it happened but it wasn't due to the weights not being there because they were. They just didn't work for me. I loved the looks though.

The thing I noticed about the Kuryakyn grips is they are larger in diameter then the stock grips. It took a little while to get use to them. It wasn't a problem though because I have bigger hands. I have the Stiletto end caps on mine and haven't noticed any handling problems either.

• 2 months later...

I drilled out the ends of the ISO grips so the weights would fit back on then used a washer on the throttle for clearance. I don't know if there is any differance with or without the weights as I haven't ridden without them. I do like the bigger grips though.

I drilled out the ends of the ISO grips so the weights would fit back on then used a washer on the throttle for clearance. I don't know if there is any differance with or without the weights as I haven't ridden without them. I do like the bigger grips though.

That is exactly what I did. I got to ride a few miles the other day and all seemed fine.

I do like the larger diameter grips. Prior to this, I had a set of grip puppies on the grips.

There is a one other option. Baron makes a set of grip ends that "split the difference" between stock Kuryakyn and stock end weights. See here... I put them on my bike mainly because I didn't have what I needed to do the job right (IMHO). They are not as heavy as the stock ends, but they do have some weight on them, hence the splitting the difference. The best part about them is that they are quite easy to install....remove the stock Kury end, replace with Baron end...I have attached a view shots to see them on the bike (sorry, no close ups)

I'm in the process of installing new grips as well. Here are some pictures for those who have't done this process yet. Hope it helps. I'll add more as I go along. I used a Dremel tool and it took approx 5 min per grip making sure not to make it too hot. I added a few more pic's....it may be of some help to someone tackling the grip replacement. I wish I could see that locating pin in the back half of the switch housing !!! And only 3-4 months and I can try them out!!!

Keith

Edited by KeithR
Pic's Added

I'm in the process of installing new grips as well. Here are some pictures for those who have't done this process yet. Hope it helps. I'll add more as I go along. I used a Dremel tool and it took approx 5 min per grip making sure not to make it too hot.

Keith

Your calipers are like mine.........expensive calibrated gems we have..... :whistling: :rotf:

just done this used a #9 unibit to drill out the end of the hand grip so the stock weight moved freely my stock end weight is threaded dont know if they all are anyway i took a 11/16 deepwell socket cut off a piece 11/16 long used that for the throttle side with red locktight got about 4 threads in the nut welded in the bar and on the other side i cut a 3/4 deep well off at 11/16 and doen the some on that side (( I use a fat max tape measure dont have one those fancy caliper things worked with well for me :confused07:file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/medquist/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

• 2 months later...

I opened up the end of the Kuryakyn grips enough so the end weights just fit. I found that a unibit and a dremel tool were the perfect combination for this task and that a 6 x 80 mm socket head screw was just the right length to attach the end weights.

Now my problem is that the throttle sticks unless I back out the screw to the point where the end weight is no longer secure.

How do I get around this problem?

Scott

I noticed the difference. There was more vibration in the grips without the weights. Also, there was no place to rest my right hand when using cruise control.

In order to fit the weights on with the Iso Grips, I used a Dremel tool to increase the size of the hole in the end of the grips. This was a while ago, but it seems to me that I may have also cut off part of the throttle grip sleeve.

Maybe I am misinterpreting what your saying and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can still rest your hand on the throttle grip when your on cruise control. I've heard this mentioned in a previous thread. I believe the throttle is controlled by a separate cable in the splitter box when your on cruise control so the throttle grip doesn't actually turn and you won't interfere with the throttle if you choose to rest your hand there.

I bought the Stilletto ends for mine and they do have about half the weight of the original end weights, but no vibration problems or numb fingers for me so far!

I opened up the end of the Kuryakyn grips enough so the end weights just fit. I found that a unibit and a dremel tool were the perfect combination for this task and that a 6 x 80 mm socket head screw was just the right length to attach the end weights.

Now my problem is that the throttle sticks unless I back out the screw to the point where the end weight is no longer secure.

How do I get around this problem?

Scott

My fix was, I went to Home Depot and got some large lock washers. Take the end weight to make sure the inner diameter of the washer is large enough. Ended up though that I had to grind down the washers so that they fit inside the grip (if that makes sense).

I was able to tighten them down without restricting the throttle at all.

If u use the cruise control,u should not rest your hand on the throttle.The cruise is a vacuum over mechanical control and putting pressure on the throttle tube will screw up your cruise settings.That is the reason

for the extra long bar weights,to provide a hand rest that enables control of the handlebars.Show Chrome makes a grip that requires no modification.All that's needed are 2 longer bolts and some washers on the throttle side to keep it from binding

Guest Saddletramp

I bought the Baron's end weights also simply because they are a bolt on solution. I have large hands and haven't experienced the tingling as of yet. One other reason for going with the Baron's end-weight was for the possibility of having to reinstall the factory grips.:detective:

• 1 year later...
Guest PlaneCrazy
My fix was, I went to Home Depot and got some large lock washers. Take the end weight to make sure the inner diameter of the washer is large enough. Ended up though that I had to grind down the washers so that they fit inside the grip (if that makes sense).

I was able to tighten them down without restricting the throttle at all.

This is what I did.

I hate modding anything on the bike that's irreversable, so I always try to mod the part and not the bike. So I used a large unibit to bore out the ISO grips so the stock bar weights fit. Then I installed the grips and did a rough measurement for the right hand one to see how much of a spacer I needed to install the weight but leave the grip free to rotate. I then stacked 5 really thick split-washers on a bolt and compressed them together. Then I took that stack of washers to the bench grinder and red-neck machined them down to the proper diameter to match the bar weights O.D.

I found this was a good solution because the stack of lock washers fit together and had major 'locking action' still, which gave me some piece of mind because there wasn't much thread length left on the bar weight. I did the final assembly with blue Loc-Tite on the weights and everything is super tight now. Throttle moves smooth as silk and there's absolutely no vibration in my hands anymore. I hated the stock grips because I was so used to thick ISO grips before on my other bikes.

• 8 months later...

I took a little bit of a different approach to get my bar ends to fit with my ISO's. I took one grip and both bar end weights to a machine shop. They lathed the bar end wieght collar down to a diameter that fits inside of the ISO's! Looks great and they fit perfectly!

• 5 months later...

So there IS a way to have these grips again. We had them on our old bike and Mike loved them. Went to the dealer to get this done and they wouldn't do it because of the weights issue. I'll show him this thread and see what he thinks about it again. Thanks for the info!