IGNORED

Hit a Brick Wall at the Finish Line!!

Now, about this valve cover gasket being a snap to change out on my '85, the only thing that snapped was my brain. I was very pleased to see how easy it was to lift the cover, but not so happy in finding out that it would not slide out over the cam chain. About 1/4" more clearance and I would have crossed the finish line. Not to mention that I almost damaged the old gasket in the process. Am I cursed, or what?

:bang head:

Not at all, you have the upper plastic heat shield removed? You have the water hose pulled toward the right side of the cover? You DON'T want that hose blocking the right forward part of the cover. With that, you "should" be able to JUST get it up enough to work out... Like most things on this bike, it doesn't come right out, it's a bit of a Japanese puzzle... lift a bit, turn a bit, slide a bit, lift a bit...

Not at all, you have the upper plastic heat shield removed? You have the water hose pulled toward the right side of the cover? You DON'T want that hose blocking the right forward part of the cover. With that, you "should" be able to JUST get it up enough to work out... Like most things on this bike, it doesn't come right out, it's a bit of a Japanese puzzle... lift a bit, turn a bit, slide a bit, lift a bit...

bit of a PIA in my eyes. not as easy as some want me to believe. Changed mine last summer. Damn glad I have the tool selection I do to make it easier tho. I have done worse.

On the front cover I have taken the radiator loose and moved it forward. It makes it so much easier and less PIA. Another tip that I'll give is use RTV in the channel and push the gasket into it and let it set over night. This way when your tring to move it around it wont fall all over the place.

I too changed the valve gaskets on my 84, the rear was a charm to replace it took a total of about 20 minutes from start to finish t gasket on the other hand a task in itself. took 2 days of back and forth or should I say mood swings to finally get that cover back on... It would probably be easir to pull the engine next time..LOL

Stay safe and keep the rubber on the road..:fingers-crossed-emo

Michael :scubadive:

I too changed the valve gaskets on my 84, the rear was a charm to replace it took a total of about 20 minutes from start to finish t gasket on the other hand a task in itself. took 2 days of back and forth or should I say mood swings to finally get that cover back on... It would probably be easir to pull the engine next time..LOL

Stay safe and keep the rubber on the road..:fingers-crossed-emo

Michael :scubadive:

Michael, help me out here. Are you saying the rear cover was tough to get back on?

They are a pain but I found that if you remove the air box and carbs from intake manifolds you have pleanty of clearence to get the covers off and on. To get the gaskets in place, I was told, but I have not tried it yet (but it makes sense to me), to fill groove on covers with gasket sealer place valve cover gasket in grove all the way around then turn upside down onto a flat surface and let sit over night while sealer sets. The next morning you can place cover and gasket on head with no problem and gasket does not fall out all over the place.

On the front cover I have taken the radiator loose and moved it forward. It makes it so much easier and less PIA. Another tip that I'll give is use RTV in the channel and push the gasket into it and let it set over night. This way when your tring to move it around it wont fall all over the place

:sign yeah that:

Like squidley said, move the radiator out of the way, use rtv to glue in the gasket and if ya don't bump it too much it'll make a much easier job.:2cents: