IGNORED

how many running c/t's

gunboat

Yes, I had WWs put on my Federal rear tire. It's on the expensive side, but still cheaper in the long run than MTs are. I'd rather not have to do that again to get WWs on a front radial tire. A MT won't last long enough to justify the cost. But nobody seems to make a radial WW MT. The radial rear tire does ride a lot softer than the bias ply MT. The wife really likes it. So I'm not sure what I'll do for the front next time yet. But the bottom line is that I will have WWs. This bike just doesn't look right without them. Life would be a little easier if I didn't have to have them.

And... you're welcome.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm freaking out! Keep in mind that I'm new here. Are you guys saying that you run car tires on your RSV's? I ride a 00 RSV MM. Can I do that on it also and if so what is the recommended tire and where do you guys get them? This is awesome news if I'm hearing it right. Mileage on MT's sucks.

Slick97spirit, http://forums.delphiforums.com/DarkSiding/start this link will lead u to the "Dark Side".Lots of information,and personal experiance from others who have gone this route.Because none of this is "recommened" practice,u do so, accepting responsibility for your own actions.Speaking for myself,I've switched to a radial car tire[CT] on the back and a radial motorcycle tire[MT] on the front of my '07 RSTD.As I stated in an earlier post on this thread,I could't afford to keep MTtires on this beast.It's apparently the nature of this beast to eat tires,but I like the bike to much to pass it off for this reason alone.It is the only cloud on the Royal Star parade as far as I'm concerned.Well,anyway,go to that site and your questions will be answeared and u can make up your own mind as to what u want to do.There are good people there to help if u have any questions.Best of luck,Herb.

Now I'm freaking out! Keep in mind that I'm new here. Are you guys saying that you run car tires on your RSV's? I ride a 00 RSV MM. Can I do that on it also and if so what is the recommended tire and where do you guys get them? This is awesome news if I'm hearing it right. Mileage on MT's sucks.

You might want to check out this thread: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23909 before you get too excited. Car Tires aren't always the best thing on a Venture. Can you run one? Yes, but it will change the handling and not for the better. Some folks are willing to live with the inherent instability of a Car Tire, but I'm not.

28,800 mls on the 155-80-15,on a 1994 voyager,low speed handling[below 25 mph]uneven surfaces,is a lillle tricky,the rear tire is almost,full contact,with the road now,not mutch round left,it want to dart,left or right,at low speeds,on uneven surface still has tread left,maybe 30-40%,better on wet road,lots better on graval roads,less rain grove sway,on heavy braking,you can hear it squall before it locks up,less ground clearance,next tire will be 165-80-15,have ride-on in the tire,pulled one small nail out,don't know how long it was in there,seams to hold air pressure better,the only time i have put air in was in 30 deg weather,seams like it runs cooler than the front

lowell

Yes, a few of us are running CTs on the back of the bike. More miles out of a tire is the reason. I don't think anyone here has worn one out yet. A couple of them here are going on 30,000 some miles.

The bike will handle a little differently, but no more different than getting on a different and unfamiliar bike. If it feels a little sloppy, tighten the steering bearings. They probably needed it anyway.

The size that most closely matches the stock size MT is 165/80R15. It's an unusual size, not all manufacturers make this size of tire, and you may have to look around a little, or just order one. Federal, Kumho, and Nexen all make one. Vredestein makes a 165HR15 that I think would be the same thing, but I don't know of anyone who has tried this one.

If you want WWs, dbtires can put a WW on literally any tire you want, and of course they can do both sides of the same tire. I had them do me up a Federal. In the past, I've gone through a set of tires a year. At that rate, it looks like this tire will last me three or four years.

As soon as I wear out the new Dunlop I have on the rear of my 06 Venture I will be putting a new rear CT on my scoot. With all the miles I travel doing Patriot Guard Missions I can't afford to go through 2 new rear tires in a riding season.

I still can't figure out why the MC tire manufacturer's can't give us a MC tire that equals the mileage on a CT..........:think:

Of course they can make MT tires get better mileage. But they have a good little thing going for themselves here. Why would they wreck it and reduce their sales? If they ever do make tires to last longer, they will increase the price to where it offsets their income loss. They could never do without.

There is the issue too, of contact patch size. It has been proven with a durometer that CTs have a softer rubber compound than MTs do. I was surprised at this myself, but I have to believe the meter results. So why do CTs wear better? The scrubbing action of the road is spread out over a much larger area on a CT than it is on a MT.

I ride with a local MC Club and to date there are 16 members who have put CT's on their bikes. Every one of them swears they'll never go back to MC tires on the rears.

I have seen no definitive proof that CT's are hazardous to a bike's handling or safety. I have ridden behind many of these guys in both the twisties and when it has been raining with no detrimental effects noted to the bikes or their road capabilities.

Too bad there is not one MC tire producer who could give us a tire that has the endurance of a CT. IMHO they would make a killing and perhaps the rest of the tire companies would fall into line as well.

The 47 Harley that I owned back in 1958 thru 1961 had a tire on it when I bought it that was basicly shaped just like a Car Tire, front and rear.

At the time I bought a tire from Sears and Roebuck ( motorcycle tire) that was shaped more like current day bike tires.

Would be interesting to check suppliers of tires for Restoreing OLD bikes, and take a look at what was being used before around the years of 1953 on U.S. made motorcycles.

hi all

i now have over 22,000 miles on my c/t ( bf goodrich t/a radial p155/80r 15). still using a metzeler me880 130/90-16 on the front. have pulled a fully loaded trailer (4,438 miles) behind the scoot, no issuses to report. can't say who has the most miles now.

best reguards

don c.

You might want to check out this thread: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23909 before you get too excited. Car Tires aren't always the best thing on a Venture. Can you run one? Yes, but it will change the handling and not for the better. Some folks are willing to live with the inherent instability of a Car Tire, but I'm not.

All I can speak of is my experience but I can't tell any difference in the handling. I still ride it exactly the same and don't even think about it. And that is a comment that I have heard some others make on the Darksiders forum. FYI, I'm running 40lbs where most start adjusting it down after a break-in period. As long as it keeps riding and handling as it does, I'll keep it there.

As I like to say... My Kumho was 1/3 the price of a M/T, should get three times the mileage and has about 25% higher weight rating. And no change of handling in my case. Can't beat that!

The ONLY negative was the high pressure to seat it. It took 110lbs on one side and 112 lbs on the other. Our bike wheels have a bead on the rim lip that, I guess, is a retaining bead to keep the tire from unseating if you loose pressure. Again, I guess that's what it's for. The tire has to jump that before it seats. I tried to find an inexpensive spare wheel when I decided to mount the CT. I was going to have the bead machined off to see if that helped. But I wasn't willing to spend another $250-$300 just to experiment. :no-no-no:

Someone asked quite a while back about putting a CT on a 1st gen. I don't think he ever did it. It seems like there was a problem with swing arm clearance or a too narrow rim width or something.

Even the 2nd gens are tough to fit because of these reasons. We have to run narrower tires than anyone else doing this. Most other cruiser riders have room for a 195 or 205 sized tire. But the 165 is about all we have room for.

• 3 weeks later...

15K miles on the BF Goodrich 155, wish it would wear faster so I could put the 165 on, but dang it, it refuses to show any wear at all. Had two tail wagging events at lower air pressure, run at 40 PSI now and never a wobble. Both of the events where in cross-winds (40 MPH plus) while passing a semi truck. Neither was scary or uncontrollable, the frame just went harmonic but steady throttle and it cleared. I also had the same thing happen with a motorcycle tire on the rear once, the big bagger just doesn't like the sudden cross wind changes much.

I have since ran the CT up past 100 mph on less windy days (20 MPH) with no issues at all. I also love the ability to launch this big beast. My son runs a BMW K100, we found a back road last weekend and he just had to prove the big tour bike couldn't hang. Sad day for the youngster, he had to back out of the throttle when his rear broke loose and went sideways, I just kept chirping rubber in a straight line.

For my daily commute of 70 miles, my Iron Butt runs, and pulling a trailer, the CT is the only rear tire for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a picture of my old worn out Avon compared to the new Federal. Both tires are mounted and inflated. The Federal CT is a little more rounded than the old worn out Avon, but won't be as rounded as a new MT.

I'm not going to know how the Federal compares to other CTs. This is the only one I've ever done.

Howdy...

Just wanted to acknowledge your Iron Butt membership...

I am Iron Butt Association member number 31124

Steve

15K miles on the BF Goodrich 155, wish it would wear faster so I could put the 165 on, but dang it, it refuses to show any wear at all. Had two tail wagging events at lower air pressure, run at 40 PSI now and never a wobble. Both of the events where in cross-winds (40 MPH plus) while passing a semi truck. Neither was scary or uncontrollable, the frame just went harmonic but steady throttle and it cleared. I also had the same thing happen with a motorcycle tire on the rear once, the big bagger just doesn't like the sudden cross wind changes much.

I have since ran the CT up past 100 mph on less windy days (20 MPH) with no issues at all. I also love the ability to launch this big beast. My son runs a BMW K100, we found a back road last weekend and he just had to prove the big tour bike couldn't hang. Sad day for the youngster, he had to back out of the throttle when his rear broke loose and went sideways, I just kept chirping rubber in a straight line.

For my daily commute of 70 miles, my Iron Butt runs, and pulling a trailer, the CT is the only rear tire for me.

must have clicked on the wrong tire,a KUMHO,showed up last evening,good looking tire more round,than to BFG,BUT i don't care for the spects on this tire,1 ply side,2 steel belts,the side wall is vary soft,1100#load,max air #44,can't seam to find spect on the other tires,BFG, FEDERAL

the BFG,has alot stronger side wall,don't know about any other tires:thumbdown::think:

I found the specs for the BFG T/A Radial...below.

I can look at my BFG and get the ply ratings if you want them...

You can check this link for the Federal specs.... federaltyres.com.au/ss657

at the bottom of the Federal page there is a pdf link that displays a spec chart the 165/80/15 is second from the bottom on that chart.

http://www.customwheelsdirect.com/html/images/tires/BFGoodrich/goodrich.jpg

Radial T/A byBFGoodrich Tires

Specifications for tire

size: 155/80/15

UTQG: 400

Max Load:

Max Inflation Pressure: 35 psi

Tread Depth: Nov-32"

Rim Width Range: 4.5-5.5"

Meas. Rim Width: 4.5"

Section Width: 6.1"

Tread Width: "