IGNORED

Venture vs Goldwing...which is best?

Who Dey

I'm just not old enouth to ride a wing and when I do get old enough I won't be able to get on the thing (too tall). The passenger rides in comfort but how do they board the beast(to much junk in the way). No my RSTD is my choice. If I ever trade it'll be for a strat.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We tried the GoldWing, Ultra Classic, and Venture before we bought our '06 RS Midnight Venture. All nice bikes, but the Venture had the classic motorcycle styling that I prefer, superior comfort, all the amenities, and a great 5 year warranty. :thumbsup2: As for the GW, I just couldn't get as comfortable on it as I could the Venture, or the Ultra Classic for that matter.

gee, i did'nt think my new wing was such a crappy bike. maybe i should rethink the mistake i made buying it. of course i am old and only old guys ride wings. i even need a blockand tackle to get on it . it's so tall. sure will cut the curves as fast as the best of them and out run most of them. guess i'll keep it another year or two. maybe i will find a flaw in it. us old guys need a quiet smooth bike so we can get our rest.:2133:

Guest razazee

I owned an 04 GW and rode the heck out of it for two years.

My complaints were 1) Sitting straight up with feet under me all the time. 2) I am 6'4" and my knees were in the side fairing dash panels all the time. I installed highway pegs and my calfs were sore resting on the side fairing edges. 3) All that plastic took away from the look of riding a motorcycle.

It had plenty of power, as does my ride now. I am a cruiser, not a speed nut.

Slow speed handling is better on my RSV than the GW-my opinion.

I had great wind protection, radio, storage and MPG. All this is the same on my RSV.

End note - I will ride further on this bike, than I did on the GW.

Although I have test rode a goldwing, never was on a new gen Venture. At this point, I personally like the GW riding position I think better than a cruiser type position, but then again, never rode a newer one. In case you didn't hear, Kawasaki re-introduced their Voyager tourer, but this time based on a Vulcan platform. You can read more at the AVA site linked below.

gee, i did'nt think my new wing was such a crappy bike. maybe i should rethink the mistake i made buying it. of course i am old and only old guys ride wings. i even need a blockand tackle to get on it . it's so tall. sure will cut the curves as fast as the best of them and out run most of them. guess i'll keep it another year or two. maybe i will find a flaw in it. us old guys need a quiet smooth bike so we can get our rest.:2133:

I don't think anyone was trying to say you made a mistake - If you are happy with it, that's GREAT, some of us are just built different and don't fit on them. The right choice is the one that is right for YOU. My wife loves her wing (and she aint old either):179:

All this talk about riding position leaves me with one thing to say...

Ride them both before, extensively if you can, before settling on one.

I recently sold my RSV and bought a BMW RT. I was leery of the seating position, because I loved my floorboards and heel-toe shifter as well. I wasn't sure how I'd adjust to having my feet below me and my knees bent (my left knee is sometimes a cause of pain, and I'm only 26). However, after spending a few hours on my dad's '96 Wing, and now a little over 3,500 miles on my RT, I have to say I like the position. I actually don't get as much soreness in my tailbone (even on the stock seat) as I did on my RSV. One of the reasons I think that may be (granted, no scientific evidence here) is that more weight is shifted to my feet and thighs than straight down my spine, which happens when your feet are thrown out front.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take sides, just trying to offer a different opinion. I love the looks of both the RSV and the new Wing, and think they're both quite comfortable. I mean, I've seen both on cross-country trips, so they've both got something going for them.

I grew on the early Harescramble courses and MX tracks of the 60s and 70s.. Even the bikes that I personally modified to compete on lacked HUGELY in suspention so standing up was mandatory.. It was easy for me to take the skills of standing and riding and transfer this to the street.. In my, ummmmmm, older years here I still use those skills all the time and they have saved me on my occasions.. I ride thousands of miles every year on the street now and a lot of those miles are while standing.. I have ridden with groups of people and always shocked at how few of riders are accustomed to doing this, it has also amazed me that the bike manufactures have chosen to produce bikes without foot pegs mounted in a postion to accomadate this..

Cowpuc, I don't care what anyone says, thats a definite perplexion! Hummm,:scratchchin: standing theres always two ways to look at a problem. So what I'm getting from your post is you think the Goldwing riders should stand up and ride?:confused24::D

I have owned a 2005 RSTD and liked the bike and was comfortable on it. The Venture and the RSTD are great bikes. I like the looks of the RSTD better than any bike I have ever had, except maybe my 94 Heritage Classic, but they are close.

However I love my 03 GW too. Way better brakes and handling, fully integrated CB, stereo, and WB. Lots of storage. Took me a while to get used to the riding position, but now I love it.

That is the great thing about this site...everyone is welcome. That is better than either bike.!!!!!!

Thanks Don!

I have owned a 2005 RSTD and liked the bike and was comfortable on it. The Venture and the RSTD are great bikes. I like the looks of the RSTD better than any bike I have ever had, except maybe my 94 Heritage Classic, but they are close.

However I love my 03 GW too. Way better brakes and handling, fully integrated CB, stereo, and WB. Lots of storage. Took me a while to get used to the riding position, but now I love it.

That is the great thing about this site...everyone is welcome. That is better than either bike.!!!!!!

Thanks Don!

That's the way I feel. I pretty much like all touring bikes (except the Victory) and have no problem riding with any of them (except the Victory....;)).

I grew on the early Harescramble courses and MX tracks of the 60s and 70s.. Even the bikes that I personally modified to compete on lacked HUGELY in suspention so standing up was mandatory.. It was easy for me to take the skills of standing and riding and transfer this to the street.. In my, ummmmmm, older years here I still use those skills all the time and they have saved me on my occasions.. I ride thousands of miles every year on the street now and a lot of those miles are while standing.. I have ridden with groups of people and always shocked at how few of riders are accustomed to doing this, it has also amazed me that the bike manufactures have chosen to produce bikes without foot pegs mounted in a postion to accomadate this..

.. I got it Scott, I still ride standing on my pegs, in certain situations. Most of the time it's to get the circulation flowing in my legs. I got to ride the 1800 wing the other day. I liked it over the 1500, but I'm not going to give up "Ginny 1", without a doubt

the best touring machine ever made!:2cents: Leeway

I've had 2 RSVs and a 2008 Goldwing. Although my time on the Goldwing was cut short I think I can honestly and with some expertise, say that both bikes are great but if I was going to buy another bike it would be the Goldwing. I was also afraid of the seating position with the pegs after having those great floorboards for so long but it only took me a short time to get used to the pegs and get comfortable. I especially liked the brakes and the frame mounted fairing.....less buffeting when passing large vehicles and side winds didn't bother the bike at all. The power was awesome....roll on the throttle and it was instant acceleration. Most people I talked to complained about the stock seat; I had no problem with it. And then there's the much superier stereo. The sound was so clear and lots of fidelity.

Like I said in the beginning, my time on the Wing was cut short due to a lady running a red light and broad siding me. Bike has been totaled by the insurance and after two accidents in less than a year I'm calling it quits, at least for the time being. But, unless Yamaha gets off their lazy butts and makes major upgrades my next bike will likely be another Wing. Hell, look at the new Kawasaki.....it's heads above the Yamaha in new technology. I really loved my Ventures but they need to be brought into the 21st century.

i would never berate a venture or rstd, i loved mine. here are some of the things i like about my wing. frame mount fairing, great weather protection. no engine heat, ultra premium audio with plug and play for any device or lighting you want to put anywhere on the bike. single sided swingarm with easy wheel removal no splines to grease, antidive, sportbike like handling with no frame flex, consistant 45 mpg, 1800 cc of balls out stump pulling power from idle to redline, engine smooth as glass even at 1200 rpm two up in 5th gear. fuel injection, electric adjustable head light and rear suspension with digital read out, reverse, interlock brakes, height adjustment on windshield, i can flat foot it and bend my knees. heated seat and grips, gps, abs, airbag, and lower leg warmers available as an option. loads of accessories available at very reasonable prices. wings aren't that expensive if you shop around. i gave $ 16750.00 out the door for my 08 premium audio. and i can extend the honda 3yr. warranty anytime in the next 3 years another 4 yrs for a total of 7 yrs unlimited mileage for $480.00. from direct line parts. i am totally comfortable with the foot pegs now and hardley ever use my highway boards. there is no comparison between the 1500 wing and the 1800 totally different bikes from the ground up. :2133:

I have never driven a GW.How does it handle versus the Venture?
the venture handles pretty good for a big touring bike. i had an rstd with the venture trunk. the wing has a much lower center of gravity due to the aluminum frame and low profile motor. my rstd was heavier to drive into the curves and a little more top heavy. the wing has a very rigid frame and does not wallow like my rstd did. the wallowing was a little unerving at times if you hit a bump at a high degree of lean angle. the wing on the other hand wants to take you deeper into a curve if you let it. i have folded my highway boards up several times on my wing and drug my toe on the ground. i have shorter chrome pegs so i haven't touched them yet. at least i haven't looked. it can make you over confident in the twisties if your not careful. had a slight rain the other day and got the rearend loose in a curve.think i hit some anti freeze. got it right back no problem. i have a secluded clover leaf that i kind of test lean angle on once in awhile my scooter and rstd maxed out about 45 and my wing will pull 50 before things start dragging. my zx14 will probably make 55 or a little more. i don't make a habit of driving crazy but once in awhile when i'm out alone with no cars on the road i get a little agressive. the limiting factor on the wing is things draggingif the wing had about a 3inch shorter wheel base it would be awesome in the handling department. it is one long bike.:2133:

about the wing foot pegs. i bought my wing on a whim. my wife sat on one in jeff city at my st. charles meet and eat, and said the passenger seat was awesome. i sat on a friend of gary n's wing at my meet and eat, and could flat foot it . my rstd was just to top heavy. i came close to dumping it about ten times at parking lot speeds. i bought a vstar 1300 to replace my rstd but my wife hates it even with the corbin touring seat. so i got a killer deal on the wing on ebay from a dealer in arkansas. my first ride was not a good one. could not get along with the foot pegs. since i was already committed to the bike i went for a long saturday ride and decided the bike and i are going to have it out. rode about 300 miles and when i got home had all my problems ironed out. i love the seating position my leg problems have all but gone away. i realized i was not used to bending my legs that far and my tendons were getting tight. thought it was old age. wrong. been riding bikes with pegs all my life so figured it's not the bike it's me. my legs aren't back to the shape when i was 16 but i don't limp any more and i can actually lift my feet and get them up on the pegs on my zx14. i rode it 100 miles and no leg discomfort whatsoever. i ultra, ultra love my wing. i loved my rstd. some times you have to move on and find something more fitting. :2133:

I have never driven a GW.How does it handle versus the Venture?

To me, slow speeds or around town, the Wing feels bigger, more top heavy and harder to handle than my Venture.

Once you get over 30mph, the Wing becomes surprisingly nimble for a big bike. While the Venture never handles badly, even pretty well once you get rid of the stock Brickstone tires, it never is accused of being nimble.

To me, slow speeds or around town, the Wing feels bigger, more top heavy and harder to handle than my Venture.

Once you get over 30mph, the Wing becomes surprisingly nimble for a big bike. While the Venture never handles badly, even pretty well once you get rid of the stock Brickstone tires, it never is accused of being nimble.

your right the wing does show its weight at low speeds i feel more secure when i come to a stop on the wing. although i would'nt win any contests around pylons. it's still a 900 lb. bike. :2133:

• 2 years later...

I just purchased a 2001 Venture and have put a couple of thousand miles on it so far. On two occasions I have flown into U.S. locations and rented 09 Wings for some big trips. Engine wise I prefer the Wing ----I prefer a little less sound and although I am getting used to this bike , I noticed less fatigue with the Wing. My wife as well felt that she needed to get off after two hours for a break. She also noted that on the Wing she could easily look over either shoulder but sitting higher on the Venure felt she always had my helmet in the way. The Wing however is a little more precarious when it comes to weight balance and if you are not careful it will topple over and you cannot stop it. The Venture you can control imbalance easier. Backing out of my garage and day to day short stuff the Venture is easier to deal with and for this reason I would not have a Wing. If I was crossing the country I would perhaps be on a wing however the Venture is easily up to the task.

The Wing however is a little more precarious when it comes to weight balance and if you are not careful it will topple over and you cannot stop it. The Venture you can control imbalance easier. Backing out of my garage and day to day short stuff the Venture is easier to deal with and for this reason I would not have a Wing. If I was crossing the country I would perhaps be on a wing however the Venture is easily up to the task.

My opinion is just the opposite. I feel more comfy on the Wing in slow speed situations. It feels lighter and not top heavy. The RSV is a little more comfy on the hyway. Of course I had 24,000 mile on the RSV and the Butt Butler and some other adjustments, I'm hoping with a little more :mo money:I can get the Wing to the same point. After about 1000 miles on my new to me Wing I rode the RSV to meet its new owner. It felt very heavy and cumbersome. The wife likes both about the same.

My opinion is just the opposite. I feel more comfy on the Wing in slow speed situations. It feels lighter and not top heavy. The RSV is a little more comfy on the hyway. Of course I had 24,000 mile on the RSV and the Butt Butler and some other adjustments, I'm hoping with a little more :mo money:I can get the Wing to the same point. After about 1000 miles on my new to me Wing I rode the RSV to meet its new owner. It felt very heavy and cumbersome. The wife likes both about the same.

I found anything over about 5 or 6 miles an hour the Wing feels much lighter, but from 5 down to 0, it is taller and seems harder to control to me. And the pegs are right where I want to put my feet down, which doesn't help

• 7 months later...

If we're talking for my main bike, the bike that i'll ride every day, it would have to be the wing. But thats because i want yamaha to come out with a new tourer like the goldwing, you know, a new first gen like tourer! So right now, yes goldwing 1800, but i've always liked the 1st gen ventures more than the goldwings because of the looks and style. I do like the 2nd gens too, and will get one in the future