IGNORED

Getting a new trailer from USA to Canada

Midnight

Looking for someone with experience with this. I am looking at buying a MCT trailer from a company in Iowa, pick it up hopefully with the bike and bring it back to Ontario Canada. Does anyone have experience with what happens at the Canadian border when I tow it in? Is it easy to register it in Ontario? Any advice is always appreciated. Jim

Hmmm I've brought 2 over....I had problems with both because of one small thing or another.

Bringing a trailer is the same as a car or bike etc. Make sure it has a VIN. Plus if it doesnt have a title then you need a certificate from the company.

On that certificate the following information must be shown

VIN

axle weight

max tire weight

when it was made

There should also be a sticker on the tongue with this information. Make sure the info is the same on both the letter and the sticker.

The letter must be original and on the company's letter head.

A copy of the bill of sale and a copy of this letter (or title if there is one) must be sent to the US border folks 3 days prior to your return trip. They will run it so see if its stolen.

There is a bit of a caveat there....the US border folks here have told me that if it doesnt have an engine then they dont care about the 3 day rules or stopping to clear the (title).

They have stamped and cleared the title both times for me as a courticy(sp).

You then stop at the Canadian side, let them know what you are doing when you stop, they will tell you were to park and to come inside.

You will need all your original papers at that point. You will pay around 200 bucks to the Registry of Import Vehicles (RIV). You will also pay GST for the cost of the trailer unless its over 15 years old. (if it is older than 15 you dont enter the RIV and save that money too).

The border folk will fill out some paperwork for you. You have to take the trailer to Canadian Tire for the compliance inspection. Before that you have to wait until you get some more paperwork from RIV. This comes in a variety of ways....email, fax, or snail mail.

Once Canadian Tire is done their inspection (this is free,,,,part of the 200 RIV cost) you will get a signed copy of compliance from them. You will later get a nice sticker to put on the trailer saying it complies with Canadian vehicle rules.(you dont have to wait for the sticker before you register the thing, it can take several weeks)

You take the paperwork you got from the border and Canadian Tire along with the original bill of sale and register your trailer. You are probably the same as Manitoba...when you register the thing they will then collect PST.

Sounds like a pain??? It sounds worse than it really is. The real glitch with trailers is making sure that the labels are all on it....VIN, and manufactures label that says the weights and all.

You could also go into the federal site and get this information but if you think my explanation is confusing....lol....wait until you read theirs!

Most little trailers comply with our federal road rules.

Yes I got temporary insurance from Manitoba to go and get my trailers, bikes. Just make sure you have the vehicle identification info for them. I usually got a week at a time for a couple bucks. Dont know how much it costs in Ontario or how movement insurance works for them.

May I ask what the name of the trailer is? Most of them know the rules for us and are more than willing to help. The piggy backer folks were the best when the second hand trailer I bought had problems. The VIN wasnt acceptable to Canada. Piggybacker folks actually called Ottawa and went through VINs until one was found that worked. They then sent me a new VIN card. Great people and a nice little trailer.

Dont be afraid to ask me more if you need to.

Edited by sarges46

Thanks for the help. Its sounding like it may be more hassle than it is worth. I will be caught up in approximately $500 more in taxes and fees.

The trailer I am interested in is located in Iowa. The cost is approximately $1500. I attached the link. The fellow I have been communicating with on email didnt know about Canada DOT stuff or what was involved so that put it in my court.

http://www.thomasamerican.com/trailers_for_sale_inventory.asp?Category=MCT&TrailerType=All

We would probably pick it up when we were over in the states for a few weeks as I have family in Illinois. I was hoping to avoid all of the tax as I could declare it. If 2 of us are gone for more than a week to the states we can bring $750 each back. They may not allow it to happen with this purchase??? I had also hoped to tow it back and just put a trailer plate on it from one of my other trailers until I got it registered. Is that what you did?

I suppose the worst that could happen is I would have to leave it at the border which is two hours away if it didnt go smoothly. Then jump through a bunch of hoops to get it back.

What happens if you just declare it as nomal goods? Would I be able to register it here?

Thanks again for your help. Jim

Hmmm I've brought 2 over....I had problems with both because of one small thing or another.

Bringing a trailer is the same as a car or bike etc. Make sure it has a VIN. Plus if it doesnt have a title then you need a certificate from the company.

On that certificate the following information must be shown

VIN

axle weight

max tire weight

when it was made

There should also be a sticker on the tongue with this information. Make sure the info is the same on both the letter and the sticker.

The letter must be original and on the company's letter head.

A copy of the bill of sale and a copy of this letter (or title if there is one) must be sent to the US border folks 3 days prior to your return trip. They will run it so see if its stolen.

There is a bit of a caveat there....the US border folks here have told me that if it doesnt have an engine then they dont care about the 3 day rules or stopping to clear the (title).

They have stamped and cleared the title both times for me as a courticy(sp).

You then stop at the Canadian side, let them know what you are doing when you stop, they will tell you were to park and to come inside.

You will need all your original papers at that point. You will pay around 200 bucks to the Registry of Import Vehicles (RIV). You will also pay GST for the cost of the trailer unless its over 15 years old. (if it is older than 15 you dont enter the RIV and save that money too).

The border folk will fill out some paperwork for you. You have to take the trailer to Canadian Tire for the compliance inspection. Before that you have to wait until you get some more paperwork from RIV. This comes in a variety of ways....email, fax, or snail mail.

Once Canadian Tire is done their inspection (this is free,,,,part of the 200 RIV cost) you will get a signed copy of compliance from them. You will later get a nice sticker to put on the trailer saying it complies with Canadian vehicle rules.(you dont have to wait for the sticker before you register the thing, it can take several weeks)

You take the paperwork you got from the border and Canadian Tire along with the original bill of sale and register your trailer. You are probably the same as Manitoba...when you register the thing they will then collect PST.

Sounds like a pain??? It sounds worse than it really is. The real glitch with trailers is making sure that the labels are all on it....VIN, and manufactures label that says the weights and all.

You could also go into the federal site and get this information but if you think my explanation is confusing....lol....wait until you read theirs!

Most little trailers comply with our federal road rules.

Yes I got temporary insurance from Manitoba to go and get my trailers, bikes. Just make sure you have the vehicle identification info for them. I usually got a week at a time for a couple bucks. Dont know how much it costs in Ontario or how movement insurance works for them.

May I ask what the name of the trailer is? Most of them know the rules for us and are more than willing to help. The piggy backer folks were the best when the second hand trailer I bought had problems. The VIN wasnt acceptable to Canada. Piggybacker folks actually called Ottawa and went through VINs until one was found that worked. They then sent me a new VIN card. Great people and a nice little trailer.

Dont be afraid to ask me more if you need to.

Could it be possible to simply slip a previous trailer plate on that is already owned by you on the new trailer and slip it thru the border that way? Then after getting home get all the paper work done to fully legalize it?

Is it worth the aggravation of possibly getting busted by the border folks? What's worse case scenario?

Larry

Could it be possible to simply slip a previous trailer plate on that is already owned by you on the new trailer and slip it thru the border that way? Then after getting home get all the paper work done to fully legalize it?

Is it worth the aggravation of possibly getting busted by the border folks? What's worse case scenario?

Larry

He loses the scoot & the Feds sell it........ :bang head: :canada:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

here is the canadian customs site........ note the section that if all the paperwork is not correct at the border, and give 72 hrs advance notice, the possibility of them crushing it at your expense while you watch, would be a deterrant to me........ but then again...... people get it done , so there must be a way.......rules got tight last year JOHN

My question would be, how would they know, if you rode down, picked up the trailer, and rode back with it? Would they really know that you came down without one?

Steve

There is a photo taken of every vehicles plate number leaving Canada, when returning to the border the camera in the booth allows the agents to key in your number and track when you left and from which crossing. I would think if a plate shows up that they dont have a shot of leaving the country would be first inline for a good search.

Brian

The first thing I learned from importing is to be honest! Do the paperwork.

You will never register it in Canada if you bring it in with another plate (providing you dont get caught!). The new trailers have a VIN and thats the clincher.

It is easy in the US as some states dont even require a plate for these small trailers.

My camper was never plated and didnt have a VIN or a title. Got a buddy down there to buy the thing for me, title it then sell it to me. It ended up registered as home-made. That was fun and I still owe Boo a beer or two for his efforts!

Remember if you buy from Canada you will pay GST and PST anyway...so keep that in mind. The only additional cost is the Registry of Import Vehicle program you must register the trailer through...around 200 bucks.

Lots to think of....sometimes it is cheaper to buy at home.....but I truly havent seen it yet regarding bikes, cars or trailers of any sort!

I bought a Aspen Classic camper trailer from Trailmaster in Wood Dale Ill and brought it back accross the border in Houlton Maine in August ,i was only at the border for no more than 20 minutes,i was in the US for 8 days so i had $750.00 excemption,and you pay gst on cost minus $750.00 and govt charges you $204.00 import tax,i had it inspected at Canadian Tire free of cost and payed provincial tax when i registered it. cost minus $750.00 excemption. i still saved alot if i had bought it in Canada.The company that you buy from in USA should be able to give you proper paperwork that is needed for customs,i did not stop at US side coming back,if you do not declare at canada customs you risk losing bike and trailer ,and if you do get through customs you will not be able to register and you will not be able to sell ,,i thought about doing that but the risk is not worth it,

good luck.

Jim

http://www.riv.ca is where the info is. US requires bill of sale 72 hours at the border. A bit of work but not that bad.

There is one way you can get it licensed but warning it is not legal. Go to Ontaro's motor vehicle tell them you built a trailer. They ask how many axles, what colour, what weight (in kg's). After you pay 25 bucks they give you the ownership and plate. Just go get it and come home. I am not recomending this option.

If it has a S/N plate or manufactures plate on it they will know.

Brad